Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colossal Cave Adventure remake from Ken & Roberta Williams

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That said, i fucking hate it when devs come here to shill and hype.
* even if they mean every word, hell, even if it's God's honest truth they're spouting; it's still hyping. And when money's involved, yeah, i fucking hate it when they come here to hype their own shit, or shit they're working in. No exceptions, because rules/precedents being set, norms followed and so on. Sorry man, just being honest.

You heard him Steve, don't come here to talk about how excited you are to be a making a game on a gamer forum.
It's just not cool.
Heh. He's entitled to his opinion - most people around here who know me know that I'm a regular dude who fell into making games, because I was a kid who played adventure games and one day decided to try and make 'em. And, yeah, I got to work on this title with the folks who created Sierra - that was cool as hell, and something I wanted to do since I was like 12! In the end... I hope people PLAY the game and enjoy it, and I'd like it if people bought the stuff I work on, not because I want to finance my second corvette, but so I can maybe make more games. I'm not living in the lap of luxury and my Hyundai needs a new muffler! After the hype of launch dies down and this game is in the rear-view a bit, I hope people just have fun with it. I still have to make Quest for Infamy II somehow!!

negator2vc

Scholar
Ken & Roberta Williams ... Ken & Roberta Williams never changes
The game price is more than enough proof that they still don't check out their "competitors".
Like they did with Sierra.

The game itself looks interesting especially if it's faithful to the original like Blackthorne said before.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Heh. He's entitled to his opinion - most people around here who know me know that I'm a regular dude who fell into making games, because I was a kid who played adventure games and one day decided to try and make 'em. And, yeah, I got to work on this title with the folks who created Sierra - that was cool as hell, and something I wanted to do since I was like 12! In the end... I hope people PLAY the game and enjoy it, and I'd like it if people bought the stuff I work on, not because I want to finance my second corvette, but so I can maybe make more games. I'm not living in the lap of luxury and my Hyundai needs a new muffler! After the hype of launch dies down and this game is in the rear-view a bit, I hope people just have fun with it. I still have to make Quest for Infamy II somehow!!

That's really cool. I appreciate your enthusiasm in making games because you love doing it.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played a few minutes, seems good. Paying $40 is nostalgic for me, so no problem, at least I wasn't counting change this time. Never would have guessed Roberta would be the old dev that didn't dumb everything down in their new game and go on about 'things were done that way due to limitations' or whatever nonsense.

Durq

Novice
I played Colossal Cave for about 90 minutes on the Quest 2. The game seems like it could be pretty cool, but the bugs and clunkiness hampered the experience. On two occasions, using a ladder kicked me outside the map. One save was un-loadable becasue the game somehow loaded me oustide the map into a constantly falling state. Bringing up the map or inventory was annoying because they wouldn't always appear in front of me; I was always having to turn around the room to find where they had loaded. Whenever a little cutscene starts, the game would sometimes shift my perspective away from the cutscene. Locomotion is weird because I have to release the thumbstick every time I want to go straight in a different direction. Anyway, exploring the cave was pretty fun, so I might try this game on PC instead of continuing on the Quest 2.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Well, I can always play it on my brothers' computers when I'm there if that's the case.
Bruh, what's wrong with your avvie?
They changed it to Crispy's old avatar, and I'm reluctant to change it back (or to something else) and just go along. Go along to get along, my new posting posture.

Posters in the hands of an angry Mod.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Blackthorne I see DirectX 11, does this run on W7?
I played 30 minutes last night, so no problem with Win7. Very cool so far, the ambiance and layout of the cave impressed and inspired me.

CEQ4QJh.png

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
" I kind of wish there was a bit more of an overarching story to this game"

But there is a story retard, you're searching for treasure.

" You really need to accept that this is a pure puzzle game"
:incline:

"Which is very different than a lot of those classics Sierra games like KQ and SQ, those are very story driven games character driven games, and this doesn't have that much at all. Which can be a bit of a disappointment
if you're expecting some of those type of Sierra games."

Why would one expect anything else than a puzzle game, the devs were crystal clear about their vision from the start. This guy supposedly worked at Sierra, but he didn't bother to do his research on the game.

He sounds butthurt for the wrong reasons.

Warning: there are 2 early puzzle spoilers in the video.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
"Which is very different than a lot of those classics Sierra games like KQ and SQ, those are very story driven games character driven games, and this doesn't have that much at all. Which can be a bit of a disappointment
Weren't the early games in these series the exact opposite of story/character driven games? KQ1/2 basically just sent you out into the world to find items, and IIRC SQ1 was more a vehicle for jokes. They're just getting back to their roots, but minus the obtuse puzzles you sometimes found in titles like Mystery House.

Neuromancer

Augur
I agree with Kings Quest 1 & 2. The basic story was, that you had to collect some treasure for "reasons". The rest of the games were just a collection of different Fairy Tale tropes.

Space Quest 1 though had some story. It wasn't very deep - since as you suggested, it's mainly a game for jokes - but it was there.

AndyS

Augur
" I kind of wish there was a bit more of an overarching story to this game"

But there is a story retard, you're searching for treasure.

" You really need to accept that this is a pure puzzle game"
:incline:

Why would one expect anything else than a puzzle game, the devs were crystal clear about their vision from the start. This guy supposedly worked at Sierra, but he didn't bother to do his research on the game.
I know he likes to invoke his time at Sierra, and he can provide some insight on that era from time to time, but he was a cog when they were a huge company that had expanded to Seattle and were just about to hit their decline. It's not like he was in the classic Oakhurst building, rubbing shoulders with the Williamses, Al Lowe, and the Two Guys.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
They're just getting back to their roots, but minus the obtuse puzzles you sometimes found in titles like Mystery House.
Being faithful to the original and keeping the difficulty high is a good sign.

From what I've seen so far (not much), the only critique I have is that with this asking price I would've expected it to look a bit better.
Even the 2014 RealMyst ME looks better. Also there's a notable absence of any kind of ambient music, which in cases like this, is required to elevate the experience.

I will probably pick it up when it's available on GOG.

Durq

Novice
The VR version of this game is...inexcusable. At the very least, these three things need to be fixed: bugs, locomotion, interface. The game is worth $0 in its current buggy and clumsy state, so the $39.99 asking price is insulting. Seems like the developers are oblivious to how well-liked adventure VR titles already handle locomotion and interactivity, such as Myst ($29.99), I Expect You To Die ($24.99), Red Matter 2 ($29.99), The Room VR: A Dark Matter ($29.99), Shadowgate VR ($24.99).

I really wanted to like Colossal Cave. I guess that's why I'm so worked up about it. I am surely the intended audience because I love VR games and also love PC point-and-click adventure games. If the developers can fix the bugs, locomotion, and interface, then there is probably a great VR game here.

Edit: I've now played the Steam PC version for about two hours. It's great. The VR version just sucks.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Colossal Caves is completely different from the version I wanted to do - I have a prototype on disk right now called "PLUGH" working title. I may still take a stab at it when I get a few others out. Her version is a little bit mobile-style but that doesn't mean it is not good.

Despite that it really intrigued me. It's about market forces but $39.00 seems a bit steep for the content that is there. A little cheaper and it's an impulse buy.

Fictive Cunt

Novice
The oldest adventure game I've played is King's Quest (and never really had the pleasure to play text-only adventures.) Does knowing the Ur-Adventure lend greater appreciation to all Adventures? And is this new version a reasonable substitute?

Personally I think if they did the tech, it would have been better to come up with an original game, and just use the remake for demo purposes. Surely if Ken was hell-bent on making some game, Roberta could come up with a new fairy-tale. I just don't see the price equaling the experience, regardless of how I'd like to support the Williams in returning to games.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The VR version of this game is...inexcusable. At the very least, these three things need to be fixed: bugs, locomotion, interface. The game is worth $0 in its current buggy and clumsy state, so the $39.99 asking price is insulting. Seems like the developers are oblivious to how well-liked adventure VR titles already handle locomotion and interactivity, such as Myst ($29.99), I Expect You To Die ($24.99), Red Matter 2 ($29.99), The Room VR: A Dark Matter ($29.99), Shadowgate VR ($24.99).

I really wanted to like Colossal Cave. I guess that's why I'm so worked up about it. I am surely the intended audience because I love VR games and also love PC point-and-click adventure games. If the developers can fix the bugs, locomotion, and interface, then there is probably a great VR game here.

Edit: I've now played the Steam PC version for about two hours. It's great. The VR version just sucks.
I know the team has been looking into complaints about the VR version, and updates/changes are happening. Look for an update soon here, they're trying to adjust the VR experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom