Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Yeah. Such a lack of criticism is shameful.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And worst of all: the unclean heathen uttered his vile blasphemy while he should have been playing Wasteland.

MMXI

Arcane
Some people just aren't cut out for a life of cRPGing. Even those who have played them all already.

7hm

Scholar
Angelo85 said:
My problem is not that he enjoys Skyrim. I for example do enjoy it as well.
My problem is that even though he has played so many classic CRPGs (and you are right - he played probably more CRPGS than some of our resident bros), Skyrim might in his opinion be the BEST CRPG HE EVER PLAYED.

And?

I'm not saying he played more CRPGs, I'm saying this is a guy who clearly doesn't just care about graphics. He's suffered, recently, through worse graphics / audio / interface issues than most of us are willing to bear (anymore) and has stuck with the games, finishing a surprising number of them.

That being said, he seems to be looking for immersion into the world more than anything else. It's not surprising that he would come away from Skyrim with that immediate impression (note that this isn't a final impression from him - if he does finish it I'd love to see the GIMLET score).

Different people like different things. Do I prefer complicated turn based combat to storyline and a fully fleshed out world? Yes. But is someone else wrong if their preferences are reversed? (well, yes, but he's a bro so I can forgive him)

My only issue is with people who aren't willing to give both sides of the coin a try. (Or really, give a whole bunch of different games a try, because it doesn't come down to just beautiful hiking simulator vs combat, there are tons of facets to consider, and different games do better at different aspects of the genre.)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I rescind my earlier reservations: the game is fantastic--perhaps the best CRPG I have ever played. More than any other game, the combats make you feel like you are truly fighting for your life. The game world is impossibly detailed, and exploring the dungeons is the most immersive experience I've ever had playing a game. ... The quests, far from the mostly fetch-and-carry missions of Morrowind and Oblivion, are original and nuanced, and offer real role-playing choices.

R00fles!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
To use a Skyrim analogy this might be a Battle-Born vs Gray-Manes thing.
By stating Skyrim might be the best CRPG ever I think RPGAddict is denying the roots of the Genre. Skyrim is nothing more than an ARPG.

It's not just a matter of preferences or that is boils down to what aspects of the genre you prefer. The basic concept of acknowledging Skyrim among the hall of famous CRPGs - and not only that but also potentially crowning it their king - just feels wrong to me.

I didn't fail to move on with times. Skyrim is IMHO the RPG of the year (with River of Time in close second) so I acknowledge that the genre has changed and that there is no more place for 'oldschool' RPGs on today's market because it moved on, but I'm still not convinced that the modern type and mechanics of RPG games are superior.

Besides any game across all genres can be as immersive as you make it to be, some games just make it easier for the consumer to immerse himself without using his own head/fantasy than others. True perfection has to be imperfect.

Wunderpurps

Educated
He seems to hate half the games he plays, usually for stupid reasons so it's not a big stretch to say CRPG is not really what he wants.

Redlands

Arcane
Wunderpurps said:
He seems to hate half the games he plays, usually for stupid reasons so it's not a big stretch to say CRPG is not really what he wants.

By this logic CRPGs are not what the Codex wants.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Redlands said:
Wunderpurps said:

By this logic CRPGs are not what the Codex wants.

Most the games are not RPGs.

7hm

Scholar
Wunderpurps said:

Most of the games are crap.

Seriously, I don't know how someone can stomach playing some of what he's played.

He's been very positive about what most people would consider the more solid RPGs from the era (Ultima, M&M, Wizardry, Nethack, Rogue, Starflight, PoR).

Most games in the 80s were crap. Most games in the 90s were crap. Most game in the 2000s were crap and most games now are crap. You can't have something that excels without crap to compare it with. The idea of playing all the crap is ugh. But at least it will let him find some gems in the rough.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Some games look like crap, but turns out to be gems, like Demon's Winter. I probably wouldn't even have tried that game if not for CRPG Addict.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
7hm said:
Angelo85 said:
It's a sad day for the CRPG Community. With a heavy heart I have to report that our beloved, potential bro apparently was corrupted by the empire of decline:

One More Skyrim Posting

CRPG Addict said:
I rescind my earlier reservations: the game is fantastic--perhaps the best CRPG I have ever played.

In a shocking development, people can enjoy multiple types of games.

He likes storyline and worldbuilding stuff quite a bit, so it's not surprising.

edit: Of note, his posts before and after the 2 skyrim posts were about Wasteland. Half the people on here complaining about Skyrim being a further sign of the decline have never played Wasteland.

So, why would he like Skyrim?

Thrasher

Erudite
Yeah, so considering he has been flaying himself by playing so many old shitty games, why are we suprised that when he returns to the modern world, he thinks Skyrim is the best CRPG evah? Perhaps a lack of perspective casued by his own self-induced mindfucking? Only time will tell...

BTW, you would say the same thing about McDonalds if you had been starving on an island for years....

MMXI

Arcane
Thrasher said:
Yeah, so considering he has been flaying himself by playing so many old shitty games, why are we suprised that when he returns to the modern world, he thinks Skyrim is the best CRPG evah? Perhaps a lack of perspective casued by his own self-induced mindfucking? Only time will tell...

BTW, you would say the same thing about McDonalds if you had been starving on an island for years....
He was in the middle of Wasteland and before that had played Ultima V. There's just no excuse.

Thrasher

Erudite
I played Ultima VII and was pretty tired of the tedious gameplay by the end. Don't know about Wasteland.

MMXI

Arcane
Thrasher said:
Don't know about Starflight. Don't know about Might and Magic. Don't know about Pool of Radiance. Don't know about Demon's Winter.
Derp.

Tel Prydain

Augur
jancobblepot said:
Ultima 7 is shit. Go back and play Ultima 4 and 5.
Ultima 4 was a turdy waste of time grindfest. Just utter tedium.

Ultima 5 was awesome, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom