Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Vatnik Wumao
So is this game jumping on the bandwagon civ5 started - autogenerating transports when your troops reach water?
Yes, but not as simplified. Off the top of my head:
- you still pay maintenance for sailing
- there are character events related to sailing (e.g. getting scurvy if you're too long at sea)
- when you hit the foreign shore as to raid, you cannot reembark immediately (ergo you can get fucked if the one you are raiding raises a larger army and gets to you in time)

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
So is this game jumping on the bandwagon civ5 started - autogenerating transports when your troops reach water?
Filthy casual. I know you meant to say "bandwagon Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom(2002) started".
Wait. I can't remember too well, but where was there even water in that game?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Filthy casual. I know you meant to say "bandwagon Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom(2002) started".
Wait. I can't remember too well, but where was there even water in that game?
Yes. Rivers mostly but some lakes and stuff. Units would transform into boats to cross it.

Vatnik Wumao
Wait, no navy improvements again? Lol, imagine making a medieval life simulator and not having navigable rivers being your most vital economic artery.
You still have the same system as CK3 with Norsemen and the like having access to navigable rivers.

Tradewise though, still nothing. We'll probably have to wait for the expansion which brings merchant republics to see an improvement to trade.

Vatnik Wumao
And consequently you get such silly and historically inaccurate situations as landlocked realms sending crusaders on foot to the Holy Land.
Which is shit Paradox should fix, instead of axing the whole mechanic
Between the two, I prefer having it scrapped altogether rather than poorly implemented. Though they might touch upon it in one of the expansions (guessing one centered around merchant republics).

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Just make a mechanic where ships can be levied/taken from merchants and the like
But that's exactly what CK2 has. There are no standing fleets, you levy them always.
And consequently you get such silly and historically inaccurate situations as landlocked realms sending crusaders on foot to the Holy Land.

Like the fucking First Crusade or the Frederick Barbarossa's part of the Third Crusade?

Vatnik Wumao
Just make a mechanic where ships can be levied/taken from merchants and the like
But that's exactly what CK2 has. There are no standing fleets, you levy them always.

Like the fucking First Crusade or the Frederick Barbarossa's part of the Third Crusade?
Some does not equal all and the landlocked AI did not make use properly of the mercenary fleets in CK2. At the end of the day, the fleet system was lackluster at best and it's better for it to be streamlined like this than kept as it was (with the possibility of further expansion later down the line).

Thorakitai

Learned
From the Paradox twitch stream, there's a confirmation that the Muwallad strain of Islam in CK3 is, by default, accepting of gay and lesbian relationships.

I mean Crusader Kings has unrealistic elements like the Sunset Invasion, that subplot about a demon possesion and witches and being able to achieve women's rights through the Conclave DLC but this is pushing it.

The above is like saying Ancient Greece and Rome is tolerant of homesexuality. Not to mention the above would increase your chances of being overthrown in CK2 due to the decadence mechanic.

Last edited:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
From the Paradox twitch stream, there's a confirmation that the Muwallad strain of Islam in CK3 is, by default, accepting of gay and lesbian relationships.

I mean Crusader Kings has unrealistic elements like the Sunset Invasion, that subplot about a demon possesion and witches and being able to achieve women's rights through the Conclave DLC but this is pushing it.

The above is like saying Ancient Greece and Rome is tolerant of homesexuality. Not to mention the above would increase your chances of being overthrown in CK2 due to the decadence mechanic.
I don't know about you by homesexuality sounds comfy.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The above is like saying Ancient Greece... is tolerant of homesexuality.
300b29a4ece1a1375a38edb7f9eea036.jpg

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

This is not homosexuality (at least in the modern sense). That's pederasty, ie. relationship between grown-up men and young boys. The Ancients had much more nuanced view of what was acceptable and what wasn't. It was, for instance, absolutely below the dignity of any free adult man to be a bottom penetrated by another man. Such man was considered to be lacking any dignity. In Athens, for instance, a man with such a past was ineligible to stand for public office. It was, however, socially acceptable for a man to be a top in a homosexual relationship. It was also acceptable to be the receptive partner while still a prepubescent boy. Even for a royal, since future Philip II of Macedon was a youthful lover of one Theban statesman.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
This is not homosexuality (at least in the modern sense). That's pederasty, ie. relationship between grown-up men and young boys.
It is a same-sex relationship so yes it is homosexuality. Being homosexual and being a pedophile are not mutually exclusive (if anything, just the opposite).
Perhaps this will clarify:
quote-many-people-are-skeptical-about-marriage-of-michael-jackson-and-lisa-marie-pressley-norm-macdonald-143-87-77.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom