Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Convince me to replay witchers

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't convince you when I haven't even bothered playing them myself. Hell, I couldn't even watch more than a few netflix episodes of the show. Fucking boring. Hope the game isn't as boring as the show.

Since you liked Witcher 2 enough to finish it then it's worth a second playthrough since the quests you get in chapters 2 & 3 are entirely different based on which of the 2 paths you ended up picking at the end of chapter 1. It's a shame that due to poor planning/lack of time they ended up making one of those paths canon for Witcher 3 (while still letting you import your TW1+2 saves and accounting for a myriad less important imported details). QTEs are optional now. The official FCR2 mod also drastically improved the combat.

Witcher 3 is replayable for those who liked it in the sense that it's so long, so much content, that by the time you're finished you've already forgotten the early content. It's the game that suffers the most from poor gameplay design decisions that become all the more grating with its length and repeated playthroughs and so far are only slightly alleviated by mods (such as the controls).

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
Now, are Witchers worth replaying? I'd say first one yes, but what about the other two?
No, not really, unless you just want to admire the graphics, and you can do that in a few days in W2. W3 just drags on pointlessly.

W1 definitely has more charm than the sequels, but it's as big as W3. I tried to replay it once but didn't get far. The memory of it is better than the gameplay.

None of these games were really that great. They were just a little uncucked in a age of cuckery.

Beggar

Cipher
Now, are Witchers worth replaying? I'd say first one yes, but what about the other two?
No, not really, unless you just want to admire the graphics, and you can do that in a few days in W2. W3 just drags on pointlessly.

W1 definitely has more charm than the sequels, but it's as big as W3. I tried to replay it once but didn't get far. The memory of it is better than the gameplay.

None of these games were really that great. They were just a little uncucked in a age of cuckery.
Yeah, I have a good memories of Witcher 1 but I remember what a chore it was at the same time. Wouldn't replay it nowadays just to have an illusion that witcher 1 is great. Even though chapter 1 in that village, that is the intro, is amazing. TBH there is everything witcher 1 is all about.

Last edited:

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Play it don't play it - if you need convincing then you obviously don't really want to play them.

But man, the edgy "Witcher 3 is awful" hot takes around here are so stupid. Y'all are some garbage contrarians.

jackofshadows

Magister
Rather not since the gameplay is around meh in all of them. What I'd suggest though is to start with W3 DLCs which you didn't play I assume and then maybe to start over the main campain. There're also mods for W3 that weren't there back then like the first person one, very nice stuff.

You want to play Witcher 1, no convincing is necessary. Never minded the backtracking personally, to me it just felt like I was settling into life in Vizima, being a man about town. We complain when games are too linear, we complain when we have to go over the same ground not realizing that if we don't go over the same ground we're just going in a line anyway. The tree only ever grows in one direction.

Peachcurl

Cipher
You want to play Witcher 1, no convincing is necessary. Never minded the backtracking personally, to me it just felt like I was settling into life in Vizima, being a man about town. We complain when games are too linear, we complain when we have to go over the same ground not realizing that if we don't go over the same ground we're just going in a line anyway. The tree only ever grows in one direction.
At some point, you simply want fast travel.

convince me to play at all--

I have witcher 3, started playing and stopped when I realized it was a game where you are expected to time 'dodging' and 'blocking' enemy attacks and do endless tumbling rolls around the battle field as part of your fighting and dodging.. I fucking hate that rolling around bullshit, the game actually seemed sort of interesting otherwise.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Play it don't play it - if you need convincing then you obviously don't really want to play them.

But man, the edgy "Witcher 3 is awful" hot takes around here are so stupid. Y'all are some garbage contrarians.
It IS overrated. Yes it's amazing how much money CDPR spent building this massive open world. A better developer would have reined in their creative ambitions in order to achieve acceptable rendering performance and more interesting gameplay.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant

It IS overrated. Yes it's amazing how much money CDPR spent building this massive open world. A better developer would have reined in their creative ambitions in order to achieve acceptable rendering performance and more interesting gameplay.
I don't agree that it's overrated, but regardless - overrated isn't the same as "dire" - "garbage" - "shit" - "medicore" etc.

It's just ridiculous how many of you autists shit on everything.

SumDrunkGuy

Just don't try to get Yen and Triss in bed at the same time or you get blue balled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryzer

Arcane
Convince me to replay witchers
witcher-3-mod-yenner-replacement-1-550x309.jpg

Yenn-01-1433208727652.jpg

Triss%2BYenn.jpg

Cs0jLR7UIAAARSe.jpg:large
B36217F65B1093145ED5FDDE93C5BD803C891AD8

4.jpg
WhrIB3Zetr1M-sVZJ-JhNrhZVkR1bIIFw7j2I8abBNeX-3hkvM0qtSXMjxQhVYXQPiK_ubf3ndU8SyGKG5ScRuNySg_keh3CMO6YgQ=w600

0.jpg

vibehunter

Learned
Agreed with you on Witcher 1. They nailed the atmosphere on that one and never replicated it since.

Hard disagree on Witcher 2 though. Nothing about it resembles Tolkien. It's just more cynical, dung age low fantasy.

curds

Magister
Reasons to replay:

Witcher 1: It's just a great RPG with amazing atmosphere and music, good writing, cool low-key story.
Witcher 2: Good, albeit popamole, RPG. It has the best reason to replay though, which is the fact that the middle chapter is completely different based on your choice.
Witcher 3: Eh... IDK. Maybe to try one of the overhaul mods. Or treat it as mindless GTA-style game and just ride around the beautiful open-world for an hour with a beer in hand after a shitty day at work or something.

Kainan

Learned
Replayed W1 couple months ago. Great atmosphere, music but also good quest and map design. There was just one instance of backtracking in 3rd or 4th chapter in the swamp that bothered me. Started W2 with W1 saves but got bored quickly. Eventually I'll finish it. W3 i doubt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom