Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Cyberpunk 2077 PlayStation Gameplay Footage

Derringer

Prophet
I wonder if they all vote with Communist Venezuelan software in the game.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
'Now please report to room number two.'

The level designer clearly thought this through because even if the player has no line of sight on door 2, they cannot miss the door directly in front of them as they enter the building, which is marked with a 1. This implies there are more doors with room numbers around the corner. Also, each number is coloured in bright orange to stand out from the dingy surroundings. I'm hoping this means it's possible to turn off the annoying mini-maps/HUD markers and navigate the world of Cyberpunk 2077 by environmental cues, but the realist in me doubts it.

I hope we have quest compass for that. I am no good with directions.

Dr Schultz

Augur
In short, the only reason because you are convinced that a RPG where you become weaker over time can't work is because you haven't played any. And you haven't played any because a couple of very old P&P systems influenced almost all the videogames that market themselves as RPG.
In some way, Pirates! is an RPG where you become weaker over time, because your character ages. It's a good concept that should be tried out more though - a story-integrated mechanic where the character becomes weaker in some areas as he gains experience and proficiency in other areas.

Exactly. And Darklands has the same mechanic, which, unsurprisingly, in not that uncommon among P&P systems.
Ars Magica, for instance, a system that I'm quite fond of, has detailed rules about ageing.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
'Now please report to room number two.'

The level designer clearly thought this through because even if the player has no line of sight on door 2, they cannot miss the door directly in front of them as they enter the building, which is marked with a 1. This implies there are more doors with room numbers around the corner. Also, each number is coloured in bright orange to stand out from the dingy surroundings. I'm hoping this means it's possible to turn off the annoying mini-maps/HUD markers and navigate the world of Cyberpunk 2077 by environmental cues, but the realist in me doubts it.

I hope we have quest compass for that. I am no good with directions.
I want a quest compass to the quest compass, just in case I don't find it.

gulagdandy

Novice
The first few pages of comments are just codexers crying and whining because there's a big game coming out that doesn't cater specifically to them. Honestly embarrasing, and I imagine most of you are middle aged men too. Grow up already, if you don't like it, don't play it.

I'm disappointed by more than a few decisions CDPR has made here, but it still looks like they're going to deliver a highly immersive game with some real choice & consequence and a fun story: that'll do for me. In fact, I've read more than one review comparing it to the OG Deus Ex -- which is, you know, a top 10 RPG of all time according to the codex itself.

laclongquan

Arcane
We wont argue about the WHY, we only tell you the facts.

Fact is: NOBODY like playing a character growing weaker over time. At least, nobody in enough number to even worth the effort of making a mod , let alone a full game. A game with that feature? it would have get modded out or patched out in no time flat..

False.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinner:_Sacrifice_for_Redemption
Sadly, fwhat a shining, stellar examples of a game fall flat on its face and nobody remember what it is.
2nd Fact: Chulthu is a niche genre. You make a chulthu-esqe (or Lovecraftian) game and maybe, maybe a small number of gamers will buy your game. Guarantee to get your effort thrown out of window and your company broken.

False again.
I'm not surprised that in this forum very few users have noticed that, but horror games reached the peak of their popularity in recent years. A proper horror-themed RPG would have the same chance of succecc of any other non-fantasy RPG these days.

In short, the only reason because you are convinced that a RPG where you become weaker over time can't work is because you haven't played any. And you haven't played any because a couple of very old P&P systems influenced almost all the videogames that market themselves as RPG.
For this false again I notice you cant even offer at least even an unmemorable example.

These, should tell it all about the validity of my facts and my points.

Dr Schultz

Augur
We wont argue about the WHY, we only tell you the facts.

Fact is: NOBODY like playing a character growing weaker over time. At least, nobody in enough number to even worth the effort of making a mod , let alone a full game. A game with that feature? it would have get modded out or patched out in no time flat..

False.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinner:_Sacrifice_for_Redemption
Sadly, fwhat a shining, stellar examples of a game fall flat on its face and nobody remember what it is.
2nd Fact: Chulthu is a niche genre. You make a chulthu-esqe (or Lovecraftian) game and maybe, maybe a small number of gamers will buy your game. Guarantee to get your effort thrown out of window and your company broken.

False again.
I'm not surprised that in this forum very few users have noticed that, but horror games reached the peak of their popularity in recent years. A proper horror-themed RPG would have the same chance of succecc of any other non-fantasy RPG these days.

For this false again I notice you cant even offer at least even an unmemorable example.

These, should tell it all about the validity of my facts and my points.

1- The most appreciated feature by pretty much all the reviewers of Sinner: Sacrifice for Redempion is incidentally the future that according to your "facts" can't work :D.
2- I can give you a shitload of examples: Ageing mechanics, madness/sanity mechanics, corruption mechanics, permanent injuries, and so on... All taken from successful P&P systems. Point is: you don't know these systems, so your "facts" would remain true in your mind despite they are obviously false.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
1. The point is not that what the game does, the point is, it's a solitary game of very lesser fame. Like nobody know about it.
2. Again, no example at all. I dont give a shit about PnP features or systems. We are talking about electronic games and you cant offer much of an example~

Dr Schultz

Augur
1. The point is not that what the game does, the point is, it's a solitary game of very lesser fame. Like nobody know about it.
2. Again, no example at all. I dont give a shit about PnP features or systems. We are talking about electronic games and you cant offer much of an example~

I can't name too many videogames with weakining mechanics, because, as I told like four times already, videogame developers took two main sources of inspirations for their rulesets (D&D and GURPS) and stuck with them for 40 years.

Anyhow, if you REALLY need a successful videogame in order get why your supposed facts are just uniformed opinions: Is Darkest Dungeon successful enough?

Last edited:

Dr Schultz

Augur
To the topic, which is the weakening effect in game. Or Chulthu/Lovecraftian.

So, does Darkest Dungeon use weakening effect? Or use the Chulthu/Lovecraftian setting?

Yes, in Darkest Dungeon characters may (and inevitably will) gain negative quirks that weaken them permanently. There are also semi-permanet afflictions in the game, that can be cured at a cost but have a chance of causing the aforementioned quirks.

Considering the game sold over 2 million copies, already spawned a couple of clones and has a sequel in devolpment, I'd say that your facts aren't particular factuals. They are more akin to assupumpions based on your personal experience/preference.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I will take your assessment under advisement. I dont care enough about Darkest Dungeon after what's been talked around here, which is not very much. So i dont play it and dont know about its features, as well as dont care enough to bother read some analys about that game.

The facts, still, are that there's a decidedly lack of Chulthu/Lovecraft setting game, with maybe two tittles under three/four decades of game development, thousands of tittles in English and Japanese. And both are still can be considered a lesser known game. Darkest Dungeon? Sinner? Feh.

The facts, still, are that weakening mechanism is a decidedly universal hated feature in game. You think you are the first guy ever loudmouth about that feature? There's guys before you and there will be more after you. They will not be able to convince players to play mods with that. Want to prove otherwise? You can try convince modders to do something of that feature in Fallout 2 with radiation/hunger mechanism, or NWN2 Mask of Betrayer with the hunger mechanism (but increase its bad effect).

Dr Schultz

Augur
I will take your assessment under advisement. I dont care enough about Darkest Dungeon after what's been talked around here, which is not very much. So i dont play it and dont know about its features, as well as dont care enough to bother read some analys about that game.

The facts, still, are that there's a decidedly lack of Chulthu/Lovecraft setting game, with maybe two tittles under three/four decades of game development, thousands of tittles in English and Japanese. And both are still can be considered a lesser known game. Darkest Dungeon? Sinner? Feh.
I don't need to convince anyone. I've already told you that there are both successful videogames and successful P&P systems out there with weakening mechanics in place. You are simply unaware of that.

THESE are the facts. The rest are uniformed assumptions...

The facts, still, are that weakening mechanism is a decidedly universal hated feature in game. You think you are the first guy ever loudmouth about that feature? There's guys before you and there will be more after you. They will not be able to convince players to play mods with that. Want to prove otherwise? You can try convince modders to do something of that feature in Fallout 2 with radiation/hunger mechanism, or NWN2 Mask of Betrayer with the hunger mechanism (but increase its bad effect).

Throwing random features at games that don't need them is plain stupid. It doesn't prove that a feature can't work. It simply proves that someone is a bad game designer.
This is not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about games that aren't built around the usual power fantasy we are used to and THEREFORE present players with features that support this alternative fantasy.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
So, does Darkest Dungeon use weakening effect? Or use the Chulthu/Lovecraftian setting?

I mean, the literal setting? No. But a shameless ripoff that imitates so obviously that it's essentially the same thing? Totally, that's for sure. DD tries to be lovecraftian in everything but the name.

Dr Schultz

Augur

I mean, the literal setting? No. But a shameless ripoff that imitates so obviously that it's essentially the same thing? Totally, that's for sure. DD tries to be lovecraftian in everything but the name.

I'd say it succeeded in being lovecraftian more the any other game on the market. Not for the story or the art style: For the actual mechanics

PS: To avoid misunderstandings... I'm not a fan of Darkest Dungeons. Similarly to Battle Brothers, I find it too repetitive and too RNG dependent for my taste, but similarly to Battle Brothers it has a few damn good design ideas that are both well implemented and fresh for the videogame environment (less fresh compared to the tabletop environment but this is kind of a given).

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont mind shameless ripoff but I do mind badly made.

I mean, every sequel is just a ripoff from their prequels, innit? The fact that they are made by same people is neither here or there, if you are speaking about originality.

And if sequel is good, we say it's good. if it's bad, we say it's a disaster.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom