Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

ArchAngel

Arcane
So people are going nuts and sighing "muh nostalgia" about a bloated cashgrab with updated art that doesn't have any of the gameplay improvements free fanmade OpenRA has. Literally all it has going for it is a remastered soundtrack and uncompressed videos. Good that I didn't preorder this 25gb thing.
Better graphics, better sound and music, better multiplayer. I haven't bought it yet, but it is pretty good deal to me.

Add to that:
- unit queues
- separate tabs for structures, infantry, vehicles, support powers.

Sure, no attack move, waypoints or rally flags, but the deal is still pretty damned sweet. As multiple people all over teh Internets already said, the Jukebox alone is worth the price.
I think lack of attack move or waypoints might be on purpose as it would change the game too much. Build queue already made macro much easier. Atm lack of other features let you outmicro and outmacro your enemies, SC1 style.
Also you can bring those back for SP with mods, but MP will stay about who has better micro and macro.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It makes me feel sad to say this, but this is nothing like as good as when I was a kid. Refunded already because I just can't see when I'll play it given limited game time with family stuff.

Music is great, definitely. But the AI is meme-worthy and it just doesn't feel good to play. For example deploying troops from an APC doesn't seem to work properly. I wish they'd remastered the gameplay a bit as well as the graphics, honestly.

It is nice to see not everyone here is a nostalgiafag retard. Yes, old games are barely as good as you people remember them when you played them 30 years ago.... Modern games are leaps and bounds better, and not just in graphics. Contrary to popular belief, games did become better, you just can't enjoy them like back when you were little innocent kids. Feelings are deceiving most people.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I think what I like about Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert is the games as an overall package. The individual parts are flawed, for sure (and were popamole even back in the day), but the sum of them adds up to great games imo.

And get the fuck out with your rose-tinted glass bullshit.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Pegultagol

Erudite
I played through NOD Tiberian Dawn missions and working thru GDI right now, and yeah the AI hasn't been updated from what I can tell and it still causes some headaches.

At least in normal difficulty, you can easily cheese the AI by allowing it to lock unto a target and it will sink its teeth into it and almost never let go...so a flamer comes along, get a tank to make them lock unto it and put forward the infantry to finish him off. I think you can do this against any enemy.

The most egregious problem I observed so far is that if you have multiple refineries, harvesters might lock unto one particular refinery and not let loose its priority regardless of where the other harvester is doing. And it is not proximity based, so a harvester can 'put dibs' on it from across the map or even body of water and block the closer harvester access, making it idle full of tiberium.

The missions are a patchwork of physical chokepoints and scripted patterns (e.g. enemy heli reinforcements always land in the same place) so it sometimes more like a puzzle sequence inviting trial and error and save-scum. But they are pretty fun overall imo and at least they do a decent job of conveying clues.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played for a few hours and the game is painful,haven't aged well. The pathfinding is retarded,the line of sight is too small and the nod's miniguners are more like knights lol,they have to be next to the target to be able to shoot. In most cases that just means getting squashed by a tank. Also the flamethrower guys are just retarded design,they just shoot flame and explode because they shoot it in their feet,thus triggering a chain reaction of exploding flamethrower guys blowing up and killing all you army. Also it is annoying how disc throwers are strong against infantry and have splash damage unlike the rocket launcher guys.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I played for a few hours and the game is painful,haven't aged well. The pathfinding is retarded,the line of sight is too small and the nod's miniguners are more like knights lol,they have to be next to the target to be able to shoot. In most cases that just means getting squashed by a tank. Also the flamethrower guys are just retarded design,they just shoot flame and explode because they shoot it in their feet,thus triggering a chain reaction of exploding flamethrower guys blowing up and killing all you army. Also it is annoying how disc throwers are strong against infantry and have splash damage unlike the rocket launcher guys.

l2p

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
My extremely short impressions:
1. That intro/faux installation wizard was p cool.
2. The production values look really good and are a proper tribute to the original, this is probably the second best remaster after AoE2 DE.
3. Also, music!
4. The cinematics are an exception though. The ones with live actors look bad, but maybe passable. The CGI ones look fucking horrid though. If they didn't/couldn't remake them (understandable, I guess) then they should really come up with some other solution. Rendering some command room in which they are played on a much smaller screen or whatever.
5. Game lagged af on my fairly high end system. I rolled my eyes hard, but it turns out that it was only in the first soviet mission and then I played up to 6 or 7 and it was perfectly smooth. Dunno what's up with that.
6. And a final comment: yeah, this is mid-90s rts. No unit stances, patrol, attack move, whatever. And holy shite, I really forgot how absolutely retartet pathfinding and unit ai was in these games :lol: And the map design usually only exacerbates it, unfortunately. As someone who plays shit from the nineties all the time I guess I buy the "it should play like back then" argument, but crap like units running around literally entire map, passing next to enemies without firing, when you give them attack order on something 5 meters away irks me quite a bit.

Yeah it's hard for me to get into as someone who doesn't have nostalgia for this because I only got my first PC in 2003 and only seriously started playing RTS games few years ago, when I was already in my 30s. It does have charm and personality and no doubt it's something I would have fond memories for if I had a chance to play this back when it was released, so I'm not surprised at all by so many people here cumming all over it. But I doubt I'll be willing to get used to clunky gameplay, I already suck enough at more modern RTS with much more convenient controls.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So this ranks up with AoE2 DE as an insanely good remaster?

The remastered OST I listened to was great.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the point of remastering if you don't fix the most glaring issues like crap pathfinding and lack of attack-move?
Just upping the resolution?

Meh. Very meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom