Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 3

Improving the tech considerably isn't really going to change the quality of FPS gameplay itself much, the spectacle might be increased, but moment to moment gameplay will always remain a very shortlived and non-cerebral affair. Hence, claiming that if Crytek would have stayed PC exclusive and thus Crysis 2 would have turned out better, is imo very doubtful.

It might allow bigger areas with more ways to approach a mission and with more active enemies and allies at once. You know, like Crysis 1 had. Which is why it's better.

waywardOne

Arcane
I didn't think I needed to preface my query with "Since this is the RPGCodex and therefore favor gameplay over graphics..."

Gord

Arcane
and this isn't all the fault of consoles.

Actually, it is.

I think it's too simple to attribute the state of gaming to the prevalence of consoles. They may be a symptom, but they aren't the cause.
The underlying issue is the change in the target audience - consoles help with that, but they are not mandatory.

My (subjective, of course) opinion is that the main reason for what we call decline is that games have become a mass market phenomenon.

Multiplatform development is just another symptom of that.
Interstingly even some console players complain that their games are declining - due to pc-ification ironically.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The recent video was so bad.

You gotta love the next-gen stealth. Not only it's an invisibility "win button" - he basically kills a dude and drops his body to the ground literally 1 meter behind another dude - and that dude doesn't even blink.

But hey at least kids can now say it's a stealth game because guards try their best to ignore you.

It might allow bigger areas with more ways to approach a mission and with more active enemies and allies at once. You know, like Crysis 1 had. Which is why it's better.

And what did it change? Newsflash there's zero difference in how Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 are played. You just hit the Win Button and kill blind and deaf imbeciles until you see end titles.

What's the difference if it's a corridor or not? The real problem is that Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 are not techdemos anymore. And graphics techdemo bit was the only thing of any value in Crytek's so called "games"

Achilles

Arcane
But please, let the hate commence.

You misunderstand me, I'm not saying Crysis 2 is shit. I'm saying you're wrong about Crysis 1, it's a great game. I finished it again a couple fo weeks ago, trying all sorts of crazy shit and having tons of fun in the process.

What, you assume that Crysis 1 actually still looks good?

It does. It's not jaw-dropping anymore but it's still one of the very few games to offer great visuals and lots of destructible scenery. Red Faction Guerilla tops it in terms of destruction but looks like utter shit doing so.

Suchy

Arcane
Got bored 2/3rd of the vid, I'll pass. Crysis 1 at least looked good, this is just more of C2 with console graphics.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My (subjective, of course) opinion is that the main reason for what we call decline is that games have become a mass market phenomenon.

And why is gaming a mass market phenomenon? Consoles.

Interstingly even some console players complain that their games are declining - due to pc-ification ironically.

And they're right to complain. The decline consists of PC games adapting to console players and mechanics, but also console trying to emulate PC gaming and utterly failing at it (notoriously in FPS and RPG games)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It looks good from a technical standpoint. The displacement mapped trees look particularly good, considering their low poly count. It always amazes me how many clever tricks you can use to make such crude rendering methods give good results.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ugh that doesn't look special at all.
Shitty viewdistance, fog everywhere, 20m wide corridors, fog everywhere. Fucking fog - everything is grey on white 100m away already, it's like CryTek took 3D to a new level. The 1995 level.

But at least it has vegetation due to those sacrifices so consoletards can see some kind of grass and trees on consoles that are 3D for the first time in their lives and effects that will not make it into an actual product (hence techdemo)

Nice to see that they took the same shit BF3 used to cover its camera and applied it to the camera in Crysis3 to cover shit up. Maybe if you will add so much shit to your visuals they will be so shitty they will become good.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Ugh that doesn't look special at all.
Shitty viewdistance, fog everywhere, 20m wide corridors, fog everywhere. Fucking fog - everything is grey on white 100m away already, it's like CryTek took 3D to a new level. The 1995 level.

But at least it has vegetation due to those sacrifices so consoletards can see some kind of grass and trees on consoles that are 3D for the first time in their lives and effects that will not make it into an actual product (hence techdemo)

Nice to see that they took the same shit BF3 used to cover its camera and applied it to the camera in Crysis3 to cover shit up. Maybe if you will add so much shit to your visuals they will be so shitty they will become good.

I'm pretty sure consoletards aren't going to see displacement mapping or tesselation on their outdated hardware no matter how much fog Crytek puts into the game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm pretty sure consoletards aren't going to see displacement mapping or tesselation on their outdated hardware no matter how much fog Crytek puts into the game.

True. But it would've been much more awesome if it was PC exclusive. Imagine all those effects added to Crysis graphics and VD.

Instead we get "Composite 3D Lens Flare" that looks like someone put glasses on your face and then took a dump on them.

You know that this shit can be turned off if you don't like it.

You mean you managed to find graphics settings in Crysis 2?

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Shitty GREEEEEEEEN colour scheme would still require a mod to fix. I thought I was looking at Fallout 3 here.

MetalCraze

Arcane
crysis_3_-_e3_2012_-_dambusters_-_cell_dam.png

Hmm I'm really not sure what's so groundbreaking here. Everything is so walled in and trees barely have any detail on them. Yet you have shit covering the screen. No tessellation will help when you don't have any detail to begin with.

Remove piss and fog and green filter and it will look no different from CoDMW

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Hmm I'm really not sure what's so groundbreaking here.

You could put an artfully snapped real life photograph of a beautiful scenery in front of Skyway, and he'd still wonder "I'm really not so sure what's supposed to be so pretty there".

Maybe life in Ukraine is literally so dark and grim which unfortunately left his brain immune to anything that has more than two colors. Maybe he just can't see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom