Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime CRPG Book - Call for reviews

Ladonna

Arcane
That would be great, I played BattleTech but really didn't like it, would be nice to have a review that explains WTF so many people seem to enjoy it.

It was ok. The ending was long, boring shit, but the early game was good for what it is. When I played it as a kid, I liked the the fact that it had a "Robotech" theme going on with the graphics, mech battles, and combat animations, as I knew absolutely nothing about Battletech. I originally thought it was basically the same thing. Robotech was on TV in the mornings, and I would watch it before going to school. I think they had some good ideas in the game, but ended up rushing it massively before release.

iu

Robotech mechs.

Vs

Battletech mech

iu

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Will you be publishing a new version of the physical book or just updating the .pdf version? I was thinking of buying the hardcover before it sells out but might wait if a new edition is coming out.
I want to make a printed version of the updated version, but it's not confirmed yet... need to negotiate with Bitmap Books, since it will be a bigger & more expensive book and a lot of people already got the first edition. If it happens, will be around mid 2022.

Sadly, I can't just make an add-on to the original, as I'm adding games from all years, and fixing a few mistakes in the original too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe

whats (resp. has been) ur intent and motivation to publish a sophisticated collection of (SMS) reviews?
Well, we did the Top 72 RPGs of All-Time vote back in 2014 in order to make a reliable list of recommendations, then expanded it months later with reviews for each title. It became really popular and people started printing that list, so it was an easy leap to turn it into a book.

There's also a lot of spite involved. Video game history is mostly written by journos who say things like "BioWare are the masters of game writing", "turn-based combat was a tech limitation" and "Diablo was the first Action-RPG". It really annoys me to open Jason Schreier's latest book and see it going "Bioshock proved video games could be art!". These same people write previews, reviews and then history books... we must have another source of information.

Matt Barton's book was basically the only good source around, but was an expensive academic book, entirely in black & white... one of the most important things for me was to make something accessible and widely available. I feel like "mission complete" when I see people on reddit or twitter discussing RPGs and then liking to the book to point out something they learned from it.

Last edited:
"turn-based combat was a tech limitation"

I am not in touch with what gaming journos are writing about these days. Do they still sometimes spread that myth or after noticing how turn based games can on rare occasion bring some revenue to their corporate masters had they changed their tune completely?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"turn-based combat was a tech limitation"
I am not in touch with what gaming journos are writing about these days. Do they still sometimes spread that myth or after noticing how turn based games can on rare occasion bring some revenue to their corporate masters had they changed their tune completely?
Turn-based combat is cool now thanks to games like Nu-XCOM and Divinity:OS, so no one says that anymore. But also no one admits to hating it for years, they'll just wand-wave it away like "these sort of games weren't well received at the time", even when they were the ones reviewing them at the time.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bumping this after a month, really no one interested in Grimoire, Tides of Numanuma and Outward?

I want to do a big push during the end of the year holidays, try to finish the book ASAP, would really appreciate help with the reviews :)

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
Sadly, I can't just make an add-on to the original, as I'm adding games from all years, and fixing a few mistakes in the original too.

I don’t believe a physical add-on would be interesting either; yet I find it compelling someone could highlight all the changes from previous edition: maybe a document just listing what changed and referencing the pages (new games, new texts for old games, new sections, changes in sections and so on).

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm helping brother felipepepe out by giving Omega a whirl. I had to read the directions several times before I got a hang of the wonky controls. Saving a character was a bitch to figure out, but then I learned how to successfully save and load. I fully explored the city you start in and purchased a short sword and some light armor. Decided to go outside and do some adventuring, when I ran into a chaos storm just outside the city. It did a few things to mutate my character and I raised 6 levels in an instant, but was killed by the chaos magic...

Sigh... time to reroll a new character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom