Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consoletard tries his hand at Morrowind

shendricks221

Educated
Excom, I typed up a comment and deleted it like 18 times on his blog. You summed up exactly the same thoughts I had to the point where I was so pissed off that I didn't even feel like expressing it. Pay attention everyone, you're watching a live act of why we can't have nice things in anymore. This is your prototypical gamer of today. I get a chuckle when people get pissed off at devs for dumbing down games. Can you blame them....they are simply catering to their paying audience.

No one anywhere in the world gives game developers a higher percentage of their income than you do, Bruty, so I should hope you support their marketing strategy.
I like that you're trying to troll people on the dex of all places. It's like a lamb laughing at a pack of wolves. You're terrible at it, just like Ultima so don't try (or consult a walkthrough first).

I don't troll. I'm interacting with the forum and enjoying myself. You have problems.

You should get right into Serpent Isle as soon as you finish BG. You'll enjoy it more and find it easier if you do it back-to-back with all the info fresh in your mind. It's a lot more challenging overall but more suitable to the consoletard mentality.

Something else I'm surprised no one else has said: The firedoom staff has a limited number of charges and each shot will hurt your companions if they are nearby. It might be time to finish off the Forge of Virtue in the next one. That will solve the problem.

Excom, I typed up a comment and deleted it like 18 times on his blog. You summed up exactly the same thoughts I had to the point where I was so pissed off that I didn't even feel like expressing it. Pay attention everyone, you're watching a live act of why we can't have nice things in anymore. This is your prototypical gamer of today. I get a chuckle when people get pissed off at devs for dumbing down games. Can you blame them....they are simply catering to their paying audience.

No one anywhere in the world gives game developers a higher percentage of their income than you do, Bruty, so I should hope you support their marketing strategy.
I like that you're trying to troll people on the dex of all places. It's like a lamb laughing at a pack of wolves. You're terrible at it, just like Ultima so don't try (or consult a walkthrough first).

I don't troll. I'm interacting with the forum and enjoying myself. You have problems.

The original comment depends entirely on genre. Yes, the average gamer these days is never going to support genres that have always been grognard, whether good PC crpgs, flight sims, space sims, good adventure games (there's a great indie scene in that genre, but the lack of professional writers by way of a Schaeffer or the guy that wrote TLJ/Dreamfall really shows). But I still maintain that there was no reason why games like the Thief series, System Shock series, and...most of all...Deus Ex could not have defined the mainstream.

Again, Deus Ex takes out all of the hard rpg caps of SS2 while keeping a very large component of the fun (partially through more open level design; partially through the mixed skills/weapon mods/augs upgrade system). It has an interface and a learning curve that enabled players to go straight from Doom/Quake to Deus Ex. It allows something most developers have forgotten about - really fun emergent gameplay - and manages to pack that and all its rpg elements into a set of gameplay mechanics that are considerably simpler than FO3 or ME series. If you can play either of those games you can play Deus Ex, and if you made the same effort to design to difficulty curve to give CoD shooter players a familiar opening level that's relatively easy before stepping things up over a long enough game to allow a learning level or two.

On top of that, it managed to design its C+C (all cosmetic, but really well done cosmetic) in a manner that CoD players - like the Doom/Quake twitch-gamers before them - would not have felt like they were missing out on content (arguably there's a greater feeling of missed content in the way that DE:HR signals C+C compared to the way that Deus Ex just carries on as though there are no choices until you break orders and discover them).

There's also plenty of evidence that players like these games, and that they like them more when they AREN'T watered down - so long as they maintain the original DEx's strategy of packing complex gameplay into very simple mechanics. Even the moderate success of DX:HR - in an environment where that gamestyle hadn't been tried in an AAA environment for a decade - shows that you could easily build an AAA market for this genre. Perhaps you could introduce the audience to more complex mechanics as you go, but frankly the original DEx got by without that. Instead, it had really intelligent application of its simple mechanics, combined with awesome level design.

To the extent that Deus Ex clones (and thief clones for that matter - how incredibly simple are the mechanics in Thief compared to the gameplay they enable?) don't make up sizeable chunks of the AAA market, the problem isn't the audience. It's that they require a lot of skill to make, and a commitment to emergent gameplay that is alien to modern AAA game design. The audience themselve have come in the past, all the way down to large chunks of the 'dumb shooter' market.

shendrix

I hope you realise you've not only taken away all challenge from the rest of your own playing but there's also no reason for people to watch you walk your way through the rest of the game when there won't be any more struggle or challenge left. But you have awesome cheat weapons now so fucking awesome shit right?

Oh well at least now you'll be able to collect all the Magic Item Achievements when you finish the game. Yeah it has achievements, you obviously knew that or you wouldn't be playing, right? Surely you didn't think it was only modern console shit that has achievements?

sigh someone get me a fucking whiskey

shendricks221

Educated
shendrix

I hope you realise you've not only taken away all challenge from the rest of your own playing but there's also no reason for people to watch you walk your way through the rest of the game when there won't be any more struggle or challenge left. But you have awesome cheat weapons now so fucking awesome shit right?

Oh well at least now you'll be able to collect all the Magic Item Achievements when you finish the game. Yeah it has achievements, you obviously knew that or you wouldn't be playing, right? Surely you didn't think it was only modern console shit that has achievements?

sigh someone get me a fucking whiskey

I'm sorry Ex, I really am. I complained that the combat was hard and was strong-armed into picking up the weapons so I'd shut up. I've learned my lesson and will no longer complain when I'm getting my ass kicked. My fault. This one's almost over anyway, new game coming up next week.

bminorkey

Wouldn't Ultima 7 be more alienating than PS? Inventory management, sometimes difficult puzzles, no hand-holding or clear sense of direction etc.

Bruticis

It takes real guts not playing up to this crowd Shendricks and dont feel bad for having cheated a little, I can only imagine how dauting must older games like this must be to newer gamers and I salute your effort to get to kow some of the best older games
:bro:
Hiver 2.0 indeed, shendick just got his white knight.

Kukulkan

Learned
Bruticis should make the next game codex decided. Preferably it would be so obscure that he can't cheat and use a walkthrough.

Bruticis

I was thinking of having him try Ultima Underworld 2 since he seems to like the guardian storyline but I'm pretty open to suggestions. I know thesoup wanted him to play a rogue.

thesoup

Arcane
Rogue. Original. No hints, no cheats, no walkthroughs and even most of those won't do him any good.
FINAL DESTINATION
:rpgcodex:

Kukulkan

Learned
I was thinking of having him try Ultima Underworld 2 since he seems to like the guardian storyline but I'm pretty open to suggestions. I know thesoup wanted him to play a rogue.
Wizardry 4. No maps. No walkthroughs. No hints. The games difficulty should make using a walkthrough not make the game a breeze. I don't think if there's even cheats for the game. The only downside is that he may ragequit and never play another crpg again. Perhaps to prevent this you could promise something piss easy like Gothic as a reward for giving Wiz 4 a two week long try.

Bruticis

I'm somewhat limited it in my choices because we agreed that I would only pick a game that's on either steam or gog.

Kukulkan

Learned
I'm somewhat limited it in my choices because we agreed that I would only pick a game that's on either steam or gog.
Really? Is running dosbox too hard? You can drag the exe to the dosbox shortcut if you wanted and it would work at least for me.

Bruticis

Really? Is running dosbox too hard? You can drag the exe to the dosbox shortcut if you wanted and it would work at least for me.
He doesn't want to mess with it so he insisted on the gog/steam rule. But seriously, did you just ask if something was too hard for him to do? Have you been reading the blog? He could put his eye out trying to mess with dosbox.

shendricks221

Educated
It takes real guts not playing up to this crowd Shendricks and dont feel bad for having cheated a little, I can only imagine how dauting must older games like this must be to newer gamers and I salute your effort to get to kow some of the best older games
:bro:

Thanks for the support Hiver 2.0, and if you are indeed the same person as Hiver 1.0, good to have you back in the fold. And be wary of Planescape. It can be a deal breaker in an educational gaming project.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Considering the game trolls right out of the gate because you can make the perfect fight/mage/psionic munchkin and yet be untastefully molested if you try to do what comes naturally (although it IS possible), i not sure he'd enjoy it. At least until he finds one of the many 'i win' buttons the game has.

kmonster

Augur
Play "Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra next". It's time for a change from real time with top down view to turn based with first person view, from 1 character to a self-created party of heroes, from "The Sims"-style and dialogue-based to a game where combat and your skill do matter.
It's one year older than Ultima VII and but has aged very well.

Kukulkan

Learned
Instead of Might and Magic 3 give him 9. Let's see how he handles a bad game for a change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom