Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Draxylon

Savant
First day purchase after watching Sinatar playing this on twitch.
What a beautiful remaster! Just the first loading screen for each game gives you gosebumps
I love the way the game starts throwing you to the face the original "pixel-art" graphics and suddenly gives you the hint to switch to the remastered graphics. This transition is pure magic.
The developers know how to reach your nostalgic soul, for sure. Those filthy trickters....

10/10. Just a masterpiece remaster for masterpiece games. This is a lesson for how to make it. Hope they sell well and could remaster at least C&C Generals with the same quality.

Draxylon

Savant
First day purchase after watching Sinatar playing this on twitch.
What a beautiful remaster! Just the first loading screen for each game gives you gosebumps
I love the way the game starts throwing you to the face the original "pixel-art" graphics and suddenly gives you the hint to switch to the remastered graphics. This transition is pure magic.
The developers know how to reach your nostalgic soul, for sure. Those filthy trickters....

10/10. Just a masterpiece remaster for masterpiece games. This is a lesson for how to make it. Hope they sell well and could remaster at least C&C Generals with the same quality.
Needless to say, taking apart the Nostalgia (by Veidt), they could have fixed the primitive pathfinding issues. BUT, my nostalgia forces me to maintain my 10/10... That's the way it was played before so stick with this!

lightbane

Arcane
So far, it seems the reviews complain that the game has some bugs, but nothing serious. Better wait a few months to polish everything. Also, I still can't believe EA made this without shoving some sort of malware or pay-to-buy DLC yet.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So far, it seems the reviews complain that the game has some bugs, but nothing serious. Better wait a few months to polish everything. Also, I still can't believe EA made this without shoving some sort of malware or pay-to-buy DLC yet.
Indeed. They could easily have added « 2 € for the extra missions. By pack »

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Very Positive reviews in STEAM and this:
YQuT4p.png

I hope RA2 will be next

Luka-boy

Arcane
Well a new Dune movie is in the making so it's not a bad time to make some kind of remaster or at least re-release of Dune 2 + Dune 2000 + Battle for Dune.

Though I think a Tiberian Sun + Red Alert 2 remaster is more likely.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Very Positive reviews in STEAM and this:
YQuT4p.png

I hope RA2 will be next

What would a RA2 remaster even add? It already has conveniences like queues and pretty good graphics. I'd MUCH prefer if they did Dune 2000 next.
One thing people want the most - Steam integrated multiplayer. Just like with TibWars and RA3 - EA linked all their C&C games to gayspy and after this shit died all C&C franchize got cut from multiplayer, meaning the only reasonable way to play it was to download repack from some dedicated community sites to have link to their network. Which is nowhere near numbers of players required to keep game alive.
Yeah, single player is fun for a while, but then it is MP that keeps interest in RTS in a long run

catfood

AGAIN
Dune 2000 is hot garbage, it was was nothing but a complete cash grab when it was released. Imagine playing that primitive piece of shit when you previously had strategy games like Starcraft, Age of Empires, Total Annihilation or Dark reign. :lol:

Naraya

Arcane
For science, I've played a couple of same missions in CnC Remastered and OpenRA. I admit that the remastered art is awesome but it's tough to play a game that doesn't have stances (eg. Attack-Move) so I'm going to treat the remaster as an interesting endeavour but I won't stick to playing it. It is interesting that lack of such features didn't bother me back then.

Also this (of course I know the reason but it still makes you think):
fmuZXjY.png

Naraya

Arcane
Dune 2000 is hot garbage, it was was nothing but a complete cash grab when it was released. Imagine playing that primitive piece of shit when you previously had strategy games like Starcraft, Age of Empires, Total Annihilation or Dark reign. :lol:

Curious - what do you find offensive about Dune 2000? I *loved* Dune 2 but I also quite liked Dune 2000. Of course it's a reskinned RA but other than that it's fine.

catfood

AGAIN

Curious - what do you find offensive about Dune 2000? I *loved* Dune 2 but I also quite liked Dune 2000. Of course it's a reskinned RA but other than that it's fine.

It's more or less a remake of Dune 2. I give that game a pass since it started a genre, however Dune 2000 came at a time when many iterations on the formula and when many improvements on the RTS genre had already been made. For example D2K has 3 nearly identical factions (I believe they only had 1 unique unit each), whereas other C&C clones had already made decisive improvements in that regard, see Dark Reign or KKND. I mean even the original C&C factions where distinct enough. But of course designing, drawing and implementing different units for the factions takes time and it wouldn't be a shameless cash grab if they had actually put any effort into it now would it?

The control is also shit; it uses the same LMB click only method that Dune 2 had. Hello? Who is this? It's 199 fucking 2 and it wants it's game back, bitch! Most mice in 1998 came with at least two buttons, but apparently Westwood didn't get the memo. Many RTS'es of that time period had already adapted the LMB for selection / RMB click for movement system; hell, even Warcrap 2 had it! The game also lacks building queues, something which, again, previous C&C clones already had. Rally points? LOL wut's dat???? Waypoints? What sorcery is this??? The only thing it improved over the original was box select, which I guess we should be thankful for.

In short, it was a quick cash grab in between the development of Red Alert and Tiberian Sun. The target audience was hardcore Dune fans, and hardcore Dune fans only. The setting is it's only saving grace. In the autumn of 1998 when it came out almost every other RTS had something better and more unique to offer. And in 2020 if somebody wants a strategy game set in the Dune universe, Battle for Dune is a much, much better option. I would love a re-release of that game.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The target audience was hardcore Dune fans, and hardcore Dune fans only.

Not even that. I was a hardcore Dune fan, D2 was my second most played game after Civ1 back then, and I gave D2K a pass after a few hours. Don't remember exactly why anymore but it felt awkward, boring and obsolete, especially coming out a few months after Starcraft.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Playing the remaster on hard, and fuck me the missions are HARD. AI cheats, and your units basically gets annihiltated so fast, because the opposing factor has dmg values and better armor :D

I spent hours on some missions with savescumming... fuck me. I think I might go normal diff instead. Hard is frustrating me lol

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
besides some bizarre optimization issues, i'm fairly impressed with the remastered versions of tiberian dawn and red alert 1. my only real.. complaint are the bizarre artifacts in certain cutscenes that were produced by the AI-based enhancement algorithmss - they stick out like a sore thumb. oh, and the unit pathfinding issues

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My complaint so far is that despite adding all those modern UI functionalities, they forgot about rally flags for rax :rpgcodex:

Or are they in and I've missed it somehow?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
My complaint so far is that despite adding all those modern UI functionalities, they forgot about rally flags for rax :rpgcodex:

Or are they in and I've missed it somehow?

Nah, there's no rallying and waypoints, sorely needed. perhaps in a patch hopefully.

OpenRA has it, but u know.

Pathing good be improved, too, but then it really wouldnt be that same old game, now would it

Parsifarka

Arcane
So people are going nuts and sighing "muh nostalgia" about a bloated cashgrab with updated art that doesn't have any of the gameplay improvements free fanmade OpenRA has. Literally all it has going for it is a remastered soundtrack and uncompressed videos. Good that I didn't preorder this 25gb thing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So people are going nuts and sighing "muh nostalgia" about a bloated cashgrab with updated art that doesn't have any of the gameplay improvements free fanmade OpenRA has. Literally all it has going for it is a remastered soundtrack and uncompressed videos. Good that I didn't preorder this 25gb thing.
Better graphics, better sound and music, better multiplayer. I haven't bought it yet, but it is pretty good deal to me.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Better graphics, better sound and music, better multiplayer. I haven't bought it yet, but it is pretty good deal to me.

Add to that:
- unit queues
- separate tabs for structures, infantry, vehicles, support powers.

Sure, no attack move, waypoints or rally flags, but the deal is still pretty damned sweet. As multiple people all over teh Internets already said, the Jukebox alone is worth the price.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tiberian Sun and Dune 2000 must be next. Would KILL For a remastered dune game, would be awesome.

Tiberian Sun is already free, and in addition there is an excellent mod that does everything a Remaster need:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-client/downloads/tiberian-sun-client-530-full

I'd personally prefer if they remaster the Dune games and Generals.
While it's great TSClient exist, it does not do everything the remaster should. Mainly, it's practically impossible to play at 2560x1440 due to infantry being tiny. Must be even worse on proper 4k. The client doesn't fix lack of waypoints from what I can see either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom