Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company of Heroes 3 - set in the Mediterranean theatre

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Brofist x 10
    • meh x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

Singleplayer focused pre-alpha preview will be available in less than hour if you sign up for Relic account: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634500/Company_of_Heroes_3__PreAlpha_Preview/

• Brofist x 3
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • No x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. L'ennui Magister

L'ennui
    Finally some competition for Total War. Now let's hope Eugen Games makes a Total War campaign for their next Wargame title and we will have a perfect Grand Strategy/Wargame hybrid trifecta.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Maggot Arcane Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Hopefully they get rid of CoH2's commander system.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I'm disappointed this doesn't have Rommel and Ritchie on the cover.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Cautiously pessimistic. Never bought the second one despite playing a lot of the first online.

Also it better be Mediterranean and not just Italian. I want Afrika Korps.

Would have preferred Pacific but I also understand it is less interesting from a unit diversity perspective in a game about tactical land battles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Catacombs Magister Patron

Catacombs
    It's about fucking time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Alpharius Learned

Alpharius
    Looks like coh 2 with updateed graphics so far, but i don't expect anything good from Relic after Dawn of War 3 disaster.

Best case scenario is it will be like coh2 but with balance being broken anew in every patch and barebones multiplayer features that will be added "back" a few years after release, like coh2. Still, should be fun to stomp noobs during alpha and beta tests.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    I see the game has an overworld map like Total War. Did the previous games had that aswell?

• No No x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Murk Arcane

Murk
    The answer is "no" but there was a dark crusade style campaign (Ardennes Assault) for COH2.

re: the trailer, this is a great looking pixar movie -- hopefully the gameplay is still there.

I loved CoH1/VCoH, and I loved CoH2 as well (despite the few steps back it took in many areas).

Watching the "gameplay" trailer so far looks like it's on par with the previous games with the core gameplay still being there. Hopefully they fix the commander system.

edit: gonna see if my system can even run the pre-alpha but here's hoping.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Thorgeim Educated

Thorgeim
    I get they want to "paint" Italy but why the hell is everything so colorful and saturated, including the troops...

Also seems like no Axis campaign, shame. But with inaccurate symbols or flags it would be a bit lame anyway. COH1 reference sounds good but lets see.

^ Top  
  13. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Played a bit and while it runs horribly on my system (and probably in general) it "feels" about right.

Didn't touch campaign yet, just did some skirmishes since that's the main gameplay I'm after anyway.

I think the DoW 2/3 trap is avoided, the rest is gonna be hard to predict the specific fine-tuning of but I think it's gonna be pretty good.

As for axis campaign: probably same shit as before where the expansion/DLC adds it in.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    ^ Top  
  14. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    Because it is Italy, not UK.

• Funny Funny x 8
    ^ Top  
  15. GrafvonMoltke Shoutbox Purity League

GrafvonMoltke
    Honestly, the Western and Eastern Fronts are so overdone that this will be a nice change of scenery.

Still waiting for nips vs chinks, tho.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    But who would want to play with insect people?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    East Asians are the protagonists of human history. :smug:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Tried the pre-alpha...the RTS gameplay is clunky as hell but hopefully will be much better optimised prior to launch and sound needs work. There's lot's of placeholder graphics so clearly not a finished product though.

Not a big fan of the campaign map so far - it's basically COH: Total War which misses the point and just gets in the way of the meat and drink of CoH - the RTS experience. Personally I'd far prefer the single player be scenario-based like previous titles.

• Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    The China-Burma-India theater is criminally overlooked in gaming. Gimme that w/ with a Soviet August Storm expansion plz.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Arrowgrab Arbiter

Arrowgrab
    Special Chinese ability: spawn a ridiculously massive fuckload of crappy infantry, but 95% of them die of starvation before getting to the actual fight.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. The Anus Of Discontent Educated

The Anus Of Discontent
    If I squint I'd argue it looks just like CoH1 and 2. Without side by side comparisons I don't see any graphical improvement. Trailer is giving me strong independent womyn vibes, much like all the previous WW2 bastardization games like.. what was it, Battlefield 5? 1? Don't recall. I have no faith in Relic, whoever was responsible for those early gems like Homeworld, DoW and the first CoH aren't the same people that work there now.
    Wasn't a fan of anything they did during and after CoH2, all I can offer is just a shoulder shrug. Wasn't there some kind of controversy over their depiction of Soviets as mustache twirling supervillains?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. warci Educated

warci
    A strategy game that's not made by slavs is generally utter infantile trash.

• Participation Award x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Wilian Arcane Patron

Wilian
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I don't know if you've peeked out of window lately or even walked beyond the Door but during sunny summertime the nature and in general areas, when bathed in sunlight can be extremely radiant and colourful, even up here in Finland. Nothing in the game struck me particulary oversaturated from the gameplay I've seen.

Aside from directing you for eye-doctor and potentially acquiring eyeglasses I shouldn't comment further on this one, one shouldn't mock publicly on defects and illnessses of people.

That'd be Battlefield 5 with frontline women with prostethics making battle yes but if this gives you independent womyn vibes I'd first look into mirror and wonder how far into abyss you've gotten at this point because the womyn action in the trailer was distracting and making fancies with guard so the proud white men can infiltrate and then conduct combat. She did hold on a gun yes but I don't think there was single moment she even tried to take aim at anything in that trailer. If that's stronk womyn propaganda to you, welp.

This is reasonable, they've not had good track record since CoH 1

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Mefi Prophet Patron

Mefi
    waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
    Slitherine's product manager has posted some interesting figures. Pointing out how niche the market is even for a 'big' game in RTS. 48 hours after the announcement only 150k Steam wishlists.

(Source is his Instagram, sorry: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRZE19gMm8P/ )

I'm just going to see where they go. I doubt they'll survive another major car crash. They most definitely have been asking players of CoH1 and CoH2 in advance what they'd like to see so it's, erm, curious to see what they've presented in that Alpha footage.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Core audience wouldn't give a damn about it though, not enough 'muricans. Maybe as part of a Pacific-focused game to keep the appeal?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.