Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
There is probably some combo of your main mc and jed both with heart implants, good boots, and good masks that might be able to handle it the first time through but I never really tried after sampling how much damage the gas did.
heart + firefighter helmet are your friend. They basically negate frogs and creeper in a1. Did it on my ultra squishy hybrid solo

kangaxx

Arbiter
I think I have ballsed up, but I like how this is possible:

I returned from the Habitat and went almost directly to Mission Control after sorting out the Pit.

I ran into Shadow again by the eye door, decided not to fight Ol Bub just yet, but Faythe doesn't quite have the hacking skills required to knock out the turrets. I'm not going to be able to access the lower levels on this playthrough am I?

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
(...)
+Good itemization. You kill a tough foe, you get a cool reward that might just make the difference next time. A simple principle, yet so many games get it wrong. Not this one.
(...)
I both agree and disagree with this part. You're right that beating tough foes can give great item rewards and I agree that this is a very good thing. However, I don't think that the itemization in general is well done as there is a lot of vendor trash: It's hard to get excited about the next dozen of shitty boots which fetch ten credits each. As a result, I feel that fighting isn't really worth it unless you know that one of the foes will have some sweet loot which is rather rare.

Modron

Arcane

I returned from the Habitat and went almost directly to Mission Control after sorting out the Pit.

I ran into Shadow again by the eye door, decided not to fight Ol Bub just yet, but Faythe doesn't quite have the hacking skills required to knock out the turrets. I'm not going to be able to access the lower levels on this playthrough am I?
You could always send in Romeo and/or part ways peacefully via speech checks. If you can't do either: strategic use of stasis, pulse, and disruptor grenades make every fight possible.

Alpharius

Scholar

I think there should be an autosave before you talk to shadow so you could load it and come later.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Sadly I'm missing parts for Romeo and I'm fairly sure I've seen all of the dungeon that I can access with my skills. Might have to rely on a savescum this time around.

Edit: and the departing peacefully was what I meant by "I won't be able to access the lower levels." He seals it off if you do that.

edit 2: fighting even with funky grenades also isn't going to work for me because I get wiped before my turn.

newageofpower

Novice
Sadly I'm missing parts for Romeo and I'm fairly sure I've seen all of the dungeon that I can access with my skills. Might have to rely on a savescum this time around.

Edit: and the departing peacefully was what I meant by "I won't be able to access the lower levels." He seals it off if you do that.

edit 2: fighting even with funky grenades also isn't going to work for me because I get wiped before my turn.
IIRC basic Romeo with no upgrades is quite minimalistic in requirements. If your initiative is too low start your team cloaked, I had like 3 cloaking devices after Chapter 2.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
where is exo spine in a1?
edit: nvm, its in house of horrors

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane

I was in a similar position and the advice I got that worked was to install a neural uplink on main character (+1 Int) and then overclock it (+1 Int). Advancing to the next even number of Int gives a new tag skill. I was already training Electronics on main character so by tagging Electronics, the skill was high enough to do the needful. In your case, this may not work because Faythe has been training Electronics and by overclocking her implant, she will have 9 Int, which won't give a tag skill.

I also thought that I couldn't get all the Romeo parts but I had missed an accessible area. You need the gyro, head and armor. If you say which piece you are missing, someone here can probably tell you where it is. The armor, the piece I was missing, is in a secret area of Mission Control. You find the door by climbing down through a hole in the floor. I thought I had explored everything I could access but had never actually jumped down that particular hole. I don't remember where I got the other two parts.....

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Alpharius how was your sneak? Im happy to report that my stabby 12con hybrid managed full clear pre fort.
Having to juggle sneak/talking/combat was annoying however.
And now I have first issue: in fort staton at the very beginning there is 6 sneak opportunity. My character is at 5 sneak. Were you able to clear it?
I do not have mastermind feat yet as I need to overclock. I think I've hit my first issue?
I might have fallen out of the train

Also revolver would feel so much safer as compared to daggers... I guess i might have to restart

Jrpgfan

Erudite
There is probably some combo of your main mc and jed both with heart implants, good boots, and good masks that might be able to handle it the first time through but I never really tried after sampling how much damage the gas did.
heart + firefighter helmet are your friend. They basically negate frogs and creeper in a1. Did it on my ultra squishy hybrid solo
Energy Vest helps a lot with the frogs on ch1, because it makes you completely immune against knockdown.

Alpharius

Scholar
Alpharius how was your sneak? Im happy to report that my stabby 12con hybrid managed full clear pre fort.
And now I have first issue: in fort staton at the very beginning there is 6 sneak opportunity. My character is at 5 sneak. Were you able to clear it?
I do not have mastermind feat yet as I need to overclock. I think I've hit my first issue?
I was always 1 sneak short there too. Shouldn't be a problem unless you already have skill monkey+zen stim mutation. :) Otherwise maybe you can rise it to 6 in habitat traitor quest, or sneak in black hand base.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I was always 1 sneak short there too. Shouldn't be a problem unless you already have skill monkey+zen stim mutation. :) Otherwise maybe you can rise it to 6 in habitat traitor quest, or sneak in black hand base.
decided to go with pistolero instead and 7 starting int. Ive reached 6 sneak quickly, like half way through a1. Realized that str implant gives recoil control, so maybe revolver tapping will feel less bad and ill actually use it

Saduj

Arcane
Doesn't the door down that hole require 5 computer though? If it's the same area we're talking about.
Yes, probably. I had computers tagged and it was around 5 or 6 when I finally found that area. Maybe I just remembered it as easily accessed b/c I didn't have a problem with it....

Technomancer

Liturgist
Any combat tips or ways to get around it?

Buy heavy leg armor from mission control top floor merchant. And stick it on Jed, then front place him with evasion gadget to act as frog bait. Ideally find helm with good melee protection (8 DR and higher). Flash bang them and focus psy frog, if possible killing it turn one before it can cast.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Generally, any combat oriented character can immediately grab the heaviest Melee leg armour (Mission Control Shop, 12DR), take off everything else except a Helmet & Disruptor Gadget, and become very competitive (or, in some cases, well nigh indestructible) against frogs straight away.

The more difficult optional fights with psykers require additional steps to secure action economy (Zen stim, Cloaking field, or just a way to alpha blitz the psi enemies), but this immediately renders anything but a larger swarm of frogs relatively routine. A tanky combat char? Just stand there and laugh for about 30 turns

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
this time arond i went to church area first and my stealing wasnt high enough to get key. I've returned after leveling it up and guy with key is no longer there? Now I cant get into juicy apartament

flushfire

Augur
Bit late but anyway:
where is exo spine in a1?
edit: nvm, its in house of horrors
There's also one in Mission Control below the elevator near Hargrave.
Everything in Factory except that door iirc is doable with Sneak 5. I think you can come back to it later. There are still opporunities to level sneak in Habitat, however there are also Sneak 6+ doors there that it gets annoying having to backtrack.
I've returned after leveling it up and guy with key is no longer there? Now I cant get into juicy apartament
He/she should still be there, I always come back for it, although I've never tried coming back after giving the machine to a faction.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
big thanks to Alpharius for idea, my everything hybrid run is over
everythinghybridend.png

didnt do 100% towards the end as I couldnt be bothered to finish all the fights. Not like they would make me stronger considering I wear best everything.
Ultimately I did fail. Turns up that point in cha was important, without it you fail in 2 things, due to single missing point...
- convincing new mother to shut down the engines
- convincing Stanton to help hydro at the end
Annoying as I could do it, could just drop 1 point in dex at char gen.

Anyway, this is my first solo hybrid to kill belzebub!
Also managed to keep pit free(commies path)

throat slitter was crucial to kill everyone in front of armory and call romeo over, picked it at lvl10 for that reason alone.

resolved every single check game was throwing at me(except for Stanton, still would have passed with +1 cha), slotted every piece of cyberware with upgrades. Stole everything, sneaked everywhere, convinced everyone, was able to win every fight(well, didnt try monks).
It was surprisingly easy to keep smiles alive, as with this low evasion everyone targets tank.

mother fight was the hardest, but then I didnt use single stasis/disruptor grenade through whole game so I could trivialize it. As such hardest is act1 as you are very weak combatant.

Picked streetwise whenever I could, clearly no need to have so many speech skills in this game.

In general, if you want to copy this, you resolve problems in following order: speech > sneak > combat. One exception was infiltrating fort, as without it I was missing some sneak xp for habitat.
I was very happy I went with pistols, I often fought in smoke.
char gen:
4 str, overclock to get armored warfare
10 con for fake bio tag
7 per(so you gain access to feats without overclocking, also some secrets require 8per)
7 int (so you can get tag and skill monkey without overclocking, otherwise sneak will fall behind)
5 cha(so you learn from me)
rest into dex

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I'm guessing this is for Skill Monkey to get 6 sneak pre-factory? I was about to ask which sections you sneaked, because I could never get it to 6.
exactly, although it helped with more than just sneak as it did help me equip every implant and open every box/secret available. Edited the answer so its clear.
Edit: thinking about it I did sneak in armory in a1 too, killing 2 enemies on the way(without feats). Gotten grenade cores through sneaking, some combat encounters I did sneak + dispose of rest. Sneaked past all the frogs that I could.
Balancing sneak and talking is incredibly annoying in a1, especially as you get annoyed by low combat stats too. But along the way I realized that my combat stats are low and it doesnt matter, so i stopped trying to fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom