Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
went with techie thief again.

Didnt find cloaking field this time around, where was it? Any chance its behind computer 5 check in armory? Even with mastermind and new checks added I couldnt get computers that high. Perhaps it should be adjusted? Didnt get computers training from frog lady, it its still a thing(but then no way I can get it on this character).

I was under impression that id be able to sneak into black hand fort in the end. Instead I got teleported few times and reached end of game?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
As few others, I'm also dissapointed in general by the Factory but that's simply due to my own expectations: from early descriptions I pictured it to be much more open and full of content while as a transit zone like Dead River it's actually pretty great, just needs some little places here and there to explore, it's a huge location after all. More importantly, the bulk of it: the writing and its few encounters (although haven't seen the last one, should've check it before the beta changes) both awesome for my taste. I mean...

We are planning next week to make an exploration update to the factory, in which you will be able to explore several side locations.

The Factory also suffers as the Armory from tab-scouting, fog of war basically loses its purpose:

Yep, known issue, we need to create a system for properly hiding them.

Lastly, even if it's far too late, I'd like to raise the loot question one more time: perhaps it would be better to bluntly turn off in-combat looting as well as after-combat in fraction related fights? Adjust that somehow by adding dialogue lines and rewards like "here's your cut" but instead it would strengthen economy balance by a lot because I feel like we'll see mostly very poor trade stocks in the Habitat since players might have too deep pockets by then. It also would've made more sense to attack Detroit in the Factory case - to get more/better gear for all Keepers as a preparations to assaulting the Black Hand.

We are looking into different ways of handling combat looting, especially in these fights.

Didnt find cloaking field this time around, where was it? Any chance its behind computer 5 check in armory? Even with mastermind and new checks added I couldnt get computers that high. Perhaps it should be adjusted? Didnt get computers training from frog lady, it its still a thing(but then no way I can get it on this character).

The check is 4 computers, and yes, it's there. It's a reward for specializing in computers, so with a tag and training you should be able to get it easily. In any case, it will be there waiting for you when you come back.

I was under impression that id be able to sneak into black hand fort in the end. Instead I got teleported few times and reached end of game?

In an upcoming update.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
u5pEXp5.png

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Elhoim

Any update on when you guys are planning NPC AI scripts for walking around and doing shit to make the world come more alive?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
booted old character, solo murder machine(supposedly you can no longer have such strong character).

- 1st encounter - black hand ambush, crushed enemies fine
- went to 'negotiate', decided to kill everyone as usual, got absolutely butchered lol. I assume its not supposed to be winnable then?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
booted old character, solo murder machine(supposedly you can no longer have such strong character).

- 1st encounter - black hand ambush, crushed enemies fine
- went to 'negotiate', decided to kill everyone as usual, got absolutely butchered lol. I assume its not supposed to be winnable then?
Quite a few people beat it, including Pink Eye

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've been happily digging into this like that meme and it's cake, but one thing is bothering me: the "armor" stat. Do I understand correctly that this is the system that is reducing the penalties present on armor, to be less than their base values? And the only way to improve the Armor skill is to be shot at (or hit?)? So, if the character isn't being shot at a lot, the armor skill essentially remains flat? I couldn't help myself and a made a hybrid-ish glass cannon mastermind pistelero, with Evans doing tank duty (really should have paid more attention to CHA..) and dude's decent initiative is simply ruined by any armor that isn't a wet sheet of paper.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>if you play a mobile character that doesn't get a lot of action, the armor skill essentially remains flat?
Not really. Even a high dodge character is still going to get hit. See:
My girl got hit enough times that was she was able to level up armor skill to decent levels. If the skill was tagged, it'd probably be at five or six.
>dude's decent initiative is simply ruined by any armor that isn't a wet sheet of paper.
Get the feat, "Armored Warfare" - it increases armor handling skill, which advertently lessens the penalties of wearing heavier equipment.

agris

Arcane
Patron
thanks Pink Eye - it took me looking at that screenshot to realize there's an "armor handling" skill and that it derives from STR & CON, maybe using my one implant on that spine makes sense.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Was it solo?
Nah. I did it with melee Faythe. See:

I used disruptor on sniper unit - he can shoot you down even through smokie + high evasion. So denying him first turn is important. Panic state also reduces his action points in consequent turns. There are two opportunities in which you can get a disruptor, siding with Jonas or killing a frog at armory. I suppose if you're going to be doing this encounter solo, you'll need both disruptors. Next I threw a stasis nade at one of the enemy, effectively taking them out of the game for a couple of turns. This leaves you with six enemy units to contend with (If you have another statsis, enemy count will be reduced to possibly four). Anyways, it sounds tricky to deal with that many units, but if you find a nice choke point to hold the line. They can be easy to deal with. This is where me and Faythe held the line:
The real challenge is keeping Private Smiles alive - very important she stays alive, else you'll have less friendly units for Black Hand siege. Plus, if she survives. She'll get decent skill experience from the whole ordeal. Which is quite nice for the Black Hand siege.

If you beat the encounter. You get some nice loots out of it:
Though I don't know if there is another way to get that cool rifle. I hope the rifle is exclusive loot for beating the encounter.

Binky

Cipher
It's a tough but doable fight. From what've read on Steam it used to be harder.

I did it solo (with Smiles). Had distortion field on. Threw a disruptor grenade on Bart and the two melee goons. Then I threw a medium gas grenade on Bart, his right goon, and a shooter nearby. Fled behind the couch with Smiles. Used a smoke grenade on the left side in front of the couch. Enemies (except the sniper) rushed forward and either got into the smoke or the poison cloud. Bart is beefing up the accuracy of his team so he's gotta go ASAP. Poison shaves his HP and his head is unprotected. After him, melee goons were a priority to dispatch. Sniper was the last to die.

I approve. More tuff fights please.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
OMG! OMG! I DID IT! I DEFEATED BART SOLO! I am victorious!

I had to use Private Smiles as bait, but I freaking did it. Woo! Rest in peace Private Smiles. You are definitely NOT sergeant material. No sergeant will force me into a suicidal fight like that. Anyways. That was a test of pure endurance, goodness gracious almighty.

jackofshadows

Magister
Nicely done. All that's left now is to do a proper solo (go to the real negotiations and choose "this gives you a headache" line instead). I'm not even going to try, had enough with "soft" solo with Smiley. Great encounter.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Kay. I'm out of everything for the final fight. Well not everything, but I don't have any more smokies, trader at fort is out of smokies too - because I bought them all. Thus the final fight is pretty difficult. It's not my fault! I have to use everything in these encounters. Game is so much harder without my favorite companion carrying me...
fBUR7Ge.png

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller

Vince, can you give insight into when you will re-iterate/implement more of the final sound design/music etc. in terms of the overall development plan you laid out earlier?

Can you also elaborate on when you might be able to implement NPC routines such as walking back and forth etc. to make the world seems more alive and less static?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vince, can you give insight into when you will re-iterate/implement more of the final sound design/music etc. in terms of the overall development plan you laid out earlier?
No idea, since that's not my area (and I have more pressing things to worry about). All I know is that our composer/sound designer is working on it, he has plenty of time and he's never let us down before.

Can you also elaborate on when you might be able to implement NPC routines such as walking back and forth etc. to make the world seems more alive and less static?
It requires animations and programming support, which makes it a relatively low priority item. The animator is working on the creatures, the droid is next. After that he can fully focus on the civilian animations. The programmer is busy with more urgent stuff that's needed right now. So while it's definitely coming, I don't think it will be done in the next 3 months.

Our top (and only) priority is the new content, the rest will have to wait.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7961.0.html

We think it's ready, so give it a go when you have time (it's on the beta branch now)

- 3 pre-made characters
- improved visuals and level design
- lots of exploration, skill checks, looting, etc
- more party banter and NPC comments (will be expanded in the future, testing it now)
- a proper stealth run when thrown in jail
- a new energy pistol, upgradable in the future
- key rebinding
- tons of fixes (will leave it for a changelog tomorrow)

Let us know what you think, good or bad.

jackofshadows

Magister
Factory looks so much better now. I've no idea how to get into some areas though, is it tied to specific branches like doublecross Keepers so you can move the boxes aside?

This check is still looks like this, is it intended? I beleive I've seen another one too.
35C29400A84CAE1C8AE7D68CEA3F2B3EAC963CD1
This looks like it's still part of the dialogue which is kinda awkward
55552ECEAE8C122071BBCEBCD5B91155D50E9930
No idea how to get here, too (didn't finish the stealth run yet though)
20FD84B834794B2DCB077990543944000368DA0F

vota DC

Augur
Is solo better for stealth? You couldn't bring your companions without fighting in the final base in Fallout 2. Also what if your impersonate Is a success but your companions ruin your cover?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom