Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
TW3 felt like a busy work simulator, way too high a density of same-y quests combined with loot fever, item durability, crafting, rune slots and alchemy.
In other words it felt like a single player MMO

Has CDPR talked at all about contrasts between TW3 and CP, and where they are or are not copying TW3 gameplay elements?

Not sure but I'm expecting a bullet spongy The Division / GTA with lite RPG elements

Zer0wing

Cipher
did he made any comments on twitter where there was a nano-hint that he's not woke enough?

Marcin Przybyłowicz did. In short, he googled up that Perturbator and synthwave in general is worshipped by 1980s nostalgia fags and gone full "fuck off, we're full".

Darkzone

Arcane
did he made any comments on twitter where there was a nano-hint that he's not woke enough?

Marcin Przybyłowicz did. In short, he googled up that Perturbator and synthwave in general is worshipped by 1980s nostalgia fags and gone full "fuck off, we're full".

Because he thinks that their Cyberpunk is more down to earth instead of being philosophical they have chosen musical theme from the 90s instead the 80s. So in short: Instead of the thoughtful and rebelious 80s, let's take the hollow and self-indulgent 90s.
Yeah what a good choice. Guess we are lucky that he has forgotten the Eurodance and Disco Polo thing.

Awesome. Anyone that thinks Cyberpunk = neon lights, eternal darkness and Carpenter Brut can fuck off
Cyberpunk is punk and film noir. And guess what are the prevalent motives of the neo noir films? And why? Which films and genre has inspired the french artists like Carpenter Brut?

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Watch out. We got an old ass over here.
Synthwave goes back to Vangelis, Carpenter, Jean-Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dreams and Kraftwerk. In the late 70s - early 80s this synthesizer music was picked up and formed to the New Wave's synth-pop sub genre with bands Like Alphaville, Adam and the Ants, Human League and etc. And yes this is also the roots of Apoptygma Berzerk (besides the EBM part) therefore there is quite a intersection. But Carpenter Brut reference their inspiration in their name as a homage. While Apoptygma Berzerk desecrates my youth with their shitty covers of great hits like Schilling's "Major Tom ( Coming Home )" (the german version is better), "Cambodia" and "Fade to Black", that nobody asked for! So yes fuck off with Apoptygma Berzerk.

There never was no "synthwave" back then, it's a 2010s term. Using Vangelis and Tangerine Dream in the same sentence is heresy.

ADL

Prophet
Awesome. Anyone that thinks Cyberpunk = neon lights, eternal darkness and Carpenter Brut can fuck off
Cyberpunk is punk and film noir. And guess what are the prevalent motives of the neo noir films? And why? Which films and genre has inspired the french artists like Carpenter Brut?
Not saying it wouldn't fit but goddamn at this point I think you could put a Cyberpunk 2077 sticker on a DVD copy of Ready Player One and the majority of people who bitch about 2077 would be happy jerking their dicks over the 1980s nostalgia. The people who believe Cyberpunk has to have synthwave music, eternal night and neon lights to qualify as cyberpunk are creatively bankrupt and I'm glad they're not the ones in charge of designing the next Cyberpunk rulebook / video games.

much-better_o_7233734.jpg

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The people who believe Cyberpunk has to have synthwave music, eternal night and neon lights to qualify as cyberpunk are creatively bankrupt and I'm glad they're not the ones in charge of designing the next Cyberpunk rulebook / video games.

While these faggots rant about people's preposterous! expectations, the creatively bankrupt Mike Pondsmith stays faithful to the noir visual style and is taking it up to 11 in the "neon lights" department by now embracing the "neon lights tramp stamps".
Thank God CDProjekt is full of progressive vegan people that hate synth-wave but love day-night cycles. :)

CPRedJSKBox2200px_cropped.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
It's not often that you find a game that has truly bad music, as opposed to bland one, but I get the feeling this might be one of them.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The people who believe neon lights und synthwave is bad and 1980s (thirty years out of touch with modern culture any of which I personally wouldn't touch even with 2 meter tall stick) out of taste m'kay will get heart attack once they visit any of China's industrial districts or actual Hong-Kong, or actual south korea. It's the worst of their nightmare about cyberpunk (just in general, not talking about THE Cyberpunk with capital C) cliches coming true. And it is glorious! Based honkhonkgese, based chin'-chongs, based Xi Jinpin.

Outside of style question, leaving Perturbator out of the inner circle of composers for CP2077 is retarded either way. This guy's spectrum goes far beyond meme synthwave, from ambient soundscapes to death metal.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
There never was no "synthwave" back then, it's a 2010s term. Using Vangelis and Tangerine Dream in the same sentence is heresy.
Yes the term is new, but the roots are not. Synthwave is just an umbrala (catch all) term for music that is influenced and based (like the fusion with French House) upon the 80s Syntesizer and Film music like that of Vangelis, Carpenter, Faltermeyer, Jan Hammer or etc.
Heresy? The greeks will disagree with you. But i will only state that: Vangelis was and is more known in the broader audience. But it may change due to Stranger Things. I liked Vangelis also in this group:

Not saying it wouldn't fit but goddamn at this point I think you could put a Cyberpunk 2077 sticker on a DVD copy of Ready Player One and the majority of people who bitch about 2077 would be happy jerking their dicks over the 1980s nostalgia. The people who believe Cyberpunk has to have synthwave music, eternal night and neon lights to qualify as cyberpunk are creatively bankrupt and I'm glad they're not the ones in charge of designing the next Cyberpunk rulebook / video games.
Some jerk off because this was their best time in live. But some also because in the 80s the books, comics, music and films were better. Now we have just Superhero movies and feminism-transgender shit. So yes give me the pseudo 80s and fuck off with this degenerates.
General theme music should be synthwave alone due to the fact of Blade Runner (paying their dues), but i think that Smooth Jazz, Metal (Industrial, Electrocore), Stoner Rock and Punk Radio stations are not bad ideas.

Semiurge

Cipher
Heresy? The greeks will disagree with you. But i will only state that: Vangelis was and is more known in the broader audience. But it may change due to Stranger Things. I liked Vangelis also in this group:

I've nothing against Vangelis but forgot to write "in the same sentence with synthwave." I'm getting old and out of touch, but I cant' help but to notice that everything in synthwave has been done long before these synthwave artists were even born. Hell, I'm older than this Perturbator. But not so out of touch that I'd think they could just use the oldskool stuff like in the movies, having modern day artists featured will anchor this vidya to the present and the present day vision of the future, and that's what CD Projekt wants.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The people who believe Cyberpunk has to have synthwave music, eternal night and neon lights to qualify as cyberpunk are creatively bankrupt

We already had this discussion in the first pages.
The problem is the tone, the artstyle, the atmosphere, which this game completely fails.

I mean look at this shit:

If not for the gadgets and the sleeker architecture and this could've very well passed off as GTA5 screenshots.
There's nothing here that gives that cyberpunk vibe.

Compare it to something like this:

And it's a night and day difference.

RepHope

Savant
That shit you posted looks generic and boring as fuck. Are you guys still shitting yourselves over the presence of sunlight?
rLh7Dh7EKo8F6zmDtXYp8W.jpg

nETpEt2BQ6eWwPndueR6hS.jpg

3398668-cyberpunk2077-e3thumb-37.jpg

If the worst you can say is that it reminds you of GTA, you’re retarded. There’s areas that will fulfill your Blade Runner boner and others that will look like California.

RepHope

Savant
Jesus we need that Night City Wire, same old retarded complaints about Muh looks. Least once we get another good look at the gameplay we can make fun of that since CDPR usually shits itself trying to make it pass muster.

typical user

Arbiter
C'mon Cyberpunk 2077 is based on real world with y'know cyberpunk added on top of it. It's Pondsmith vision, not everything has to have wires dangling everywhere and eternal night or mist thicker than entire vape-nation. Carpenter Brut or Peturbator are good to listen but do not mix well with this game IMO. Their music has different feel, not "punk" enough for this game. They do synthwave yes but for example Gunship would be better in it. I think CDP Red choice is neither bad or good, they have their own composers and list of ideas that hired talent has to follow so whether CP2077 has good music score or not, we will have to wait and hear once the game drops. No sense acting like a elitist because you listen to people who participated in creating Hotline Miami soundtrack.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Based on the second gameplay trailer, it looks like generic guns, but with off the wall upgrades.

80s Stallone

Arcane
what a weird discussion. Synthwave and retro 80s is so worn out right now. On the other hand, calling a game or whatever "Cyberpunk" is also dumb and will conjure expectations. I mena, what is next, a game called "Space Opera 2239" or "High Fantasy -4310".

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Are you guys still shitting yourselves over the presence of sunlight?

What can't you read?
I made it quite clear the problem isn't sunlight but the enitre tone which is inconsistent with what the setting represents and it's themes.

How is it supposed to be a fucking dystopia when everything is so colorful, clean and vibrant?
Even on the pics you posted that shit still looks like GTA5 with cool gadgets and augs.

Max Headroom, the only worthwhile cyberpunk television series ever created

Yeah, GitS: Stand Alone Complex exists so no...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom