Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Early Access Update: New Location - Shuttle Bay

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio

The next location to be added to the Colony Ship Early Access build is the Shuttle Bay, a relatively intact area that borders the ship's Habitat. The Shuttle Bay is controlled by Jackson's Riflemen, a band of roughneck mercenaries first described in a development update published way back in 2016. The fortified rooftops of the Habitat will also become accessible in this update, although as the game's primary quest hub, the Habitat itself won't be ready until at least February. Here's the update announcement:

This update adds another location - the Shuttle Bay. Now you can explore 6 locations out of 12, roughly 40% of the game. The next stop is the Habitat, the home of the three main factions and a major quest hub. It will require twice as much work as any other location and won't be released until Feb. In the meantime we'll focus on the systems and balance, a tutorial, and difficulty modes, so if you find the default mode too overwhelming, wait another month.

The Shuttle Bay survived the Mutiny intact but like everything else it's been looted in the interim, the life support systems and emergency supplies stripped, and the shuttle interiors used by generations of squatters.

Moses Jackson's Riflemen, a small mercenary outfit, claimed the Shuttle Bay a few years ago, cleaning up and doing their best to make it a permanent home. Their efforts quickly drew the attention of discontented folks from the Habitat, and even the Pit. Soon, scores of people were heading for this small island of safety and stability. The Habitat's higher-ups look less favorably on the Shuttle Bay's new status, and have been eyeing the growing numbers on their border with great concern.

You also get the first glimpse of the Habitat in this update, the rooftop level. Before the Mutiny, the rooftops of the Habitat's four mega-structures supported a sprawling amusement park. There, the people of the Ship could experience at least a few of the novelties they would never enjoy on Earth or Proxima: walk barefoot on real green grass –courtesy of Hydroponics– or soft, red-tinted 'Proxima' sand; sit under tall, artificial trees; and watch the sunrise on gigantic screens suspended all around. This last was said to be indistinguishable from the real thing, not that anyone aboard had ever seen it.

Nowadays, the three remaining rooftops are heavily fortified platforms, patrolled by armed guards. The sky-screens went dark long ago, a frivolous luxury in a decaying world. The grass underfoot and simulations of golden fields have likewise vanished, replaced by watchtowers and checkpoints. With enemies on all sides, cheap entertainment is a useless distraction from reality and its harsh demands.​

Aww yeah, we're getting close to the good stuff now. As mentioned, a significant non-content update is scheduled for December, although I imagine it may slip into next year.

Viata

Arcane
I have ignored this game so far. Not because the game sucks, but because I want to try this game when they finish it and the only thing I want to know about it is which dev made it. Anyone has any idea when they plan to finish it?

jackofshadows

Magister
I have ignored this game so far. Not because the game sucks, but because I want to try this game when they finish it and the only thing I want to know about it is which dev made it. Anyone has any idea when they plan to finish it?
https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11703

As you see, there's a slight delay already in one month or so. Expect release at the end of 2022 or perhaps q1 2023 at worst I think.

Regardless, you could try the combat demo on steam: to grope the systems w/o any spoilers.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Aww yeah, we're getting close to the good stuff now. As mentioned, a significant non-content update is scheduled for December, although I imagine it may slip into next year.

I'm pretty sure we are going to hit this one, it's mostly tweaking systems. Area creation, with all the assets and quests is what take a lot of time.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I got the game a while ago, is the existing content worth a playthrough as is, or should I wait until the game is more complete?

Either way, I'm looking forward to this project's completion with interest.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I got the game a while ago, is the existing content worth a playthrough as is, or should I wait until the game is more complete?

I'd say you can give it a go if you are willing to restart for a full playthrough once it's complete. In some ways, it's like a "Season 1" of a series. There's closure on the events, but lots of more things to come.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
17566.png

The more I look at this picture, the more I think that visually, this game looks like a mental asylum paintbrushed in photoshop, like an isometric Star Citizen, a husk devoid of any panache, a cold and barren landscape only worthy of the digital artistic bankruptcy.

I hope that my constructive criticism is put to good use :)

Also, fuckin holographic palm trees? GTFO...

jac8awol

Arbiter
When was this mutiny, yesterday? The artificial trees and grass are right there, all still perfectly functional and spotless. That's my only criticism with this game, everything is way too clean and maintained. The visuals do not fit the text.
Anyway, already bought the game, looking forward to full release.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Also, fuckin holographic palm trees? GTFO...
idk, it seems fitting in that it's a tacky, low-effort manner for higher-ups to disguise the living conditions of a shithole with a symbol of luxurious lifestyles.
It may also be a coincidence, but it reminds me too of how in Buenos Aires some municipalities had planted trees on the sides of the highways that had ghettos installed right next to them to cover them under the guise of being eco-friendly. One that I often saw, as it was close to home, was lined up with palm trees.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Having just checked it out, the Habitat is clearly in an early stage of development. There is nothing there except the exit to the Shuttle Bay. I don't think this is indicative of its final look. I'm pretty sure that texture with the broken glass isn't supposed to repeat for every handrail, for example.

Looking forward to playing the full game. I didn't want to spoil the game for myself but couldn't resist.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Having just checked it out, the Habitat is clearly in an early stage of development. There is nothing there except the exit to the Shuttle Bay. I don't think this is indicative of its final look. I'm pretty sure that texture with the broken glass isn't supposed to repeat for every handrail, for example.
Correct. We added it to give the players an option to save after the Factory, so it's very temporary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom