Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Complete List Of The Megami Tensei Games (March/01/2016)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
HEY.... i won't be updating any of the compilation threads for a while cos of the wiz empire 1 project passion project so i'm actually completely willing to give someone trustworthy my login so they can complete them if they want to! (candidates include siveon, courtier, comte, and a few more) who actually understand my zeal for making these threads and filling them with detailed information. Of course although i named "candidates" who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of man... besides jokes aside there's literally nothing in my rpgcodex account that would matter to me for more than 10 mins if the site died so i don't give a fuck.

PM me whoever wants to do this.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can a mod or somebody stick the thread on top like the Wizardy one? Informative thread like this should be readily accessible to people

Damn finishing all SMT games with lack of another ones HURTZ.

Why there's no fanmade quality spin-offs e.g. done in RPG maker? Aaaarghhhh.

aweigh check this one, excellent atricle about most of obscure Megatens.

http://shinjuforest.blogspot.com/2013/07/lost-megaten-games.html

Tuesday, 23 July 2013
Lost MegaTen games

The Megami Tensei series is a complex and sprawling one, spanning just about every format you expect it to and even a few you don’t over a couple of decades now (that’s a scary thought!). It shouldn’t really be a surprise then to find that Japanese gamers got to play a few smartphone (pre-iOS/Android) games with a MegaTen flavour, but the shocking part might be just how many there are! The consistently-lovely Ant of Gaming Hell is responsible for bringing these to my attention – he shared a link to a bit of info on the Shin Megami Tensei pinball game, and it’s been nothing but a rabbit hole since then.

So far I’ve found twenty twenty five twenty seven games for Japanese phones that are based on some branch of the MegaTen series and from what I can gather they were all released between 2004-2008, mostly developed and published by a company now known as Menue (previously Bbmf). There’s a mix of all-new games, remakes (generally with graphical enhancements and a few conveniences, such as auto-mapping), and spinoffs of existing titles. Naturally there’s a lot to cover so I’ll just give some very brief details for now and if there’s a demand for more information I’ll expand later, OK?

All images are copied from a few different Japanese news sites or official announcements as I lack access to either a Japanese mobile phone or a time machine. Sorry about the watermarks on some images and the inconsistent sizing – I’ve got to take what I can get with these.

Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei (デジタル・デビル物語 女神転生)

A remake of the Famicom game of the same name.

Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei II (デジタル・デビル物語 女神転生II)

Remake of the second Famicom game.

Shin Megami Tensei if… Hazama Edition (真・女神転生if...ハザマ編)

An original RPG based on the Super Famicom game “Shin Megami Tensei if…”

Shin Megami Tensei – 20XX (真・女神転生-20XX)

Original RPG set a few decades after Shin Megami Tensei II.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Colosseum 20XX (真・女神転生 デビルコロシアム 20XX)

Spinoff of 20XX. Story centers on two twins; the heroine (who apparently doesn’t actually fight in battle) and her twin brother – organiser of the colosseum and just-so-happens to be possessed by YHVH.

Shin Megami Tensei II Gaiden: Ma To Houkai (真・女神転生II外伝 魔都崩壊)

Turn-based RPG with randomly generated dungeons.

Shin Megami Tensei Tokyo Requiem (真・女神転生 東京鎮魂歌)

Completely original RPG that was split into monthly-released scenarios – it looks like there were six in total.

Shin Megami Tensei Pinball JUDGEMENT (真・女神転生ピンボール JUDGMENT)

Pinball game based on the look of Devil Summoner by Kaze. Kaze made several console pinball and pachinko games, including Akira Psycho Ball (PS2) and Digital Pinball: Necronomicon (Saturn).

Megami Ibunroku Persona: Ikuu no Tou Hen (女神異聞録ペルソナ 異空の塔編)

Side story to the original Persona game, featuring randomly generated 3D dungeons.

Persona 2: Sin LOST MEMORIES (ペルソナ2 罪 LOST MEMORIES)

Original story based on Persona 2: Sin.

Persona 2: Punishment INFINITY MASK (ペルソナ2 罰 INFINITY MASK)

An original story set after the events of Persona 2: Punishment.

Persona 3em (ペルソナ3エム)

This is Persona 3 nipped and tucked to work as a mobile game.

Aegis THE FIRST MISSION (アイギス THE FIRST MISSION)

3D action RPG set a decade before the events of Persona 3.

Illustration Puzzle Persona 3 (イラストパズル ペルソナ 3)

Nonogram (perhaps better known as “Picross-like”?) puzzle game based on Persona 3.

Megami Tensei QIX Persona 3 (女神転生QIX ペルソナ3)

Arcade classic Qix given a Persona 3 flavoured makeover.

Persona Mobile Online (ペルソナモバイルオンライン)

Persona 3 themed phone MMO – apparently required an active MegaTen Online subscription to play.

Megami Tensei CHAINING SOUL Persona 3 (女神転生CHAINING SOUL ペルソナ3)

Puzzle game based on Persona 3. Clearing a stage unlocked a wallpaper for the user’s phone.

DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA Avatar Tuner A’s TEST Server (DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA アバタール・チューナー A's TEST Server)

Original story based on the Digital Devil Saga games.

Another Bible (アナザ・バイブル)

Remake of the Game Boy SRPG of the same name.

Megami Tensei Gaiden Shinyaku Last Bible (女神転生外伝 新約 LastBible-ラストバイブル-)

Remake of the Game Boy game.

Megami Tensei Gaiden Shinyaku Last Bible III Hajimari no Fukuin (女神転生外伝 新約LastBible -ラストバイブル-II 始まりの福音)

Remake of the Game Boy game of the same name.

Megami Tensei Gaiden Shinyaku Last Bible III Mugen no Eiyuu (女神転生外伝 新約 LastBible-ラストバイブル-III 夢幻の英雄)

Remake of the Super Famicom game, and the final entry in the Last Bible series.

Devil Summoner Soul Hackers NEW GENERATION (デビルサマナー ソウルハッカーズ NEW GENERATION)

An original battle-focussed game based on the Soul Hackers setting.

Devil Summoner Soul Hackers: Intruder (デビルサマナー ソウルハッカーズ Intruder)

SRPG based on the Devil Summoner Setting.

Majin Tensei Blind Thinker (魔神転生 Blind Thinker)

Majin Tensei spinoff in the same SRPG style.

Majin Tensei Blind Thinker II (魔神転生 Blind ThinkerII)

Another SRPG based on Majin Tensei, apparently with multiple scenarios.

Jack’s Quest (Jack's くえすと)

I can’t find any images of this one (yet), but from what I’ve read it’s a random-dungeon-exploring RPG starring series favourite enemy Jack Frost.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i wish i could finish this list, at the very least. i mean i could but i'm doing other things i am prioritizing. for example as we speak (type, whatever) i'm formatting by hand the npc dialog script dump in order to make it "human readable", i.e. seperating paragraphs, line breaks, etc so we can send the document over to a human translator.

it is incredibly TEDIOUS work that is very draining not not very stimulating. unfortunately it HAS to be done by hand because any sort of macro-usage might possibly delete some portion of dialog.

i already said if someone like Siveon, Comte, Courtier, H-K, etc wish to finish the list i don't give a fuck about giving them my codex login so they can do it. i've never seen a single troll post out of them so i don't have any worries about them logging in under my account.

EDIT: or actually, this is an even better idea: whoever wants to just copy/paste the contents of this thread and make a new one, and finish it. i don't know why i didn't think of this before. my brain just feels scrambled from the past few days.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw out of curiousity i cracked open the sega saturn devil summoner ISO and it looks painfully hard to translate. it's about on the same level as the PSX version of wizardry empire 1: i.e. the space limitations on the text is insane. it would require someone with far, far better hex-editing skills than me. (knowledge about pointers, how to extend dialog boxes, how to use single-width font, etc). i don't know any of that shit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
p. sure that's the entire reason it's never been fan-translated since it's not like the megaten franchise has a lack of fans.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ironically it is the ps1/sega saturn/ps2 era games on CD-ROM and DVD that are the hardest to translate because they usually fill up the disc space (and usage of the console's active memory) with shit like special effects, full-motion video, cgi, etc: all the staples of that era; and the japanese programmers had to fit the huge game scripts into sometimes even LESS memory space than they would have had under a super nintendo ROM !!!!

sad but true.

for the japanese this only meant one thing: usage of kanji. good for themt hat they stole the chinese's symbological alphabet and integrated it into their programming. bad for us (i.e. people who want those kanji in english) as it makes the script almost impossible to translate into english. not only language-wise; i mean program-wise. kanji takes up half the space latin does, literally i mean, so it is VEEEEEEEERY difficult to bang out an english translation of a 4 byte sentence. (which in english if properly translated would take up something like 16 bytes)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom