Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Completely fucking nuts: a Molyneux article

sabishii

Arbiter
tardtastic said:
sabishii said:
tardtastic said:
Leading targets, or overaiming them to compensate for distance, just felt clumsy - it wasn't setup well.
Yeah, they should've made them like lazer guns instead. :roll:

It must take some kind of brain damage to interpret my statement criticising a clumsy implementation of archery mechanics as a vote for lightspeed arrows.
I play Mount and Blade. Mount and Blade has a much better - though not flawless - archery system.
Always the reader's fault. :roll: Funny how I understand what you're talking about this time, then.

Angthoron

Arcane
I guess I'll just repeat the popular opinion by saying "This man is fucking insane!"

Honestly, this looks more like an April Fools' day news than an interview, and Molyneux' lexicon is more of a wannabe-tough teenager than anything else, but since it would seem to actually be a real article, it's just making it all fucking scary.

I mean... Just how stupid do these people think casual gamers are? They lock in a complete dissing of the "casual gamer", dumbing it down so much that a limbless mole could just play a game by banging the head on the controller.

Ugh. Following their logic, casual readers need to flip through picture books and ABCs.

And of course, "Most RPGs are shit" is brilliant. I hope he forgot to add "the" somewhere along the lines, but somehow, I don't think that hope has any chance.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think a perfect game for casual gamers is "The Sims". I know soooo many girls and housewifes that play it...

Now consider this: The Sims is pretty complex. I fact, it has a load of stuff to do and monitor [If you want. Sure, they work on their own, but if you wanna make cash or get anywhere fast you're better off guiding them].

tardtastic

Scholar
I'm feeling good-natured, so I'll just make it very clear where you fucked up regarding reading comprehension, without any further insults:

"Leading targets, or overaiming them to compensate for distance, just felt clumsy - it wasn't setup well."

That suggests, logically, that my problem isn't with the fact that you had to lead targets or overaim them, but that the whole system in which they were done "wasn't setup well." There's nothing in the context of the statement that a reasonable person wouldn't interpret that way.
The way in which one, in Oblivion, leads targets and overaims, feels clumsy. When aiming at a far distance (and if you're not aiming far, why use ranged in the first place?) it's a guessing game for the most part, that requires a few arrows be shot before you've really any clue where things are going to land, partly because the zoomed-in view, held weapon and cursor are all complicating the act of aiming. Moreover, it's especially frustrating to lead targets because of Oblivion's poor combat animations (notorious for their lagging in terms of frame-rate and responsiveness). It's not slick, it's not smooth, and no matter what kind of rangerbadass your character is supposed to be, making those shots at a far distance just doesn't work the way it ought to.

And, actually, come to think of it, in a proper RPG, the arrow would be more like a laser - I would tell my character where to attack, and the math would take care of everything else, same as if I were using a lasergun or a sword or a sock full of frozen oranges. Ideally, the bow and arrow would be like the laser. Oblivion would've been a better game if it had been.

Though even in Oblivion it still wasn't quite as bad as I remember archery being in the PC version of Fable.

sabishii

Arbiter
tardtastic said:
That suggests, logically, that my problem isn't with the fact that you had to lead targets or overaim them, but that the whole system in which they were done "wasn't setup well." There's nothing in the context of the statement that a reasonable person wouldn't interpret that way.
Obviously there is, because I didn't interpret it that way and I'm a reasonable person.

Crichton

Prophet
WHAT did Fable have that was so god damn original?

The two things that I couldn't remember seeing before were;

- Generic NPC interactions

- Experience point categories

The generic NPC interactions are the polar opposite of games with actual dialog, but like procedurally generated content, they provide something that hand-crafting rarely does, universal options. The NPC commands were universal, if you had enough influence with an NPC (the generic ones anyway), you could use all the little "follow", "stand still" and whatnot commands on them; so almost every NPC is a potential henchmen (of course only the real henchmen actually knew how to fight). This was extended into the stupid "romance" part of the game, so nearly any female could be romanced. Because the interactions were all generic, it's hard to imagine this being a huge thrill, but when you compare it to the tiny numbers of available henchemen/romances in most games, the whole idea has a certain appeal.

The experience point category thing seemed to be a decent compromise between "use to improve" TES systems that encourage stupid behavior and "murder = xp" bioware/black Isle systems that allow people to learn lockpicking by kicking rats to death. Of course it doesn't really solve the "rat" problem since that categories were broad enough that you could still say shoot rats with a bow and learn lockpicking (both dex skills), you just couldn't kick them (strength skill). Of course in practice, it didn't matter because kills still granted "generic" xp that could be used for anything in addition to the specific xp.

Texas Red

Whiner
That is not innovation. Every game, even if its a Diablo clone, brings something new in a small scale.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Section8 said:
I'm getting a getting a crazy, "Pink Floyd is me bitches!" Roger Waters vibe...

I thought the floyd really was Waters. :D It might have been Barret in the early days, but it for sure never was Gilmour, Wright or Mason.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
And, eh, on topic, I totally agreee with Ismaul on this:

Ismaul said:
I think Molyneux is doing all the right things. It's retarded, backwards, but it's the genius kind of backwards.

Molyneux has the edge on Bioware here. Mass Effect won't be nearly extreme enough. One button is the way to go. :lol:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, maybe I am crazy, but I do see his point. Games are foremost for fun. New innovative ideas on how to make them more fun are cool. If the idea won't work out, fine. At least be happy that somebody still has the balls to try some new things instead on relying on the same old tired formula over and over again.

Hell, some of the best and worst games were made because their designers went off the beaten path and tried new stuff. We'll have to see what fable will be, but kudos to innovation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom