Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consoletard tries his hand at Morrowind

Grimlorn

Arcane
He should play an all text RPG so he can learn to appreciate Ultima 7 and PST more.

Bruticis

I sent him there to ask for help since there's like 4 prestigious people on the dex that ever even touched Ultima 7. Newfag kodex, blah.

shendricks221

Educated
What do you hope to get out of this if not the enjoyment of the game itself?

I fully intend to enjoy the game if at all possible. And this is an educational process. I feel like I'm learning gaming history here. I haven't played a wide enough variety of games and I need to branch out a little. You know how people who read everything and are extremely knowledgeable are called well-read? Well, it'd be nice to be a more well... gamed individual myself.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ultima VII is a nice start for that. But do not only focus on RPGs, the Leisure Suit Larry series awaits you !

shendricks221

Educated
Ultima VII is a nice start for that. But do not only focus on RPGs, the Leisure Suit Larry series awaits you !

Oh I know all about Leisure Suit Larry, my friend. I've had many forays into that series, and in fact have gotten my hands on a ton of adventure titles, particularly the ones from Sierra. To date, the adventure genre is the only one I could really call myself semi-well-versed in. That and, well, The Sims, whatever genre that is. No one answer that.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I presume you played the QFG series? Before bloodlines, they were the only games i respected as a storyline/rpg mix. Maybe morrowind though. Ultima is barebones, but ultima 7 (and especially 7 pt 2) and the underworlds and 8 are worth it for the lore alone.

Infantile hobby, gaming.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
But you have to admit that in the 80s and even in the early 90s, the next step to be taken could sometimes be quite hard to guess. Do you guys give up the game altogether even though you're 80 hours in, or do you open a fucking FAQ ?
And where would you find a FAQ in the 80s?

We just gritted our teeth and persevered until we won. Getting friends to help with a puzzle was always an option too.

No actually. Back in the 80s, more than not people did not manage to get to the end screen. At least, this is how I remember it.
That happened to me a lot, I just gave up because I was young and didn't have any resources. I know in the late 80s, early 90s, companies started rolling out hint lines. I never called one but I wonder how that worked. I really loved games that had a code at the end that you could write down and send back to the devs for a certificate of completion or some other cheesy piece of paper award.

Hah, I remember reading about those in a book (Supercade, very interesting read on video game origins, arcade, and early home gaming) at my public library. Turns out my uncle sent in for one of those iron on patches and certificates, making him the first person to beat Activision's Chopper Command. It was the very first game he ever got to choose to buy, and he claims to have spent three days playing non-stop from the time he got home with it (he and Kickman are also the reason my mom didn't have her C64 very long before it was forcefully returned to the store by her dad haha!).

shendricks221

Educated
Bump! I've got my (even bigger consoletard) friend joining me in this educational process now. He's debuting with Fallout and will require lots of help and, of course, the standard Codex hate.

Bruticis

So on the days this idiot posts about Fallout you plan to not have any blogs about Ultima? You realize no one want's to read your blog for 3 years to see you finish one game? You were already moving extremely slow and accomplishing very little per blog post, now you want to slow it down even more?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
...whats the point of playing a game with hint book?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i don't think that's the point of his blog really.

shendricks221

Educated
i don't think that's the point of his blog really.
Then expect an extremely long series of blog posts of him making painfully slow progress. If Planescape made him quit then Ultima 7 would twice as fast.

I don't make promises about finishing after last time, but I do like Ultima more than Planescape and have no designs on quitting. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm taking that long to finish this; it's only been about three weeks so far. That said, I definitely don't want it to drag out and will be trying to pick up the tempo at least a little. A game a month would be nice, if not always realistic.

I think it is a bit of an overstatement to suggest you have explored all of the mainland already.

Bruticis

I think it is a bit of an overstatement to suggest you have explored all of the mainland already.
I was laughing when I read that too. Also, the fags from the ultima fansite are bombing him with spoilers and shit, easy mode the dragons, etc...

I hate that. It's the same hate I feel when someone has seen a movie already and they're watching it again with someone who hasn't and they can barely contain their smug urges to blurt out all the important details and ruin the experience for the other person. So disrespectful

Anyway I like the humorous observations he is making with the finer details of the game. It does sound like he is enjoying it much more than before.

It also helps one to appreciate how much the game plays like a traditional RPG from the perspective of someone who doesn't know about all the exploits and secrets that ultimately ruin the experience once taken advantage of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom