Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crusader Kings 2 wants to be your Friend

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

<p>Paradox is going the social networking route for <strong>Crusader Kings 2</strong>. From the <a href="http://www.facebook.com/Crusaderkings#!/Crusaderkings?v=wall" target="_blank">CK Facebook page</a>:</p><blockquote><p>Once this page has 25,000 fans - Crusader Kings 2 will be announced. Forge a Dynasty to Rule a Kingdom! </p></blockquote><p>Were there even 25,000 people that played the first Crusader Kings?
</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a></p>

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They actually decided to go and make a sequell? Wow, dunno how I missed this. Awesome news.

Konjad said:
I hope they will never reach that number :smug:

Seriously, what the fuck are you doing in the strategy forum? You hardly know any of the good games and show this off constantly with stupid remarks like the above one. Shut up and lurk a little or just fuck off will you?

dragonfk

Erudite
Trash said:
They actually decided to go and make a sequell? Wow, dunno how I missed this. Awesome news.

Konjad said:
I hope they will never reach that number :smug:

Seriously, what the fuck are you doing in the strategy forum? You hardly know any of the good games and show this off constantly with stupid remarks like the above one. Shut up and lurk a little or just fuck off will you?

:thumbsup:

L'ennui

Magister
Out-fucking-standing. CK was one of Paradox's most innovative games, I found (and probably the one I enjoyed the most as well, all in all... never actually finished a grand campaign, but starting as a duke in the Byzantine empire and gradually making your way to the top (by... er... byzantine means) and going on huge empire-expanding conquests (I had all of North Africa, the Balkans, a bit of Italy, Mid-East up to Iraq's north-eastern borders or so... and keeping all of that under my banner was already a very challenging feat in itself... no other game models these intricacies quite as well) was definitely a blast. Beats any Total War faggotry by miles.

Also, schizophrenic limp-dicked plague-stricken buffoon emperors FTW... *sigh*

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They also seem to be ready for yet another expansion for EU3. Fans kept asking for that one so I guess they are heading in the direction of democratically led developer company. Wonder if this is a good idea after all...

Anyway will look forward to it. First one had... unfortunate accidents during the development so it didnt come out that well, this time if they give the game enough lovin it could be a real killer.

dragonfk

Erudite
Malakal said:
Wonder if this is a good idea after all...

Why wouldn't it be? Seeing as their fanbase is strictly hardcore faithful to their model of strategy games and do not seek next-gen, popamole features found in other games.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If it is a social game that somehow packs in all the features of CK: Deus Vult, then it is definitely an :incline: in social games despite the medium.

mondblut

Arcane
Yeah, right. Moar liek a Farmville clone. Breed heirs and marry them to your friends' heirs, also raid them with profit and no harm to anyone. Send an SMS to receive more than one random event daily.

Phelot

Arcane
I guess there's not much else on this right now? I can't find anything about it on Paradox's site other then a forum post by fans.

I liked CK a little different from EU. It's fun to change random event occurances and make it so you end up with like 30 bastard sons. Or maybe only I found that to be fun...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
CK is good fun.And one of these days (probably after Vicky2 and CK2 are released) I'll kill myself while trying to do the mega-campaign, where you play through all of them, thanks to savegame exporting: CK-EU-Vicky-HoI

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GarfunkeL said:
CK is good fun.And one of these days (probably after Vicky2 and CK2 are released) I'll kill myself while trying to do the mega-campaign, where you play through all of them, thanks to savegame exporting: CK-EU-Vicky-HoI

Yeah, I'm actually considering this.
I hope you'll be able to export EU3 savegames to Victoria 2. I've managed to found the Holy Roman Empire in the early 1500s playing as Bavaria... but with half of Germany having left the Empire after I pushed that reform that made them all vassals.
I got myself some Lebensraum im Osten though when I crusaded against the Mongols. Also I discovered America and conquered some provinces of the natives, leading to me having some colonies there now.

Also I wonder if I should stay catholic because I'm currently the Papal controller and have good chances to stay it for a long while, or if I should accept Lutheranism when the Reformation starts because it gives a lot better bonuses.

Halp me make my choice, Kodex.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Protestant bonuses are of economic value only. Catholic bonuses and mainly the control of the Curia gives You incredible power for the state. BB reduction from cardinals is HUGE, so is the power to excommunicate - quick unification of Germany should be easy. Besides You are the Holy Roman Emperor so obviously You should protect the Holy Roman Church.

Crichton

Prophet
I don't know if they patched it back to health at some point, but at release, Crusader Kings was the most horrible thing wrought by the hands of men.

Particular Gems:

-Mongols take no penalty for managing a large kingdom, so if you could park your king in a mongol province, you might produce an heir that made you invincable.

-There were no rules for navies, so whenever an army wanted to cross a body of water, you just paid some moolah and magical mermaid sea taxis ferried you across.

-All neutrals had automatic military access so the fatamids could litterally walk an army through the byzantine empire, the balkans, france, across the english channel (remember the sea taxis), and though england to attack their hated enemy, scottland.

-8 million fucking bugs.

So yeah, if CK2 gets close to its goal on facebook, I may have to join the Pakis in their anti-facebook jihad.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually Paradox delegated the production of CK to a developer from Russia. But after they did nothing for some time they had to take it back and salvage the situation, thus releasing the game in a unfinished state.

But:
1. In medieval times it was easy to hire fleets as whole were avaiable as mercenaries. Read about crusades and about how exactly crusaders reached holy land. So it is very much correct that You only have to pay for transport.
2. Everything else was fixed later and was stemming from the issues left by Russians.

Araanor

Liturgist
The only thing Paradox kept from the russian developers were the graphics. Everything else was written from the ground up. They were on a pretty tight schedule to ship it.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Crichton said:
at release Crusader Kings was the most horrible thing wrought by the hands of men.
this

i've been replaying it after seeing news of a second CK and the frequent crashes (more than other paradox games) as well as the lack of control over the empire and too much silly random stuff happening, makes it a horrible mess... i hope they'll take the good concept and build a good game around it this time

Crichton

Prophet
But:
1. In medieval times it was easy to hire fleets as whole were avaiable as mercenaries. Read about crusades and about how exactly crusaders reached holy land. So it is very much correct that You only have to pay for transport.

This is complete bullshit, the Venitians were willing to ferry Crusaders around because a) they'd get a share of the loot (4th crusade) or b) because they were in sympathy with the crusade's aims. This is a pretty unique deal, and only available to these western european crusaders who could already get safe passage down to the med. They were not a taxi service willing to pick up a whole army from norway and take it to spain. And obviously they weren't willing to transport muslims to attack christian kingdoms.

I played an Irish kingdom in CK and had one of my irish neighbors attacked by an army of moors. That's right, moors caught a ride on mermaid sea taxis directly to Ireland. Even without all the other bullshit, universal naval transport turns the tiny army of every dipshit landlocked kingdom into some kind of global force-projection sea-raider x-men commando attack team.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That's nice. Do keep in mind that the game has been patched extensively and that there has been an expansion since though. It's matured very nicely since its release.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trash said:
That's nice. Do keep in mind that the game has been patched extensively and that there has been an expansion since though. It's matured very nicely since its release.

That said, Paradox games only become awesome after the first expansion, when they stop being a buggy mess, system hog and generally broken game with good ideas.

Monocause

Arcane
I don't blame Paradox much. Considering the scope of their games a conclusion is inevitable that they must be a real bitch to debug and introduce general polish.

They could take their time and release games a year later or so but I'm not sure whether they could keep afloat with such a model. Besides, Paradox is a one-of-a-kind dev and it's really not possible for a real strategy fan not to support them. The nights spent without sleep on the EU series prevent me from speaking about them with anything but highest admiration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom