Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Confirmation that Aurora is inferior to IE

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you even play Witcher? Fucking chicks isn't the only gameplay element there. You have to decide between two factions which both aren't clearly good or evil, but just are two different opinions and world-views. There's no good and evil in Witcher. That's what makes it a lot better than many other RPGs out there. Say what you want, Witcher has more mature in it than NWN. Period.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Did you even play Witcher?"

yeah, i did, just not for long because the immaturity hurt me. TW reminds me of a teenager striving their best to act like an adult yet ultimately fall ing flat on its face. Maybe I'll give it a second chance; but I doubt it will matter.

NWN1 OC, on the other hand, while not being the deepest most mature game at least doesn't pretend to be. It's a D&D epic adventure with solid writing, story, characters, and quests. Nothing more nothing less. Knowing what you are is a sign of maturity.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Volourn said:
yeah, i did, just not for long

This explains a lot. I confess I didn't finish NWN1, but I got far enough to say that it was bland, boring and uninspired.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I try not to waste too much games that I don't find fun. Too much games to play too little game time.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I played to the very end of both NWN1 and BG2

Infinity is better. Period

Raapys

Arcane
I've played through all Infinity and Aurora games and expansions, and I think Infinity is superior in just about all ways. The Aurora engine just doesn't have anything going for it; feels like they made it 3D just so they could say the games had a 3D engine, then spent forever trying to come up with some way to make the camera controls and world interaction less awkward, without ever really succeeding.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Except camera controls, and world interaction controls are the best ever in any game. *shrug*

Aurora > IE

It's also very adaptable.

Texas Red

Whiner
A: "TW draws a clear, purposeful parallel between our world terrorism and the Western civilization in the form of declining, decadent elves and medieval like, European kingdoms."

B: "BLA BLA BLA BLA WITCHER IS IMMATUER U CAN HAV SEX TERE"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Aurora is a pile of shit. Volly, I think it's better for you to sit down now. You won't like what you will hear next.

First of all Aurora leaks like a chick when she is having her period.
Second of all it had a retarded texturing system in NWN1 where when you set a higher tex detail you get a shittier quality and vice versa. But in HotU it's even more than that - tiles from the OC look like shit while tiles from HotU look ok, switch tex setting to 16 megs from 64 and you will get an opposite result.
Third - It looks like shit and performs like shit. Except CD Projekt saved the looks there. Except it still performs like shit.
And Fourth - Davis' report about how when you try to implement one feature it breaks 10 others due to the shitty handling of scripts by an engine.

Which leads to a conclusion that Aurora Engine is a buggy crap with a lack of optimization and IE pwns it in every possible way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Whining again?

"A: "TW draws a clear, purposeful parallel between our world terrorism and the Western civilization in the form of declining, decadent elves and medieval like, European kingdoms."

Copy and paste is not proof of maturity.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
And update from Josh

There are a few qualifications here:

1) There are problems that can be practically fixed and there are problems that can't be practically fixed. Sometimes, a problem that isn't practical to fix can become practical depending on the scope of a project. Aurora's client/server architecture and animation systems could certainly be re-written, but I don't think that would fall in the scope of an expansion (for example). The Witcher shows just how much Aurora can be modified given enough time.

2) It's important to remember focus when looking at an engine. While I honestly don't think Aurora's animation/state updating is good for anything (sorry to be blunt, but I can't think of a good reason for it to be engineered as it was), certain other aspects lend themselves better to NWN's intended purpose than the IE's intended purpose. For example, IE game spells were all created in .spl files through an editor called Spell-O-Matic (yes, really). In NWN, most of a spell's functionality came from a script. Creating and debugging spell scripts can honestly be a pain in the *** when compared to the .spl data-driven format, but it allows a lot more flexibility. Also, a 3D engine of any sort makes developing new character/creature content (models, animations, etc.) much, much easier for hobbyists.

Murk

Arcane
I liked the games in the IE much more than the Aurora games, and can flat out say I never could stomach NWN1 or any of its expansions/mods long enough to get past the first chapter in them. The look of the game always scared me off, it was pretty....... boring.

Having said that, it seems kind of obvious to me that engines like Aurora are the future, they open up a greater level of adaptability and technology. I don't think IE can do half the shit Aurora can, but I'm no modder so I may be horribly wrong.

volourn should be ignored, as always

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
Whining again?

"A: "TW draws a clear, purposeful parallel between our world terrorism and the Western civilization in the form of declining, decadent elves and medieval like, European kingdoms."

Copy and paste is not proof of maturity.

You obviously haven't played the game. I'd wager that you yourself would be convinced to join the elves and perform acts of terror. Your Geralt will murder innocents because of conviction enhanced by desire to see a once noble race be set free from opression. The leader of the elves is a character something Bioware will never accomplish. A highly intelligent persona yet not devoid of slight fanaticism; articulate, intelligent and passionate but at the same time ignorant of the consequences his actions could bring.

Or maybe you will act as a true witcher, supporting man that sought out to create you in hopes of protection. Perhaps you wil be sympathetic to the numerous plights, of them not the least the plague and monsters that haunt, of this war ravaged age you were thrown in to. The nonhumans are nothing more than barbarians, killing children and women in cold blood, their deeds misguided by jealousy.

Perhaps, after witnessing what man is capable of, how he killed your kin, you choose, in you superhuman state, to transcend the petty fights.

Or maybe you see the hope and salvation the new religion brings. And yet you fight your training and can't force yourself to kill those who are a menace to humanity, the nonhumans.

Basically, TW is a hell of a lot more complicated than anything Bioware ever produced. Discovering the story of Alving, in contrast of Bioware characters, will probably make your head explode out of sheer awesomeness(it actually astounds me because it's a very fantastic and original idea). I don't even want to imagine what the ending will do to you. Why? Because CD Project don't care about money, they wanted to simply realize an artistic vision. Compare Polish fantasy literature to 80s SF Bioware wanted to copy with ME :roll:.

Murk

Arcane
i've been adding, almost like a sig, that volourn should just be ignored immediately

the dude's some cosmic force of antagonism to all codexisms

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Because CD Project don't care about money, they wanted to simply realize an artistic vision."

must explain why they latched onto the 'shitty' Aurora which probably cost thema fair bit just so they can get some pimping done by BIO on their behalf.

I guarantee you they care about the MOOLAH just like they should. btw, their 'artisitic vision' including B00BIE CARDS, and making a game off a book instead of coming up with their own.

R00fles!

P.S. It should also be pointed out, I was a big TW pimp pre release. I thoguht it was gonna be awesome. It's not my fault they screwed up all the potential.

DraQ

Arcane
Mikayel said:
i've been adding, almost like a sig, that volourn should just be ignored immediately

the dude's some cosmic force of antagonism to all codexisms
Nah, he's simply so dense that light bends around him which makes him capable of sucking others towards himself (and into debating his stupid posts) using gravity alone.

Edit:

Couldn't you at least try being a little bit more dense Volly?
Then, you'd vanish beyond your own private event horizon and bother us no more.

Annonchinil

Scholar
The writing in TW is poor, don't see how anyone can defend it or deny it. It basically goes like this:

Geralt: "You must all act good now, your sins summoned the beast"
Villagers: act sad
Geralt: "Give Abigail a fair trial"
Geralt (internal monologue); they burned her at the stake as I left

lol

Fat Guy (forgot his name): The Witch cursed me into killing my brother!
Geralt: There is a voodo doll in her house that looks like her.
Fat Guy: Yes!!!
Geralt: Your brother was a great warrior, how could you have killed him... unless he was sleeping?

What? Magic not work on sleeping people?

And yes I only got to Act 2, but that’s because I am waiting for the EE.

Oh and having no good & evil does not mean anything, we are not teenage Goths, so stop being amazed buy it. So far the characters are all walking clichés. The combat is meh, it’s not clunky but it’s not exciting or deep. Anyone who thinks the finishers are great had never played a console game.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Anyone who thinks the finishers are great had never played a console game.
Hmm, I think the finishers are awsome but from what you say it can't be true because sometime ago I had a PS2 and recently bought a PS3 - is there something wrong with me or are you just a stupid moron who dosen't understand what he's talking about?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Annonchinil said:
The writing in TW is poor, don't see how anyone can defend it or deny it. It basically goes like this:

Geralt: "You must all act good now, your sins summoned the beast"
Villagers: act sad
Geralt: "Give Abigail a fair trial"
Geralt (internal monologue); they burned her at the stake as I left

lol

If you told the citizens to fuck themselves and took the witch with you to fight the beast they wouldn't burn her, but I guess you didn't think there are more solutions to this.

Fat Guy (forgot his name): The Witch cursed me into killing my brother!
Geralt: There is a voodo doll in her house that looks like her.
Fat Guy: Yes!!!
Geralt: Your brother was a great warrior, how could you have killed him... unless he was sleeping?

What? Magic not work on sleeping people?

No, the magic made him sleep so Odo could murder him. So hard to understand?

Oh and having no good & evil does not mean anything, we are not teenage Goths, so stop being amazed buy it. So far the characters are all walking clichés.

It does mean a real fucking lot, because it stands out among all the rpgs that came out for the last couple of YEARS where all the 'choices' would be Biowarian:
(good) OK, YES, I'LL HELP YOU MY DEAR PEASANT, WE NEED TO SPREAD THE LOVE
(bad) Gtfo
(supahbad) I'll help you... IF YOU PAY ME 50 GOLD! MWAHAHAHA!! ó_ó

and 'all the characters are walking cliches'? Now this is just beyond stupid, unless you think that the sheer fact that you have a witch in the game it makes it cliche.

Anyone who thinks the finishers are great had never played a console game.

And you are saying that as a bad thing?

Deleted member 7219

I don't see how anyone could think a 10-year old isometric pre-rendered and sprite-based 2d engine could be better than a 3d one that can be upgraded easily to support DirectX, pixel shading, hardware T&L etc in games like The Witcher and NWN2. Plus, the combat was a hundred times better in NWN2 than it was in any of the IE games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
what? Combat in NWN2 is a goddamn boredom. It is ridiculously easy, your companions don't die and it looks like shit overall.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It's funny, because all the IE games I've played still look better to me with their handmade locations, than most of the Aurora games with all the "DirectX, pixel shading, hardware T&L etc".

And do elaborate on the better combat in NWN2, because mainly the ultraboring combat was the thing that made me throw both NWNs on the shelf, contrary to the IE games where combat was brilliant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom