Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Convince me to replay witchers

Uninstall (or break) any means to have access to YT so you can't just watch all the "cinematics" instead (basically like 80% of the games).

And erase all your memories you may (or going by your post) may not have about W3's quests witcher sensing themselves, as their makers have zero trust in you to even find your way out of your own closet without assistance. (You've got to love focus group and play testing).

Off ya go.

MuffinBun

Educated
oh I almost forgot. You're missing out on this:

>whistles for magic horse
>autoruns on road to quest marker
>toucan sam vision activates
>"Mhmm....giant slash marks all over the victim....a Drowner™, gotta be"
>"Come on, Roach"
>follows nose
>guys in Drowner™ costumes appear
>"OY BLOODY 'ELL FUCKING CUNT SHIT FUCK CUNT, IT'S A FUCKIN' WITCHER IT IS! GET "EM"
>"Shit you stink" ALALALALALALALALA *sets guys on fire and they stumble and recover immediately, does a cinematic slash and cuts guys in half"
>"Mhmm....Bandits™ pretending to be Drowners™......better tell the village head about this"
>"Come on, Roach"
>autoruns on road back to village
>"OY BLOODY FUCK CUNT WITCHAH, WOT ABOUT DA CONTRACT WESE PAIDS YA FOR YA BLOODY FUCKING CUNT?"
>"Just some bastards posing as Drowners™, here's proof shows flipper"
>"OY KURWA, HERE'S YA REWARD DA WHOLE VILLAGE CHIPPED IN"
>"Drowning in Danger" Complete AHHHHHHHHHH
>10 crowns received

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Collectable sex cards and Triss playboy magazine stills were incredibly based and good and I will die on that hill. There will simply never be any RPG that caters to the male fantasy like the Witcher series ever again. It was made in a different time when having hot characters was not controversial.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
fZUp3b4.jpeg

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The first one has a place in my heart. Gameplay was lacking, to say the least, but the atmosphere, plots and quests were really something good. Especially the music. Main menu theme as well as some other tracks are still stuck in my head and I love them. This is the only Twitcher I ever replayed to see the other faction and enjoyed the replay a lot.

I came to this thread to shill for TW1. I see I have my work cut out for me.

Still, have this:

Wunderbar

Arcane
oh I almost forgot. You're missing out on this:

>whistles for magic horse
>autoruns on road to quest marker
>toucan sam vision activates
>"Mhmm....giant slash marks all over the victim....a Drowner™, gotta be"
>"Come on, Roach"
>follows nose
>guys in Drowner™ costumes appear
>"OY BLOODY 'ELL FUCKING CUNT SHIT FUCK CUNT, IT'S A FUCKIN' WITCHER IT IS! GET "EM"
>"Shit you stink" ALALALALALALALALA *sets guys on fire and they stumble and recover immediately, does a cinematic slash and cuts guys in half"
>"Mhmm....Bandits™ pretending to be Drowners™......better tell the village head about this"
>"Come on, Roach"
>autoruns on road back to village
>"OY BLOODY FUCK CUNT WITCHAH, WOT ABOUT DA CONTRACT WESE PAIDS YA FOR YA BLOODY FUCKING CUNT?"
>"Just some bastards posing as Drowners™, here's proof shows flipper"
>"OY KURWA, HERE'S YA REWARD DA WHOLE VILLAGE CHIPPED IN"
>"Drowning in Danger" Complete AHHHHHHHHHH
>10 crowns received
you forgot to mention an alternative ending where you use batman vision to find an evidence which tells you taht the quest giver was in on it with the drowners. And a stupid haggling minigame which allows you to earn 11 crowns instead of 10.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every time this topic gets brought up, I remember that the amazing armour you assemble in 1, and the Moonblade you work so much for in 1, get trashed in like 5 minutes in the 2nd game, and I just despair.

Play the first 1, romance Shani. Pretend you have amnesia. Play the 3rd one, skipping 90% of the content. Get to DLCs. Go with Shani again. 10/10 - would Pole again.

edit: spelling mistakes

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If women were portrayed correctly in games, they'd be nagging the fuck out of you, bitching at you to make more/get more, spending all your coin, and probably fucking your friends and people at the local tavern while you are away. Oh, and they'd probably try to demasculate you as well (your shit goes in a bag while she takes all the dressers/drawers/closets/rooms for themselves. Oh look, you get a cot in the barn.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
reminds me that witcher 2 triss looked significantly better than witcher 3
her face is all wrinkled, pimply, and shit in witcher 3
She was not the only character to receive the downgrade treatment. Aside from Triss I noticed Roche's changed appearance the most, but there were others, too.
D2F91C1A474F1914D5F647D4681639505B556816
maxresdefault.jpg

He somehow looks 10 years younger, less weathered and less badass despite the fact that he lives in a fucking cave in Witcher 3.

Witcher 2 had a much better aesthetic in general compared to W3. Obviously W3 has beautiful wilderness (aside from weird mountains in Skellige) but character models, armour, lighting, interface etc looked way cooler in W2.

Last edited:

Gastrick

Cipher
If I can't convince myself to continue playing, there's no way I'll be able to convince you.

MuffinBun

Educated
you forgot to mention an alternative ending where you use batman vision to find an evidence which tells you taht the quest giver was in on it with the drowners, and a stupid haggling minigame which allows you to earn 11 crowns instead of 10.
Oh if it was me writing the pasta, it would certainly look different. I actually think the side quest were the high point of the game. They had the cozy, rustic and adventurous spirit, some touching love and life-stories. But the fact that the main quest revolves around a completely unlikable overpowered MCU gurl(step daughter, I might add) would surely make it in. All the soy dads must've been enamored. "Hopefully she gets to be the protagonist of the next one, while I'm being phased out". You can imagine. That was a good period in gaming for low energy dads.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Witcher 1 is the best in its RPG mechanics - it really forces you to play and think like a Witcher ought to - there are problems, in the sense some skills are more "dominant" than others, but still its the better system of the 3 games
The combat is unfortunately a poor rhythm game - but the alchemy system is pretty sweet
The game has beautiful music, art direction and rich atmosphere
The writing is enjoyable and IMO the story is for the most part on par with "The Last Wish" (i.e., the best Witcher book) - the ending is particularly brilliant in its use of the medium's unique strengths, however alot was cut so unfortunately it doesn't reach its full potential
Finally between 1/2 and 2/3 of the Quests are boring fetch and backtracking nonsense
This last aspect could've been alleviated if the maps these quests take place in had a few shortcuts between the various paths - though visually, all maps are a masterstroke of virtual Worldbuilding
I know this is an unpopular opinion for more hardcore fans but honestly 1 is a game that deserves a QUALITY remake

Witcher 2 is in a weird transition spot from 1 to 3, so most of its gameplay systems suffer alot
The combat is quite a janky copy of Demon's Souls, with some fucked hitboxes/hurtboxes and too punishing back damage - not a good combo
Most systems were streamlined - alchemy included, which can now only be consumed during meditation - magic has balancing issues - there's a fair bit of QTE's for some reason
The music, artwork and atmosphere are IMO still pretty solid - but they have a very distinct tone from both 1 and 3, which why this aspect (and the game in general) is polarizing among fans
It all stems from the plot - 2 is less about Geralt facing up some kind of fairytale monster or moral dilemma with a spice of edgy 90's subversion, and more about Geralt unwittingly changing the political landscape because for some reason kings seem to like using him as their errand boy
Some people don't like this because they feel it's moving to much away from the core of the series
But honestly I think the writing and plot of 2 are superb - the political and worldbuilding tangles are handled magnifically and CDPR haven't shown the same level of talent since
The Quests range from fairly enjoyable to great - and overall it isn't too long a game
Each level is expansive, distinct and very well designed.
Finally the branching plot progression is some of the best executed in a videogame and choices have long term impacts - this naturally makes it a highly replayble package

Witcher 3 is the final stage of its evolution from middle market game to AAA blockbuster
The combat doesn't have the jank of 2, nor the repetitiveness of 1, but unless you mod it there's nothing here in the way of depth or even challenge (number bloat doesn't count)
The systems have been further streamlined to the point even a nutless monkey could understand and abuse them (still your casual player complains about the "demands" of the alchemy system) - character development mechanics are a joke - magic is wildly inbalanced - there's now level scalling worse than Skyrim
Music and art are slightly weaker compared to the other titles - atmosphere though, is a poor copy of 1
The writing is mostly decent with a few highlights - but this game is clearly leaning more toward "The Sword of Destiny" book, meaning instead of being about Geralt's cool adventures, it is now primarily about Geralt's soap opera relationships and personal issues
The plot is mediocre - your average "save the world" bundle of clichés, but mixed with biowaresque emotional engagement garbage (choose your waifu and connect with your daugther or be miserable)
Though IMO the worst of all is that the cool, complex political intrigues established by 2 get extremely simplified and retarded and it all ends with the same impact as a fart in the wind (probably to make sure your idiot audience can understand what's happening, give them easy villains, simple pay-offs and also because writing to acomodate all of 2's possible variables would be too hard)
The Quests are very samey, with only a handful standing out - in general they might not get as "bad" as 1, but at the same time they are neither particularly engaging or memorable
The world design is nice, with some cool looking vistas and comfy little spots, but overall it's mediocre on exploration

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
First-person Witcher 3 looks very tasteful and is a great hiking simulator.

iJ7mokT.png

X7uP0tg.png

It is one of the last non-SJW AAA games. It helps cultivate love for Europe in normies, especially in women.

The dialogues are pretty good and well-written. You can also learn languages by playing it because of the voiceover and subtitles with abundant visual cues.

Every time this topic gets brought up, I remember that the amazing armour you assemble in 1, and the Moonblade you work so much for in 1, get trashed in like 5 minutes in the 2nd game, and I just despair.
What do you mean by this exactly? I thought it was neat that they bothered to allow you to start out the game with the gear you had at the end of TW1, just a shame that they chickened out and didn't actually make you lose it at the end of the prologue. As far as I recall you keep the armor regardless, and the dragon only takes whichever silver sword you have equiped, not the additional ones in your inventory (when you import you start out with both the basic gear and the imported gear) so you equip the basic one for the dragon fight and keep Aerondight for the rest of the game, thereby screwing with the balance and item progression (the imported gear is better than anything you get until the halfway point in the game in chapter 2 - at least with FCR2) and even quest progression (if you get to flotsam with no silver sword as you're supposed to you get a quest to craft a silver sword so you can go hunt monster with it). Even TW3's B&W refers to how you lost Aerondight, the dragon was clearly supposed to take it.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
HAHA! I love it in a game where you can find exploits and secrets the devs fucked up on. I guess they should have seen that. I mean, do devs really know their fanbase and HC players? So, can tou inport TW2 to TW3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom