Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Creepy Crawlers": First-Person Dungeon Crawlers /w Especially Haunting or Horrific Atmosphere & Visuals

7feea1d57d207c37d6d05b550a3da57e6db5d523_hq.gif

I'm looking for a good, creepy crawl.

I'm looking for first-person dungeon-crawlers with an ambiance even more doom-laden and grimdark than is typical for the genre.
They can be grid-based blobbers, first-person action RPGs, etc. Yes, including JRPGS, as long as they fit the bill, meaning...
They feature a gothic, almost horror-like atmosphere of creeping dread, visuals that (while likely medieval or fantasy-based)
are, perhaps, heavy in blacks (I just mentally made the joke, saving you time), mist, maybe even some vaguely BDSM, depraved shit
(Think the artist Brom's art, not pride parade. I want fictional horror not real). Vampires or undead a plus, along with a good dose of blood
(gore welcome but not necessary), and an overall focus on haunting atmosphere.

Again, I realize that a haunting atmosphere is inherent, to a degree, in any dungeon-crawler worth its salt, but let's imagine dungeon-crawlers, themselves, had stats.
If they did, what I'm for would be ones that have spent ALL of their points into traits like "Macabre", "Spooky", or "Ghastly", while ignoring the "High Fantasy Treasure-Hunting!" trait.

I'll end with an example, this game I randomly saw on Steam. Have yet to play it (and the artstyle of the enemies, specifically, isn't really my thing. A bit too polished, modern..I don't know)
but I really liked it's look, otherwise, and it inspired this thread. I'd love to know if what some must-play FP dungeon-crawlers are that prioritize extremely dark and creepy tone and visuals.
This may not make sense, but I'm imagining the somber, ghostly tone of the game Disciples II (and its Undead campaign). combined with the gameplay of a grid-based crawler or a game like Arx Fatalis.

Thanks in advance.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
First game that came to mind:

It's not fantasy-based though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom