Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Loostreaks

Learned
Allegedly they rebooted it at some point and now it features only one pre-defined character (like Geralt).

There was no information on this ( aside from Ytube clickbaits). Only credible, direct information came from Pondsmith stating they're using the same ( or very similar) character progression/role system they came up with very early in development ( before Witcher III was even in real production).

Zer0wing

Cipher
Does CD project red have its own conference or something? Or where would they show this game? Sony press conference?
No. And no, I don't think they'll show up at Sony press conference, probably Microsoft, like the last time with Twitcher 3.

It will be similar to Oblivion character generation. Remember those sliders? The more you use them, the uglier the character becomes.

Well in Cyberpunk, you move the slider left, and the character suddenly gets a long white ponytail. You pull the slider back right, 2 swords appear...

Latelistener

Arcane
Only credible, direct information came from Pondsmith
CDProjekt (or anyone affiliated with it) and credible in one sentence. Oh boy...

e9fYsYI.png

Last edited:

KK1001

Arbiter
I think developers have actually stopped pushing the boundaries on PC games and instead just generally leave shit unoptimized and act like because the game is "new" that it won't run well on all but the strongest computers.

Keppo

Arbiter
Consoles fucked them, or lack of them and their specs at that time, and showing game to early too. Hopefully they learned from that mistake, Cyberpunk is prolly no more than year from release, and is probably already running on consoles. Also some things were improved in later builds mostly character models are vastly superior, animations also, and HDR rendering, which 2013 version lacks.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I think developers have actually stopped pushing the boundaries on PC games and instead just generally leave shit unoptimized and act like because the game is "new" that it won't run well on all but the strongest computers.
I saw the George Carlin of Computer Architecture & Engineering, Yale Patt, give an interesting talk about five years ago. One of the things he discussed is "What are we doing with advances in computing power?". His answer? Enabling worse, less efficient, more abstract coding languages, methods and implementations - in a lot of instances. Abstraction is all the computer science wizardry that lets the bare metal and silicon in your computer execute a program written in java (and proceed to infect your computer with bulgarian malware). In Patt's view, the focus in modern undergrad CS classes had shifted so much to making programming accessible, that it pushed language developers to make more and more abstract languages that didn't require an understanding of the fundamental operation of a computer to write in. Programmers can write in a self-contained logical manner, compile for x86 / ARM / *NIX / etc and be done. This makes coding more approachable for people because it requires less mastery in multiple fields - you don't need to understand semiconductor architecture and electrical engineering at all for most of the popular languages used today. But it comes at a price. Abstraction is computationally inefficient, because rather than your coders writing for the hardware that something will execute on, they're letting software interpreters do all the heavy lifting.

From there, the analogy to Unity writes itself.

TLDR We're all driving chevy 454s, but we left our studded tires on and put scoops on our hoods.

Latelistener

Arcane
Consoles fucked them, or lack of them and their specs at that time, and showing game to early too. Hopefully they learned from that mistake
Sure, a company like CDP could have never expected that consoles will cost somewhere between 300 and 600 bucks and won't be as good as high-end PCs.

giphy.gif

I'm just surprised people believe that shit.

But anyway, 9 months before the release they made this video:

And what do you think? The release version looks even worse than that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I saw the George Carlin of Computer Architecture & Engineering, Yale Patt, give an interesting talk about five years ago. One of the things he discussed is "What are we doing with advances in computing power?". His answer? Enabling worse, less efficient, more abstract coding languages, methods and implementations - in a lot of instances. Abstraction is all the computer science wizardry that lets the bare metal and silicon in your computer execute a program written in java (and proceed to infect your computer with bulgarian malware). In Patt's view, the focus in modern undergrad CS classes had shifted so much to making programming accessible, that it pushed language developers to make more and more abstract languages that didn't require an understanding of the fundamental operation of a computer to write in. Programmers can write in a self-contained logical manner, compile for x86 / ARM / *NIX / etc and be done. This makes coding more approachable for people because it requires less mastery in multiple fields - you don't need to understand semiconductor architecture and electrical engineering at all for most of the popular languages used today. But it comes at a price. Abstraction is computationally inefficient, because rather than your coders writing for the hardware that something will execute on, they're letting software interpreters do all the heavy lifting.

From there, the analogy to Unity writes itself.

TLDR We're all driving chevy 454s, but we left our studded tires on and put scoops on our hoods.
It's not difficult to register this trend, but does he go on to explain why it exists?

The huge demand for software engineers on the labor market. Caused by a huge demand by end-consumers for all kinds of appliances that entertain them through simulated reality (be that games, VR, AR, high fidelity video), or simply absolve them from the need to organize, categorize, and keep an account of real world objects.

With a huge demand for programmers, combined with the democratization of programming through open source and widely available learning tools, everyone is becoming a programmer to some degree. We can expect future generations within our lifetime to be taught obligatory school classes in coding skills.

Is this trend subject to change? I'd imagine only once the computers start writing the code for us.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's not difficult to register this trend, but does he go on to explain why it exists?

The snippet I mentioned was just an aside in a broader conversation about transistor count and cache size increases, and how that extra computing power is being used as a whole. The audience was mostly undergrads, a few graduate students (such as me and some of my friends), and faculty - and as such, he was really encouraging the undergrads to take electives that would better educate themselves on hardware architecture. It's pretty obvious as to the "why", his point was more that 1) we're not seeing the benefits of improving computing power as much as one would expect based on transistor count and cache size and 2) if you care about this, do something about it and take electives to become better educated.

I'm not a CS/ECE guy, I attended the talk because I'm a lifetime computer hardware hobbyist. I got lucky in that Patt has a really engaging speaking style, dry whit, and kinda looks like George Carlin.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

The snippet I mentioned was just an aside in a broader conversation about transistor count and cache size increases, and how that extra computing power is being used as a whole. The audience was mostly undergrads, a few graduate students (such as me and some of my friends), and faculty - and as such, he was really encouraging the undergrads to take electives that would better educate themselves on hardware architecture. It's pretty obvious as to the "why", his point was more that 1) we're not seeing the benefits of improving computing power as much as one would expect based on transistor count and cache size and 2) if you care about this, do something about it and take electives to become better educated.

I'm not a CS/ECE guy, I attended the talk because I'm a lifetime computer hardware hobbyist. I got lucky in that Patt has a really engaging speaking style, dry whit, and kinda looks like George Carlin.

Wasn't Vulkan made to alleviate this problem?

agris

Arcane
Patron

I've read almost nothing about Vulkan, but it isn't for lack of interest. If you're curious about this, I recommend looking at www.anandtech.com. If there's an interesting deep dive on Vulkan, which I'm sure there is, post it! I've also found very good and technical writeups on HardOCP and overclock.net.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm glad I'm someone incapable of registering disappointment with The Witcher 3's graphics. Cyberpunk 2077 could literally show absolutely zero improvement and require the same specs and I would be just fine with it.

Allyriadil

Educated

Vulkan is one of the few solutions, the main problem still though is the inefficient programming languages that are used nowadays.
Such as C#, Python or whatever scripting language they use for the game engine. Unity is one of the worst, they designed their own version of C# for the engine that is even worse.
This all like said before to make programmming "easier" for the masses, but the programs they make will be slow and inefficient because the lack of low level knowledge.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Vulkan is one of the few solutions, the main problem still though is the inefficient programming languages that are used nowadays.
Such as C#, Python or whatever scripting language they use for the game engine. Unity is one of the worst, they designed their own version of C# for the engine that is even worse.
This all like said before to make programmming "easier" for the masses, but the programs they make will be slow and inefficient because the lack of low level knowledge.
Witcher 3 and Witcher 2 are written in C++. No way to write an efficient 3D engine in something like C#.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

I've read almost nothing about Vulkan, but it isn't for lack of interest. If you're curious about this, I recommend looking at www.anandtech.com. If there's an interesting deep dive on Vulkan, which I'm sure there is, post it! I've also found very good and technical writeups on HardOCP and overclock.net.

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm glad I'm someone incapable of registering disappointment with The Witcher 3's graphics. Cyberpunk 2077 could literally show absolutely zero improvement and require the same specs and I would be just fine with it.
The drama surrounding Witcher 3 was never about visual fidelity (or it was, but only partially).
It was about bait-and-switch and the fact the "holy" CDP lied through their teeth.
They never released REDkit for W3 either.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The drama surrounding Witcher 3 was never about visual fidelity (or it was, but only partially).
It was about bait-and-switch and the fact the "holy" CDP lied through their teeth.
They never released REDkit for W3 either.

That mainstream success cocaine will change any man.

Quillon

Arcane
Tonight Borys-Pugacz will end the premiere video by saying "...and re-re-define the RPG!"

So get ready to have

:updatedmytxt:

I don't wanna see clueless fucks tomorrow who doesn't know what the current RPG is. Its a brave new world.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Yeah, it will be so revolutionary, that with the release of CP2077, the rpg development will turn 360°.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom