Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay Reveal Video

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Aug 28, 2018.

1. epeli Arcane

epeli
    What? Dumb jew. Go back to newsposting, you don't know shit about how games work. That's just some buggy NPC showcasing Bethesda Quality™ and thinking his radiant destination is more important than not walking away from the conversation, happens in their older games too. The player initiated dialog mode and very obviously gets locked in said mode when the responses pop up. Even cursor mode changes, ffs. Standard dialog tree stuff, even if a dumbed down implementation.

That's nothing like a nonmodal dialog system where options between multiple conversationalists appear on the screen based on context. Some games have done limited experimenting with conversations involving the player that keep moving forward even without player input, but completely nonmodal dialog in RPGs is very rare as far as I know. Consortium is probably the best example of it.

In the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay video we see what appears to be dialog options appearing depending on context, ie. what is going on around the player (not a mode initiated by player or script triggers, although the events and dialogs themselves are obviously scripted as usual) and changing depending on where the player looks and/or as the scene progresses. And some dialog options appear during other actions like walking/looking around and those are smoothly ignored, because there isn't a separate dialog mode.

• Racist Racist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    He's not, the player can also walk away. This was a stated feature of FO4, I'm not making this up.

It is true that when the player character actually speaks you're locked into cutscene mode, but during the selection phase you can also just walk away.

I do agree that it's not as fully realized as what Cyberpunk 2077 is doing

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    No, not at all. The innovation is not that gameplay continues during conversation. It’s that depending on where you look, you have different options in the same conversation. In any other RPG, you get one list of dialogue options. In Cyberpunk, your options change based on where you look DURING the conversation. When the corporate lady holds you hostage, there’s no option to grab the gun if you just look at the woman. You only get that choice when you turn to face the guy pointing a gun at you.

Fallout 4 just has ordinary, extremely limited, dialogue trees.

Edit: yes, you can walk away from some conversations in Fallout 4, so what? That’s not what we’re talking about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Isn't it? epeli said "dynamic nonmodal dialog system". I'm not sure how you define "dynamic" but they are all non-modal *shrug*

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

What?

Vamonos, cabrones, and pendejo are all commonly used words in many Spanish dialects. Cabron is used by both Mexicans and Puerto Ricans, for example. Also, this is an American city (I’m presuming). Much of the latino Spanglish is a mish mash of mostly Mexican with a smattering of Central American, depending on the area and demographic concentration.

For example, the use of “Vos” as in “Vosotros” is common in some Central American countries as well as Spain. But it’s almost never used in day to day Spanish in other countries. Also, if you ever spend time in the Latino parts of Washington DC, you’ll hear ppl use “Vos” more and more the closer you get to the Salvadoran and Honduran areas. Same thing in Miami where use of “papi” is a common term for “dude” among Puerto Ricans (their dialect is almost not even Spanish but maybe Im just being a snob. Dominicans are much worse though).

Growing up in TX, we had family friends from both Mexico and Central America. Our generation would all hang out together as the origin countries had leas relevance. The Mexican kids would adopt Central American words and the Central American kids would adopt Mexican words. It was quite common growing up in the 90s.

Although sometimes there would be situaions where a word could be used very differently depending on the country. The word “chucho” in Honduran/Salvadoran Spanish is a slang word for dog. In Mexican Spanish it’s considered an obcenity.

Anyways, you don’t seem to be American or have spent much time in CA or have much practical exposure to American Spanglish. A good proxy might be to watch Born in East LA as well as Blood in Blood Out (aka Bound by Honor). If you can only watch one I’d recommend the latter.

EDIT:

This is factually incorrect.

This is also factually incorrect.

I think you’d find the Spanish spoken in the US pretty jarring regardless of video games.

Mustawd Storytime:

I spent some time in the Rio Grande Valley in South TX (think Brownsville if you wanna look at a map). The area is basically one large border town. It’s 30 mins or so drive from Mexico.Talk about jarring.

The language spoken there is reminiscent slightly of the slang language in Blade Runner. I say that because it’s not quite Spanish. It’s not quite English.

“Yes Mustawd but you just saidLatinos i the US use a lot of Spanglish anyhow”

Yes, they do, but it’s usually makority English with a smattering of Spanish. In the Rio Grande Valley many times it was hard to tell if there was any presominant language. People would start a sentence in English, switch to Spanish, then start switching back and forth every word or every other word. Then you had the phenomena of just made up words that kinda sounded like English and kinda sounded like Spanish.

Cabello = Hair in Spanish. But they’d shorten it to just “bello”. That is not a
    common slang anywhere else I’ve lived in the US or otherwiae.

Also, if you go to a border town like Matamoros or Tijuana you’ll see a variety of steeet foods. One of them is called the “Lonche”. If that sounds sorta like the word “Lunch”, it’s because it linda is. They took the word Lunch, and Mexicanified it. Now the Lonche is pretty widespread throughout Mexico. IIRC there are other similar words like that but Lonche is very much a border town thing.

So yah, I’m sure Spanish-speaking Europeans would be thoroughly confused.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    Dynamic means it changes in reaction to what you do! That’s the whole point.

^ Top  
  7. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    The option is still listed, it's just faded unless you look at the bodyguard.

[​IMG]

Since you don't have to think and look around to get the option, it's just a pointless gimmick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    I think he's mistaking option fading in and out for "DYNAMIC MODEL SYSTEM".

All of the options are in front of you already, that's all you'll have.

These are similar to options you get in Mass Effect every now and then, where your character can shoot some people or attack them during dialogue. This is the same thing except it's spaced apart. Not sure why you'd think this is revolutionary just cause they added more space between the choices.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    This would be good enough for me, but why aren't those lines telling you exactly what your character is going to say? With that simple list and without some kind of stupid selection wheel it should be easy to do unless there is a character limit. Maybe we can mod this in after the game is out :)...

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Finish ur VTMB mod first? Its been years bro.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    I have named Culo and also Culo (arse) can be seen as swearing. Hombre is a form of addressing someone, likewise Señor and Carnal. You are right about poquito, that is stands out and does not fit my classification and clearly i have skipped over it. Random would be, if he would throw in spanish words without a specific choice or use in one case a spanish word and in other case the word in english or a use similar english word. He calls the organ / cyber ripper group "scavs" and the "Militech" corporate employee "suits", the cyber gang "Maelstrom", but this are specific groups and are mostly names used for this groups. Also he uses also only once "Bastards" in [ 98) Had the thoughest bastards guarding this route... Probably some reason for that. (40:51) ] and only once Gangoons in [76) Gangoons gettin' creative with their gear... (33:01)] He calls out in combat "Pinche cocksuckers", which is the only direct insult conatining an english word, but he uses english and spanish in this combination. The outliers here are only Bastards and Cocksuckers.
    Hombre, Senor, Cabrones, Pendejo, Carnal and Jaina are a form of addressing / labeling direct or indirect someone. And he address directly "V" with Orale at the beginning to emphasise the importance of the thing that he will say next, in two cases. Concerning addressing V with Jaina: He never says Chicka or Girl or Baby or Honey. And therefore i'm pretty much staying with my assessment of Jackie's language, but admit that poquito is not good used here, likewise Senor and Fuera. Also his language would be more complete if all his insults would be in spanish.

To complicate my problem in distinguishing castellano from latino is the fact that my lifttime friends are from south america and that i lerned words (like pendejo and hijo de puta ) from them before i had spanish in school.
    I use from times to times "Orale, vato!" "Vamonos Muchachos!" and have always assumed that the first one is mexican, and the second is used in spain and in whole latin america.

Btw. I'm as autistic as it gets - think who would go through the whole video and write Jackie's sentences down. And for me this is fun, because i learn much about creating characters and giving them a specific distinguishable language based on specific rules.

Sadly we cannot customise Jackie's look, but if we could than this guy (Danny Trejo) only a bit younger would be my right hand man:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. toro Arcane

toro

• Shit Shit x 6
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Lolol. To expect such nuance in a big, expensive game like this in 2018. That that bit of dialogue is even as faint as it is about all the surprise or discovery that's going to be in this game. These are the same people who had exclamation points telling you where you can find the next heap of useless trash in The Witcher 3 lol.

^ Top  
  14. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    Well that’s considerably less impressive, although it would be great if they hid the extra options and made you work for them. I think they’ve said something about women yelling at you if you stare at their boobs, but that’s not exactly a Great Leap Forward either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. epeli Arcane

epeli
    I... I don't know how to get this through to you. That's a separate dialog mode. You press a button to initiate a dialog mode with NPC. (or do you not? idk) It changes your controls. You're (more or less) locked in said mode. Bethesda may have gotten some stupid marketing drivel into your skull, but the end result appears to be nothing but slightly more buggy and less developed dialog trees than usual. You can't get dynamic options during conversations based on your actions, where you look at, or scene progression. Apparently you can walk away though, but you can't look around/aim/shoot/do anything normal while selecting responses. And can't do anything while your character speaks. How is that non-modal to you?

Now back to CP2077. Most of the dialogs we saw took place during cutsceney quest events. But some dialog options appeared while the player was freely moving/looking around/looting stuff, so it has to be non-modal. Understand?

Was just watching the video a second time and noticed the same. Same deal with all other dialog options originating from other entities than the primary dialog target. A shame, certainly makes the system appear far more like a standard dialog tree rather than something more dynamic. Hoping there'll at least be UI options to change this.

Revolutionary? I didn't mean to imply that even when had a wrong impression about it. The nonmodal dialog responses appearing during normal gameplay are what caught my attention the most. Combine that with dialog choices that can be altered just by looking or aiming at something. The potential for these systems is unprecedented, but it remains to be seen how CDPR uses them.

Still, the dialog was the only interesting part of the gameplay video (because they hardly showed any stats/RPG systems.) Yet most of the entire internet seems busy debating whether the game looks cyberpunk or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    So you think that the dialog scheduler carries on and that if you not take a specific answer this is also an answer? I hope.

I hope also.

It would change the dialog gameplay considerably. You could play the cautious thinker who lets other talk and sometimes sits the situation out or you could be a trigger happy ADHS / Speed junkie. And it all would depend on you the player and if you search for opportunities and options to act or you stand still doing nothing and saying nothing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    ^ Top  
  17. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    • Why? That’s very common in Spanglish to just throw in random words to replace English words.

For example, “Es que, you don’t want to do that” or “Pero anyways” are two examples of very common Spanglish that you see in large Latino hubs in the US. If LA was their city of choice (I forget where this game takes place) then they could have added a few more local tweaks to make it feel more authentic.

For example, many Latinos in LA have a random tendency to use “ ‘ey” (short for “hey”) in random parts of sentences.

Anyways, everyone needs to remember this isn’t strictly Spanish. Jackie is best classified as a Chicano anyhow.

The term used to be viewed negatively but US born Mexicans use it in a positive way for self identification, and is considered distinct from pure Mexican heritage.

Seriously guys. Go watch Blood In Blood Out. This would all make a lot more sense.

^ Top  
  18. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    I think that "poquito" is somehow squeezed / curshed in between english words and it stands out from Jackies other use of spanish words. Therefore it looks a bit artifical for me, like someone who doesn't speak spanish wants to include some word that he has just lerned the other day, as with "El queso está viejo y pútrido. ¿Dónde está el sanitario?" But i don't think that it would be something out of the ordinary. Perhaps it is just my wish for total order, because "Ordnung muss sein!".
    Btw.: You confirmed basically most of my statements, but if i make mistakes concerning chicanos then please correct me.

I have a certain affinity towards latin america based on my lifetime friendships. As everyone was listening to rap from afro- americans, i turned towards latin america and i have listen to latin / chicano rock, metal and music and bands like Santana, Malo, Los Lobos, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, Sepultura-Soulfly and etc. I have watched many films about chicanos and i think i have seen Blood In Blood Out, but i cannot say for sure, and cannot base my assessment on it.

^ Top  
  19. Agame Arcane Patron

Agame
    Insert Title Here
    Gillian Anderson cameo?!:bounce:

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    No it isn't. You're the only one who finds Fallout 4's dialog system "interesting". In Fallout 4, you can walk around and get bothered by annoying dialog choices popping up on the screen by random people on the side. This is a very stupid way to do conversation cause it leads to hilarious situations, where NPC's can still do whatever they want while the player is trying to talk to them. Even though that's just Bethesda's incompetence and I'm sure it won't happen with CD Projekt, that dialogue system is still asinine and annoying when all you want to do is to explore without dialog popping up and you accidentally clicking on it.

I created this video two years ago for a reason:

While we're at it, the voice actress in Fallout 4 for PC is better than the one in Cyberpunk. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Dialogue was fine. Chick’s VA was fine. Not sure what you’re finding off putting about it. Just wait for the localization of whatever shit Euro country you’re from.

Show Spoiler
    :love:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • sheeple sheeple x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Quantomas Learned

Quantomas
    https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-shooting-counterstrike/

The HUD elements can be customized and turned off. :incline: Well, that was to be expected with a modular augmentation and scanner system design.

Regarding the dialog non-modal design, it's work in progress and too early for conclusions. At least CDPR is smarter than your average developer, and certainly than the AAA lot. Chances are that if augs and your scanning/zooming abilities matter and can be used while you talk, the dialog system needs to be way more flexible than what current AAA titles offer.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. DexRiwus Novice

DexRiwus
    People here trying too hard to hate on this:
    "wha with my rain and eternal darkness (this is not blade runner rip-off and cyberpunk is not synonym for noir misery porn)"
    "where is my dialogue choices that lock you on NPC (they don't lock you because game has interactive environment and choices do not limit themself to just choosing line of dialogue)",
    "Wher ar ghrafix (even though devs clearly mentioned that they are working on it)",
    "why there are numbers in an open-world ARPG (so you want stats and character development, but don't want them to affect combar at all?)",
    "wha it is so easy ('cause they said that they put end-game shit in that scene to show it off),
    "lul, paid but still got attacked, much choice (even though it was mentioned that there are multiple ways to deal with situation: 1)work with corps and get fucked over (like in this vid) 2)do not work with corp and pay for robot(deal goes fine and bitch-lady dies) 3) just stealth that shit and steal spider 4) kill them all,
    "why latino guy is being latino guy?".

Like, God, at least try to give something that does not stem from ignorance and is legit game's problem- pulling criticism out of your ass does not make you look smarter.

• Agree x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • popamole x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ropulos Arcane Patron

ropulos
    this post reminds me of the pre-Fallout 4 days

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Fallout 3 was worse than Fallout 4. Fallout 3 has only the appearance of C&C, while Fallout 4 is at least honest concerning this. But to be honest i play Fallout 4 not like an RPG, but more like a Base Building Sims, where i shit on the story and RPG elements despite my affinity with the institute.
    Nevertheless in my opinion his criticism about the criticism towards CP77 is correct and i have also already defended CP77 against 3 of this "invalid" points of criticism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.