Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, May 26, 2019.

1. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    interesting and historically inspired. I like.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I read this earlier. I quite liked it.

It will make Dynastic Politics important now, rather than "This guy is from my dinasty so he likes me more".

Also, political marriages become more than a method of obtaining new land for your desmene and gaining new alliances. Landing relatives in other thrones is now important.

Finally, cadet houses!

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    But they still effected war.

The Norman Conquest is a good example and one of the major string of successes William had was Harold sending his fleet from guarding the southern coast to rest in the Thames estuary. Had he met an opposing fleet things would have changed regardless of what that might have been, and who knows what condition his force would have been in if they'd still been able to land in England.

Had Harold been more of a mind to play a delayed action, if only to allow himself to regather the majority of the fyrd he'd disbanded before he moved north to York rather than charge back down to Southern England and attack William, the navy could have played another role allowing the English to cut and isolate William where ever he was. Whether he pushed on into England or remained stuck by the coast, he remained vulnerable to being cut off and isolated in enemy territory, something that would not exist if his fleet was 100% free of harm always ready to run back to and reboard.

As it stands, everyone is in a better position than William because even the AI is safe from harm allowing everyone to invade coasts on a whim. In CK2 that might be ok if it wasn't for how easy it is to build a fleet of ships to transport you around as well as the drive to try to simulate raiding, meaning that small flotillas of raiders can't be cock blocked either.

I think this is running into a huge problem with Paradox games in general: The sea regions are too massive and should be as broken up and small as the land ones (or smaller) to allow the games to show how groups of ships, even huge fleets, could hide in the vastness of the sea, but were still constrained by geography and things like wind that produced natural choke points where battles were likely. That would work if only to force the player and AI to break up their doomstack fleets and use small groups to scout, actually making full use of their lighter, faster ships in other games. (I don't know how HoE4 works as I've given up on PD games post CK2 and will only try future ones out once it's clear they're an improvement rather than a slow, tepid degeneration they've been even with CK2 and how simplistic it is.

The sad thing is, it seems Paradox has no interest in doing that and only seems to reluctantly do shit with Hearts of Iron because the naval aspect plays such a larger expected role.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Axioms Educated

Axioms
    I have to say CK3 is gonna be mediocre but it isn't going to be trash. The Dynasty stuff, the system similar to Secrets from Axioms, etc. They are doing a better than expected job and still lack any real competition. This will likely not be trash like Imperator.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    Paradox hasn't proven they can do Naval effectively in any of their games, which is why it's weird that people are begging for it in a game like CK where it's only going to make the AI exponentially worse than it already is.

Though it seems with Merchant Republics being reworked and probably re-DLC'd I can see them implementing some type of minimalist blockade/transport type mechanics to sell it But the people that want EU pop-a-mole naval 'herp derp I'm so good I tricked the AI into a stack wipe' battles: fuck off

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    That's the gist of what I ended my previous post about. They don't want to go to the effort to make it work properly and it fucks up so many eras making me increasingly give up on many of their games because I like naval warfare.

^ Top  
  7. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    I like naval warfare too, I'm just not expecting it from fucking Paradox Development Studio or in the second sequel to Crusader Kings 1, which I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Fuhrer mana.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nahel Arcane

Nahel
    The fact that spendor cant be lost is decline. Fucking up should lower dynasty prestige.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jonathan "Zee Cat Learned

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    Man i still waiting to this day for the "beta" patch to be implemented in the main game (One of the original devs did a patch on his on long after paradox abandoned the game that fixed alot of things).

^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    The default expectation is that new Paradox is on the decline and that a success like CK2 is difficult to follow up on even the best of times.

The concrete info in that DD itself sounds great, though, very welcome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. what am i doing Prophet

what am i doing
    I am disappointed he wasn't able to implement the "puppet shares overlord's map colour" feature from Stellaris into V2. I want to be able to map paint without direct annexation. Or do things like grant partial autonomy when forming the Danubian Federation while still retaining the same map footprint with my puppets. One of my few grievances with Vicky 2.

^ Top  
  13. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    Still being made by the guy that actually made CK2 even happen. It's been in development long before the Imperator dev cycle even began and Johan isn't really involved in CK3 at all.

Other than the bland UI, the mechanic improvements seem promising. From what we've seen there is at least some optimism to be had. I don't see PDS blundering one of their highest grossing IPs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jonathan "Zee Cat Learned

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    That's a great thing to hear, dude is fucking retard, every game he put hands on he transform in casual garbage.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Mikeal Cipher

Mikeal

• meh meh x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Whipped Cream Learned Patron

Whipped Cream
    The earliest Paradox grand strategy game chronologically is Imperator: Rome, which came out earlier this year and has a start date of 304 BCE. You can play as Scythia and Ptolemaic Egypt in that game. Although, if you don't already know, I feel that I should warn you that the game had a fairly middling reception and is considered by most people to be one of the worst Paradox grand strategy games (mainly due to it being overly streamlined and bare bones compared to earlier games).

There are a number of mods for Paradox games that are set in alternate time periods. You might be able to find one that is set earlier in time, but I'm not personally aware of any major ones that are set so early.

^ Top  
  19. North Gibraltarian Dog Learned

North Gibraltarian Dog
    Anarcho-gypsy confederation of latino-moors
    Sadly not. There are some mods with Ancient Near East content, but mostly for later periods, not too much for earliest ages. There are a little more diversity in Total War mods e.g., but also not too much.

The only strategy game focused in Mesopotamia/Bronze Age Near East that I ever experienced is Chariots of War, a 2003 turn-based Grand Strategy-lite game with real time battles (as a 2D Total War with resources collection relevance) in which the player must choose between more than 50 pre-hellenistic near eastern factions divided in 10 cultures. Historical accuracy is limited, not even close to Paradox games, the factions are anachronistically mixed, turn-based mode lacks a bit of complexity and real time battles are tactically simplistic and the way in wich units are presented make them chaotic (so not as tactically satisfying as old Total Wars nor as fun as Age of Empires). However, Chariots of War is a interesting title, It's kinda disappointing, could be great with some little changes and adittions, but still can be fun and constitutes the only true alternative for those interested in Grand Strategy in Ancient Near East setting. I recommend you and everyone interested in those periods to try this game, in the absence of something else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. North Gibraltarian Dog Learned

North Gibraltarian Dog
    Anarcho-gypsy confederation of latino-moors
    Not for akkadians or classic imperial egyptians and only partially for medes or scythians (chronologically and by specific content included).

I would like some mod or even better, original campaign, with 600 b.C as the end of the period, not the start. Good Ol' Orient for once.

^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    It does have late Egypt mate. Reading about that period and those cultures is pretty fun,but it doesn't have a material for a good grand strategy game. There is only a few known civilizations and most of the other tribes are forgotten by history. Not enough historical knowledge to make a well filled map with tribes.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Preben Savant

Preben
    There's like 1500 year gap between Akkadians (early bronze age) and Scythians (iron age to classical antiquity). If you want them squeezed somehow into one game, then Civilization is just for you.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    Speaking of Akkadians.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. AgentFransis Savant Patron

AgentFransis
    If you just want that ancient civ itch scratched here's some random suggestions:
    - Trade Empires has several scenarios in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt and Persia. It's a lovely little trading game I like to replay every few years. No combat, you just set up markets and trade routes and civilization spring up around them.
    - Dominions has a Sumerian themed faction, several Zoroastrian themed factions and an ancient Egypt themed faction. But of course it's all with a heavy mythological twist and the gameplay, is well, Dominions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.