Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Corven - Path of Redemption is an Ultima-inspired RPG with a long history, now on Kickstarter

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Have they stated why they need the money ? It looks like they are trying to "gauge interest", or that's, at least, the reason I suspect. It's a convenient reason to try to make money out of a shitty Unity demo and then not be tied to the actual finished product for having benefits.

Probably to hire freelancers to make what they couldn't find on the Asset Store. Games are expensive to make and 45k isn't that much when you have to pay people.

elverkongen

Learned
The music transitions between 2:02 and 2:18 were jarring to say the least.

I gave the demo a shot and it proved to be a serious resource hog. GPU maxing out, CPU and RAM almost there as well. It's almost 5 GB somehow which is astounding. I don't know what resources it requires that makes the download size that huge because it's not much to look at. For the sake of comparison, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition sits at 4 GB, is a complete game, is almost a decade old, and looks significantly better.

The UI is uglier than sin and the developer seems to be aware of this considering they made it somewhat transparent. This in turn causes the text and equipment slot icons to get lost in the background to the point where its difficult to tell which is which.

Also I couldn't figure out how to exit the damn thing, ESC, Enter, nothing seemed to bring up any options menu or anything.

I get that its a pre-alpha and that's all well and good, but since they are asking for money on Kickstarter I don't think that this demo is putting their best foot forward. To put it bluntly, it's just unpleasant.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Taking the Ultima name in vain makes me unreasonably angry, particularly people trying to do a 'real' U9 and making it into a glorified adventure game. FFS, it shoudn't be hard. Dual scale map, turn based combat and work from there. Of course I'm not touching anything with Garriott's involvement (no matter how peripheral or disinterested) with a retractable fishing rod. The best we can hope from this is some decent drama.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have they stated why they need the money ? It looks like they are trying to "gauge interest", or that's, at least, the reason I suspect. It's a convenient reason to try to make money out of a shitty Unity demo and then not be tied to the actual finished product for having benefits.

Probably to hire freelancers to make what they couldn't find on the Asset Store. Games are expensive to make and 45k isn't that much when you have to pay people.
That would be my guess as well. They are probably using their own funds to work on the game or are working on it in their free time otherwise.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
There are probably enough clueless old Ultima-fans out there to still make it a worthwhile attempt

norolim

Arcane
I vaguely remember an RPG with this title that was supposed to be RTwP with a party of 3, NPC schedules and flexible camera (isometric, FP & TP). Is this, what it turned into?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I like how they say that Richard Garriott is actually involved in the story but if you take a look at their website he is just in for the Lord British character.

Is there where half of the Kickstarter money is going to go ?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I like how they say that Richard Garriott is actually involved in the story but if you take a look at their website he is just in for the Lord British character.

Is there where half of the Kickstarter money is going to go ?

It's called cementing your legacy

by making sure every Ultima-like vaporware title has his char in them, not sure Garriott thought this through

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
How come the guy that helped create the CRPG genre turned out to not be able to figure it out as it evolved?

That's quite common everywhere, one generation invents something or makes a major breakthrough and then falls behind once the next generation comes around

Mortmal

Arcane
It looks pretty but that's about all... Ultima 7 was revolutionary in its time , this game video doesnt even show one tenth of its features. One solo adventurer attacking a bear ,it sounds boring and far too simplistic.It doesnt even reminds me ultima, more like again an oversimplified diablo clone, divine divinity did lot better .
Sounds like another trainwreck in the making, i am never wrong about that .

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
How come the guy that helped create the CRPG genre turned out to not be able to figure it out as it evolved?
I have a theory that 95% of beloved games don't succeed because the developers know what they're doing, they just got lucky during development. Half the time these Kickstarted games involving classic figures turn out to be generic indie games, and the other half don't get made. There are exceptions, but nobody remembers those.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I have a theory that 95% of beloved games don't succeed because the developers know what they're doing, they just got lucky during development. Half the time these Kickstarted games involving classic figures turn out to be generic indie games, and the other half don't get made. There are exceptions, but nobody remembers those.

How one gets 'lucky during development'?

"Hey, I just got lucky and had this great idea for the game. Let's implement it!"

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

How one gets 'lucky during development'?

"Hey, I just got lucky and had this great idea for the game. Let's implement it!"
Early on, because the idea he had for a game can be implemented by him/his small team and is immensely fun. Later on, the rest of the team makes up for any short-comings they have. Thus, he don't really know what he's doing, because they sort of stumbled into things. With a team of people who treat the developer's word as all gold and no one to handle his shortcomings, he flails around for a bit, then disappears.

ADL

Prophet
RG's involvement is the only thing keeping me away from actually backing this thing. Fuck him after Shroud of the Avatar.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
After Richard Garriott, the other one endorsement they needed.

Screenshot_2020-06-13 Corven - Path of Redemption.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom