Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CULTIC - Blood-inspired episodic retro FPS

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, played the demo, overall I had a positive impression about it even if it had a few important issues.

I liked the music and sound design, the lighting is also pretty well done, game feels atmospheric and they had some nice enviromental storytelling going there with you waking up on a ditch filled with corpses, progressing into the forest, you get to understand where you are and what the places you are were used for and I always appreciate those little details.

The graphics, I like the color choices for the textures and ambient light, makes the game looking very atmospheric, I just think they exaggerated with the "retro" look and it wasnt necessary, the models and sprites are a little too low resolution, Blood certainly had alot crispier looking sprites this is important specially for the guns that look muddy as fuck on this game, initially I had difficulties trying to figure out if I was holding a hunting rifle or a shotgun because the sprites are indeed lower resolution. They could achieve the same effect they had with better sprites and assets. Some enemies like those pistol cultists wearing gray robes many times are almost indistinguishable from the environment at distance.

Enviromental interaction, typical Build Engine games, blow places with cracks, explosive barrels, can interact with toilers, push levers, break vents and crates.

The level design is indeed linear but not as bad as I thought, the first half of the demo is a little open while the mines section is alot more linear but there are closed doors for you to find the key and backtrack, there are loop arounds to return to a previous place, there are also secrets that I managed to find 5/10 typical stuff of an old school FPS to break the feeling of being railroaded and it isnt suffocating linear as I feared.

Enemy design and combat, hard to say here, it is a demo so I cant expect to face all enemy types and I cant know how they interact with each other on a chaotic fight, basically you fight three variations of cultists and weird explosive zombies right close to the end. I played on Hard and it was easy but it is hard to say as it is the first level and a demo so difficulty tuning is far from finished or it isnt representative of the whole game.

I have mixed feelings about ranged enemies and enemy placement, it could be because I wasnt playing on the last difficulty but you just find 2 to 4 guys, you just kill the ones using the pistols that are the only ones that are actually dangerous, the zombies and melee cultists are just shooting fish on the barrel of how easy they are and it wasnt that I needed to ration my bullets as I had plenty of them half way through, again, it is on the begining of the game and a demo so there are maybe more enemy types to make things more engaging and more balance passes on the final game.

I also have mixed feeling about the hitscan accuracy of the pistol cultists and how you sort of get a soft flinch and red screen effect being shot, they were the only actual enemy that was dangerous and without them the combat would be boring as fuck, they were extremely dangerous at close quarters because they could quickly kill you and this was nice but at the same time this might lead to peeking corners behavior and killing everyone at distance before entering a room to not die what isnt that fun. We will see how the final game balancing will be.

The weapons feel nice to shoot, have decent gun sounds even if I think they dont innovate much, they did the basic: pistol, automatic gun, shotgun triangle well enough at least in terms of shooting feeling, weapon balance is another story. Speaking of weapon balancing on a demo is sort of pointless because it will probably change alot but I will do it anyway, I felt that the pistol is a little too much the go to weapon and the other weapons hadnt much opportunities to shine on the demo, basically I killed everyone with the pistol that seems more than enough to handle most encounters and only killed two enemies with the rifle on the entire demo, the shotgun I only used to kill the zombies because they dont explode that way. The dynamite sticks I only used once to blow a wall. Maybe it is only the demo but if this is an indicative how the whole game will be, they need to rethink some things.

TLDR: Overall, I had the feeling that whoever is making this was trying really hard into making a Build engine game with influences from Blood, it isnt a cynical lets use Blood name for the marketing and while I liked the atmosphere, I still feel that they only partially were successful at it and it feels like a bootleg version of Blood with Blood still being cleary superior with far better encounter design and weapon design from the get go. It is a wait and see for me, I ended enjoying the playthrough, seems decent enough as a Blood homage even if it doesnt end being top FPS game design, I ended my playthrough curious to see where this is going what is a good thing.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
You don't want to make Battle Beyond The Stars when everyone has already seen Star Wars.
I mean, I get what you're saying, but Battle Beyond the Stars owes more to Seven Samurai than Star Wars.
You can make that comparison but I would not go THAT hard on Cultic.
I feel like the storefront is marketing this game all wrong since a lot of the gameplay feels more deliberate than the action John Wu flip fest that was Blood.
Try running and crouching. This game is much looser than blood. There is also less thought put into making the weapons have particular uses like in Blood. There is no group of zombies you switch to dynamite for, there are no hellhounds that are weak to tesla. You just run around and shoot with whatever is the best weapon you have ammo for and it will work against everything.
to the slower movement, the longer range, higher accuracy.
Did we play the same demo?
The tone is trying to be more lovecraft investigator with some Blood undertones. But it doesn't nearly try to do the cheesy horror shtick like Blood did.
It does. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre enemy didn't tip you off? What are you smoking? This is not an investigation game.
And the fact people here are whining that this isn't Blood (while not playing the excellent Blood fan made stuff people are making instead).
Are you completely fucking retarded? If I didn't have Blood and some user episodes installed it would not be so easy to make the comparisons between Cultic and Blood. Because Cultic is not doing its own thing it should improve what has been done before. Is the dynamite more satisfying to use in Cultic? Fuck no. You have a 1:1 comparison between the cultist and Blood wins out easily. Level design, encounter design, you name it, Blood does it much better. Is Cultic dogshit tho? No, it is just mediocre. It would have been better if it tried to be different enough from Blood that it did not invite comparisons. It's kinda like how Firaxis fucked themselves with Beyond Earth by larping Alpha Centauri instead of doing something more original like setting their on Mars or something.

Also what is even the point of being able to unbundle the dynamite?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I also have mixed feeling about the hitscan accuracy of the pistol cultists and how you sort of get a soft flinch and red screen effect being shot, they were the only actual enemy that was dangerous and without them the combat would be boring as fuck, they were extremely dangerous at close quarters because they could quickly kill you and this was nice but at the same time this might lead to peeking corners behavior and killing everyone at distance before entering a room to not die what isnt that fun. We will see how the final game balancing will be.
IMO they were done more or less correctly. Hitscan glass cannons that keep you on your toes is a good enemy concept.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I tried the demo yesterday and I agree with the general consensus in this thread. The game tries to sell itself on the nostalgia, specifically Blood, but feels inferior in most ways. There are redeeming qualities but I'd personally rather just go back and play Blood or other Build Engine games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Blood inspired? More like Blood ripoff. Weapons are the same as Blood. Enemies are the same, color palette is the same.

Shameful lack of originality.

The only thing that is not the same is the graphics which are actually worse.

soulburner

Cipher
This still looks like a 1996 era Build engine game that took a color reduction to 16 performed with Paint.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
How the fuck did I miss this? Is it any good though? The level design was part of what made Blood great.

soulburner

Cipher
How the fuck did I miss this? Is it any good though? The level design was part of what made Blood great.
The demo I played isn't bad, but it has nothing to do with Blood or quality of its level design.
If you're expecting some kind of a kind of Blood tribute, this ain't it.

Fargus

Arcane

I've played the demo last year and the action was really good in my opinion. I don't care if its not going to be a carbon copy of Blood, but it seems the game will have less personality than Blood... if any. Cabal cultists in Blood were amusing enemies with their own language, always acted doped up and hurled insults at you. Cultists in Cultic are boring gurgling fucktards and just zombies\posessed with guns. Main character will be mute with no one liners or personality. Overall tone of the game will be more serious.

I don't know whether or not the dev updated the demo from last year and what his plans right now other than releasing chapter 1. Still i was impressed with gameplay and hope the full game will turn out nice in the end.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
So, only the first chapter? With the second one potentially never coming out. I knew something was off when 3Dcucks got involved. They must be terrified at the thought of having yet another game forever stuck in early access with their name attached to it. Must have felt like butchering it into parts was a better idea like it's 90s or something. Not sure what the dev was thinking either. But it's his business.

MEH. I'll wait for a huge discount on this one to buy it even cheaper yo-ho-ho this shit
pXSIufW.jpg

lol, will have to wait for crack too.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the content in episode 1 worth it? Does it end on some cliffhanger/non-climax? I mean... I was probably going to grab this but then I read "Episode 2 will probably be the same price" and uhh.. they are releasing it as a separate game? as dlc? both options seem dumb to me.. thought they would do it like Hedon did where ep 2 just gets added to the main game and the price goes up for new buyers... 3d realms gonna 3d realms though

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
boomshoot be liek, yo dawg, jumpin up and down, flippin all around, physics are in town, we're a bunch of clowns and we say this is R E T R O !!!

STOP focusing on this gay-action explosion-gore fag-shit, indie devs. where is the ADVENTURE??? the dungeon crawler with gun??? 0/10 did not even watch trailer

toughasnails

Not sure what the dev was thinking either. But it's his business.
He releases something, being very upfront as to what it is, and gets some money from sales without being explicitly obliged to provide more and potentially incurring negativity if he fails to or is too slow as would be the case if he released this as EA with higher price. Plus it is way for 3DR to avoid the bad press that followed Wrath and to lesser extent Graven's EA adventures.

Also don't forget that the dev isn't getting a dime from 3DR during development...

manifest

Educated
Not sure what the dev was thinking either. But it's his business.
Plus it is way for 3DR to avoid the bad press that followed Wrath and to lesser extent Graven's EA adventures.

Also don't forget that the dev isn't getting a dime from 3DR during development...
Are you basing that latter part on the situation re: Bombshell's expansion? 3D Realms got bought out by Embracer last year, so maybe they have more production oversight going forward. The creator talks about early access and development issues in this interview (from the timestamp):

From what he's saying I'm really not expecting much. Struggles to run on modest machines because it's built in Unity. Looks like absolute ass with youtube compression, too. He mentions that the goal was six to eight hour length for the first chapter, maybe he delivered.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I've played the game for an hour and it is fun. Reminds me of Blood, but without the charm, and there are references to Blood in there. In all honesty it is okay, but it makes me want to go play Blood again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom