Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Complete List Of The Megami Tensei Games (March/01/2016)

Drudkh

Learned
So a general reply to my controversial comment. :D

I don't really think of Soul Hackers or Strange Journey as spin offs. (especially soul hackers considering the cyber punk setting) Those are proper SMT games.

On the other hand, Persona, DDS, and those awful isometric "turn based strategy" rpgs on the DS are what i'd consider spin offs. (along with the PS2 devil summoner detective games i mentioned)

I've yet to play SMT If... It looks to be a proper Wizardry style SMT, but i've read that it's what inspired Persona so.. We'll probably never get to play it in English though because AGTP, the editor entity that's sitting on the fan translation seems to have lost the passion for releasing their long list of jrpg patches in queue.

Also, aweigh, forget about those Devil Kids games man. Those are best left forgotten :)

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Aweigh. Stop. It.
  • DDS: PC-88/FM-7 where?
  • Devil Summoner came out in 1995 and FFS, it's better to list it as 'Devil Summoner' and remove 'Shin Megami Tensei' from titles unrelated to the SMT series.
  • Where is the listing of Megami Ibunroku Persona PC version?
  • Why numbers are pulled out of your ass?
  • There are only 3 Majin Tensei games.
  • Why do you insert numbers into titles even if there are none?
  • Why do you keep up with that Shin Megami Tensei: Majin Tensei: Persona Tensei: Faggot Tensei: Fatlus Title Dumbfuckery anal rodeo?
  • Why do you hate me?
Those are proper SMT games.
Oh, shut up, Soul Hackers is not related to SMT.

Drudkh

Learned
Well, we can disagree, but surely, Soul Hackers is so SMT i can't see in what ways it isn't. The battle system, setting, first person view... Come on bruh. It's arguably more SMT than SMT 3 and 4.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, shut up, Soul Hackers is not related to SMT.
Have we gone through this before? I'm getting some deja-vu here. You like to repeat things, so I'm almost positive that's the case. At risk of repeating myself, spin-off = somewhat related. SMT: Devil Summoner -> Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers. See the SMT?

and those awful isometric "turn based strategy" rpgs on the DS
Pfft, way better than Persona 3 or 4.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Well, we can disagree, but surely, Soul Hackers is so SMT i can't see in what ways it isn't. The battle system, setting, first person view... Come on bruh. It's arguably more SMT than SMT 3 and 4.
Because Soul Hackers belongs to the Devil Summoner series, simple as that. And Devil Summoner != SMT.
Have we gone through this before? I'm getting some deja-vu here. You like to repeat things, so I'm almost positive that's the case. At risk of repeating myself, spin-off = somewhat related. SMT: Devil Summoner -> Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers. See the SMT?
I have to repeat myself, unfortunately.

Also:
latest

See the SMT?
:troll:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fuuuck. yeah sorry i just been doing actual work for a change. i work from home. it's so hard to not give in to procastination when working from home... i'm always,always doing everything at the last second and doing a stay awake for 3 days straight finishing up routine (i'm currently on day 3...) once i'm clear i can finally sleep. and update threads wee.

in the meantime i've taken to making this sort of images now for some reason... prolly boredom??

c27_zpsaym8eo4o.jpg

used like fucking 15 different filters. werdna so bae.

Drudkh

Learned
and those awful isometric "turn based strategy" rpgs on the DS
Pfft, way better than Persona 3 or 4.

You won't get an argument form me there. Like most of the SMT fan community, i agree that the challenge is on point with those games, it's just all the anime tropes crap that makes them unplayable for me. The series feels like it should be called "Neon Genesis: Devil Survivor"

Siveon

Bot
See the SMT?
Yes, it's a marketing gimmick. But the original, untouched, pure-nippon, Devil Summoner had the SMT label on it along with similar mechanics to the original franchise. When cataloging, it only makes sense to provide the original title that was given on release, and not abide by the gripes of a singular person. ;)

More power to you for getting mad at titles, but it isn't factually correct to say Devil Summoner isn't a least a little itty bitty related to SMT.

if (DevilSummoner.indexOf("Demon Collection","First Person Dungeons", "Turn-Based Combat") >= 0){

relation = true;
}
else{
Siveon = knob-head;
}

Bad programming jokes.
it's just all the anime tropes crap that makes them unplayable for me. The series feels like it should be called "Neon Genesis: Devil Survivor"
I've long since built up a tolerance to animu, but I understand your gripes. Honestly, animu crap is on the same level as generic fantasy for me, you grow to appreciate boring caricatures of Tolkien's lore and see the smaller bits of good.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
But the original, untouched, pure-nippon, Devil Summoner had the SMT label on it along with similar mechanics to the original franchise. When cataloging, it only makes sense to provide the original title that was given on release, and not abide by the gripes of a singular person. ;)
My 'gripes' are related to the confusion caused by constant bitchslapping of 'SMT' into every title, which makes little boys like aweigh and Drudkh and the rest of the 95% of English-speaking MT community use incorrect names which kinda forces me to educate them one-by-one. Also, Devil Summoner is a separate series, and I'm only offering to omit 'Shin Megami Tensei' from the original title to avoid further confusion.
SMT fan community
MegaTen community, you mean.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
actually the legitimate nihongo classification is not megaten or megami tensei or any of those bastardizations it's simply "digital devil story".

you know... like the much-better-than-the-series-of-games-it-spawned novels are titled. the nomenclature "megami tensei" and then later the addition of the multiple-meaning-cum-meaningless suffix "Shin" have literally no reason for its use other than marketing decisions and a desire to sell their games under a very generic catch-all qualifier.

one would think knowing these details is trivial but i suppose some children are a bit slower than others. :kingcomrade:

download.jpg_zpse8whxt24.png

i kiddd i kiddd <3

Siveon

Bot
much-better-than-the-series-of-games-it-spawned novels are titled.
You actually read Digital Devil Story? Was that even translated?

My 'gripes' are related to the confusion caused by constant bitchslapping of 'SMT' into every title, which makes little boys like aweigh and Drudkh and the rest of the 95% of English-speaking MT community use incorrect names which kinda forces me to educate them one-by-one. Also, Devil Summoner is a separate series, and I'm only offering to omit 'Shin Megami Tensei' from the original title to avoid further confusion.
I'm fairly sure most people know of Atlus USA's marketing stunt, but that does not change the fact the original Devil Summoner before it was its own series was printed as being part of SMT series. Similar to Yoshi's Island being billed as the sequel to Super Mario World. And also similar is that no-one refers to it as Super Mario World 2 anymore ...oh.

Well, at that point you would want to remove most of the erroneous prefixes on the titles of MegaTen/DDS/LET'S SUMMON DEMONS FOR FUNZIES games. That sounds like a tall order to me, but I'm not OP. :D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i was joking. spoiler tag n shit. plus how can you possibly not comment on the magnificent werdna image i made :D

ended up putting in like 20 different filters to get that look. originally wanted it to look like a PLATO screen but couldn't find a Font type that would match PLATO so ended up with that. so kwaaaaiii weudunaaaa

even the phrase "werdna casts the awesome tiltowait spell!" is from the wiz 4 manual's prologue

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
You actually read Digital Devil Story? Was that even translated?
First novel was translated. Somewhere.
I'm fairly sure most people know of Atlus USA's marketing stunt, but that does not change the fact the original Devil Summoner before it was its own series was printed as being part of SMT series. Similar to Yoshi's Island being billed as the sequel to Super Mario World. And also similar is that no-one refers to it as Super Mario World 2 anymore ...oh.

Well, at that point you would want to remove most of the erroneous prefixes on the titles of MegaTen/DDS/LET'S SUMMON DEMONS FOR FUNZIES games. That sounds like a tall order to me, but I'm not OP. :D
I'm fairly sure most people are retards, and removing the bitchslapped prefixes kinda makes dem titles more pretty, dontcha think?

i was joking.
I know, lol.
ill stab u and kill u and rape ur family fagget gimme ur home address nao
Just kidding ofc.

Siveon

Bot
I'm fairly sure most people are retards, and removing the bitchslapped prefixes kinda makes dem titles more pretty, dontcha think?
Fair enough, and fair enough. :P

plus how can you possibly not comment on the magnificent werdna image i made
Oh, whoops. It's almost emote worthy, man. If you got rid of the white border.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Been thinking about giving the series a shot, as i usually dislike jrpgs and keep hearing that this series is different. Any beginners tips? Which game to start with?

Been thinking about giving the series a shot, as i usually dislike jrpgs and keep hearing that this series is different. Any beginners tips? Which game to start with?

Norturne or Strange Journey - westernized, creepy, cruel, most difficult, best & well-balanced combat and best dungeon design (Eridanus, Kalpas).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
APPLE-II-PIXEL-WERDNA-ICON.jpg_zps7aajeqbk.png
: says to begin with the best and accept no substitutes: SMT: Nocturne for the PS TWO.

Siveon

Bot
For someone who doesn't like JRPGs, Nocturne. If you're in it for the long haul, SMT 1.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
how about the following compromise: i will use the titles that are printed on the game's box cover. no exceptions! regardless of the marketing/business/apocalyptic set of circumstances that led to whatever misprint of comically re-branded title the game bears.

and also fuck you :salute:

i would think the bigger the fan of something you are the deeper understanding you have of the connective tissue holding the game makers together all the through the games to the players themselves and vice versa. who gives a fuckif it'stitled shin megami tensei or if itdoesn'tbelongin that group because most probably the game will be a piece of shit. see: personas 3 / 4 / 5 and special fail mention awarded to smt 4.

i'm surprised you're not bitching about taking so long to complete the list TBH :D

Malpercio

Arcane
Wow, these games keep getting mentioned everywhere but I always dismissed them as weeaboo shit.

However it looks like there was a time they looked pretty decent.

How did this

22890_front.jpg

become this :negative:

Persona51_thumb.jpg

Because those are completely different series, you dummy.

Nocturne or DDS are great starting points. I wouldn't bother with SMTI or II.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i never got around to DDS 2 but i enjoy DDS 1 hugely. excellent, excellent jrpg that was made just before dat "Persona creep" took over the company and the series...

sigh, while nocturne's my fave i will always hold persona 1, US version, in a special place. it was mothertrucking mindblowing tome at that tender age i used to final fantasies and such. persona 1 most definitely had that heavy and moody ambience to everything that went on, and the original releases soundtrack is haunting and at times very gothic and religious. fantastic OST.

the plot while not as "creative" as the one in persona 2 (reincarnation via metaphysical existence of simultaenous space-times and verions of reality?); the persona 1 plot is quite good and can be very depressing. the entire game (original release) is depressing. it's a big part of the reason i don't enjoy and CAN'T enjoy the complete change in the authorial contract the sPersonas had with the players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom