Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Cyberpunk 2077 PlayStation Gameplay Footage

Melcar

Arcane
Well that was unsurprisingly lame.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game will be so crushingly, profoundly, insufferably acceptable.

It's CDPR so everyone will expect their minds to be blown again but instead we'll get just another Deux Ex, only on a gigantic dose of budget steroids.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
kHeOxN8.jpg

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
instead we'll get just another Deux Ex
You're saying that like its a bad thing. But we know the game isn't entirely like Deus Ex the combat is nothing like Deus Ex's and previewers have stated it feels spongey.
But you are correct in that the game plays it safe and unfortunately will be praised for that. It's a shame because there was a lot of potential that we're seeing squandered by your usual AAA design philosophy.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
It's a shame because there was a lot of potential that we're seeing squandered by your usual AAA design philosophy

Tbh there was more potential in Fallout 76 than this and I'm not being sarcastic. C2077 was commercialized as a HC CRPG and apparently it's not. It's just us that we were not informed until recently. So realistically the game never had any potential. I think it's going to be good for what it is and that's it. No more, no less.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
'Now please report to room number two.'

The level designer clearly thought this through because even if the player has no line of sight on door 2, they cannot miss the door directly in front of them as they enter the building, which is marked with a 1. This implies there are more doors with room numbers around the corner. Also, each number is coloured in bright orange to stand out from the dingy surroundings. I'm hoping this means it's possible to turn off the annoying mini-maps/HUD markers and navigate the world of Cyberpunk 2077 by environmental cues, but the realist in me doubts it.

Hope player can let Jackie die, cause if that mofo keeps driving player around with his shitty hip-hop on all the time- i am out.

Game looks interesting, but dialogue options are looking dissapointing, there are 2-3 at best per scene- witcher 3 style. Main character seems to be locked into the cocky kiddo mode based on his voice acting, hurts Roleplay a lot.

It's CDPR so everyone will expect their minds to be blown again but instead we'll get just another Deux Ex, only on a gigantic dose of budget steroids.
This reads like you tried to insult the game, but rolled 2 on dice check.

jac8awol

Arbiter

This reads like you tried to insult the game, but rolled 2 on dice check.

He's completely correct though. The game will be rated as overwhelmingly positive from the moment of its release, and I'm sure it will be a masterful FPS. However, the people who should be the core audience will probably be disappointed with another mainstream, streamlined action game.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
that chase scene is the reason rockstar had this highly aggressive snap on autoaim thing going on since gta 4. just horrible. weren't these new gyro controls supposed to level the playing field between mouse and analog? does cyberpunk not support that? was i lied to by "coping console keks"?

laclongquan

Arcane
Seriously, if they want to keep the exotic angle by going with Mexican slangs and accents, they should have gone with a Mexican/Spanish female figure. Some gals look like Jennifer Lopez, or Hale Berry.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously, if they want to keep the exotic angle by going with Mexican slangs and accents, they should have gone with a Mexican/Spanish female figure. Some gals look like Jennifer Lopez, or Hale Berry.
No man, losing Calisca already weighs heavily on my heart. My simping soul couldn't withstand another loss of such magnitude (j/k)

Hope player can let Jackie die, cause if that mofo keeps driving player around with his shitty hip-hop on all the time- i am out.

Game looks interesting, but dialogue options are looking dissapointing, there are 2-3 at best per scene- witcher 3 style. Main character seems to be locked into the cocky kiddo mode based on his voice acting, hurts Roleplay a lot.
I'm hoping the cocky kiddo tone evolves as he gets paired with Johnny and learns what's what in the world.

Curratum

I've watched pretty much all gameplay vids of CP2077 and the writing in that game makes modern Deus Ex writing look like it was penned by fucking Dostoevski.

Dr Schultz

Augur
You're saying that like its a bad thing. But we know the game isn't entirely like Deus Ex the combat is nothing like Deus Ex's and previewers have stated it feels spongey.
But you are correct in that the game plays it safe and unfortunately will be praised for that. It's a shame because there was a lot of potential that we're seeing squandered by your usual AAA design philosophy.

Deus Ex is among my favorite games of all time/platforms/genres, but in my book "the combat is nothing like Dues Ex's" is a gigantic pro for CP 2077.

I count the aiming system of the first Deus Ex among the worst design ideas ever conceived for an action RPG. And I mean EVER: In order to squeeze some stats into a real time first person combat they gave JC the aiming ability of an 80 yo geezer affected by Parkinson's Disease. Not exactly the best way to sell the fantasy of being a badass nano-augmented super agent.
Spongy enemies, in comparison, are a blessing.

What I'm pretty sure that will be inferior to Deus Ex is the level design of the main mission areas. And this is because the only team still around that proved to be better than Ion Storm in these regards is Arkane (especially with Dishonored 2). I don't trust CDP to be half as competent.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Tbh there was more potential in Fallout 76 than this and I'm not being sarcastic.

Every Fallout made by Bethesda is an aberration. Fallout 3 was not enough for you? The only sense in which Fallout 76 had potential is in the sense that it, by definition, would be so horrendously bad that any little progress that existed in it would be an impressive improvement. But even if going from 0.5 to 2 is undoubtedly progress, if it's anything coming from the CDPR you expected them to start at least in a 3 or 4, which by definition would be immensely better.

I mean, it will be better. No doubt, there's no way it'll be worse than Fallout 76. But that's not exactly a very high bar to use as a reference for any game.

Gargaune

Magister
Deus Ex is among my favorite games of all time/platforms/genres, but in my book "the combat is nothing like Dues Ex's" is a gigantic pro for CP 2077.

I count the aiming system of the first Deus Ex among the worst design ideas ever conceived for an action RPG. And I mean EVER: In order to squeeze some stats into a real time first person combat they gave JC the aiming ability of an 80 yo geezer affected by Parkinson's Disease. Not exactly the best way to sell the fantasy of being a badass nano-augmented super agent.
Disagree entirely. The values might've used better balancing, okay, but the system concept was absolutely the right fit for an FPS/RPG hybrid, you've got meaningful interplay between the character stats and the player's skills and it makes sense, contextually, that your training is reflected in your ability to handle a weapon. Contrast this with the likes of Fallout 4 and its magic bullets that make bigger holes as your skills go up.

Now, I'm not saying DX's shooting was good, it was choppy and needed a lot more iteration, but the core concept was spot-on. Deus Ex 4 also recycles the original idea (albeit with "skill" augs in its streamlined stat system) but with less dramatic variance.

Drowed

Arcane
Now, I'm not saying DX's shooting was good, it was choppy and needed a lot more iteration, but the core concept was spot-on. Deus Ex 4 also recycles the original idea (albeit with "skill" augs in its streamlined stat system) but with less dramatic variance.

The concept itself is not that terrible per se, although the result in gameplay isn't the best. The problem is the setting, as he said. You can't get to the player and say that he is a highly trained and competent elite agent, responsible for the most difficult and risky missions in the world, when he can't hit a watermelon 5 meters in front of him. Either your character already starts at a high level of competence in shooting and gains other skills that make you even more lethal in the course of the game (and this is undoubtedly my vote), or you need to start with a recruit in-training and somehow justify all his involvement in the plot.

That said, even though I recognize that an attribute-dependent targeting system makes perfect sense from an RPG point of view (and your character's influence on your game skills), without exception, all these systems play like shit. All the games that used such systems that were fun and interesting, were like that not because of it, but despite it. Honestly, this is an RPG element concession that I would easily abandon in any game with shooting gameplay. It just feels terrible.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Shooting is unique in that outside of like hard core snipey shit anyone can do it vs fantasy combat which is way more involved if you want to make it realistic. Tabletop systems don't make sense for shooty stuff. Often they lack logic for fantasy as well but its a big difference vs shooty crap.

Dr Schultz

Augur

Spongy enemies, in comparison, are a blessing.

What I'm pretty sure that will be inferior to Deus Ex is the level design of the main mission areas. And this is because the only team still around that proved to be better than Ion Storm in these regards is Arkane (especially with Dishonored 2). I don't trust CDP to be half as competent.

Disagree entirely. The values might've used better balancing, okay, but the system concept was absolutely the right fit for an FPS/RPG hybrid, you've got meaningful interplay between the character stats and the player's skills and it makes sense, contextually, that your training is reflected in your ability to handle a weapon. Contrast this with the likes of Fallout 4 and its magic bullets that make bigger holes as your skills go up.

And I entirely disagree in turn, conceptually and in practice.

- Conceptually because the idea that a character system must necessarily be a "zero to hero“ framework is wrong. A character system must reflect the narrative of the game, or at least its themes. In Deus Ex you are supposed to be a nano augmented badass from the get go, not only an improvement compared to a normal human being, but also to a previous generation of augmented super agents. In reality, though, the game makes you shoot worse than my grandpa. Narrative and character system are totally disjointed.

— In practice I disagree because the shooting in Deus Ex simply isn't fun, not even compared to the first Wolfenstain, leave alone the FPS of its era(Half-life) or the current Era (Doom). If you compare Deus Ex to a modern looter-shooter like Borderline or Destiny, you get why spongy enemies are the lesser evil here. And don't get me wrong, I don't like at all this kind of games because of their grindy naturure, but their shooting mechanics are undoubtedly funnier than Deus ex's.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
but their shooting mechanics are undoubtedly funnier than Deus ex's.
Use a laser mod on a gun in Deus Ex and you'd disagree with that statement. It removes the skill limitations on your shooting accuracy which means dispatching enemies in rapid succession. Its the equivalent of having the gun maxed out on skills and on accuracy mods.
The system is flawed and made redundant so whilst I agree not a good system there is proof of concept in Deus Ex anyway which shows what it could have been if they had removed it and focused more on speed. From my experience it makes the game very fun and fast paced yet most people miss it because they don't find the laser or use it too early on a weapon that won't last the entire game. (Recommend putting it on the Pistol and Assault Rifle then you can run and gun most of the game and even put silencers on both).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom