Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Bara

Arcane
If you’d like your character to follow their own path, you may ignore your Ability Score Increase trait and assign ability score increases tailored to your character.
why are they so intent on killing this game
did Gygax harm them in some way?

This killing 5e seems a bit strong for this. Diminishing 5e I'd more agree with.

Plus Gygax never really recognized 3.5 and up as his D&D never begrudged those who enjoyed playing it but to him it wasn't D&D a different game. So while it'll be stuck as a niche forever the original editions remain immortal.

Especially with all the copies that remain in circulation pdf and print wise.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you’d like your character to follow their own path, you may ignore your Ability Score Increase trait and assign ability score increases tailored to your character.
why are they so intent on killing this game
did Gygax harm them in some way?

This killing 5e seems a bit strong for this. Diminishing 5e I'd more agree with.

Plus Gygax never really recognized 3.5 and up as his D&D never begrudged those who enjoyed playing it but to him it wasn't D&D a different game. So while it'll be stuck as a niche forever the original editions remain immortal.

Especially with all the copies that remain in circulation pdf and print wise.
Killing in the sense that they seem intent on killing any sort of creativity or uniqueness the game has in favor of "play however you want" streamlined bullshit.
Races being separate and having unique bonuses is fun and interesting.

Gyor

Savant
It's also a real knee jerk solution to what was considered a problem.

So much so they've actually banned Yuan-ti from adventure league and this is most likely why. They're only disadvantage is now easily dealt with thus making them the best choice.

Technically they've decreased both mechanical and racial diversity now.

Still though it's billed as a optional rule so the easiest thing to do is just say you're running only core books and disallowing other material. Or just ban the option as DM.

Like if they were really going full hog with this they'd probably start reprinting this new rule addition in the core book. They also try to play off what's in the core book as simple archetypes and nothing problematic. Which they never were of course.

Apparently the rules released for AL are only for Season 10, not for Seasons 1-9 or future seasons. In season 10 you can pick from the listed race options without it counting as your +1. The real cause of this hot mess is the PHB +1 rule, TCoE might have just made it slightly worse. Fuck AL and silly unnecessary rules. I assume we will get the normal rules. So Yuan Ti aren't banned, they just aren't partially exempt from PHB +1.

Gyor

Savant
More D&D settings coming, including 3 classic settings that they are currently working on.

https://youtu.be/amw5rLAjqi8

Personally I really only cared about the final panel of this video, it's the most important panel because it's about the future of D&D including future products so it's even more important then the Frostmaiden/Tasha Panel.

Okay so the 5 big things is they have new product categories coming including Anthologies which they will use to nurture DMSGUILD talent for their freelancer pool, more settings (including 3 classic settings being worked on right now), more experimental stuff doing things adventures haven't done before, more products for casual players, and finally more, D&D MtG collaborations.

So for the 3 classic settings the first two seem obvious. The Forgotten Realms will FINALLY get a proper Campaign Setting Guide to tie into D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG card set, we've already tasted the two Ravenloft subclasses (although I still think Ravenloft will share a book with Innistrad, it's just too much consequences given that MtG is getting two Innistrad sets next year right after the Forgotten Realms set).

The third Set is the mystery, it or Ravenloft/Innistrad could come out in early 2022.

I'm hoping the 3rd one is Planescape to help deal with the Cosmology changes of merging MtG and D&D Settings together.

Plus I still think Zendikar could get a full Campaign Setting book early next year, as MtG designated D&D inspired setting.

I also think to achieve their goals the amount of products released yearly will need to increase. Firstly they want to pull more talent/writers in to their talent freelancer pool,, and that only works if there are more products to work on, otherwise that is a very increasingly thin gruel for everyone if there are more writers, but not more things to write.

Secondly they have clearly more ambitious goals now because of how D&D 5e has exploded in success. This us likely why Hasbro took Avalon Hill off WotC's hands, so they could focus on their core brands of D&D & MtG (DDMG) and increase productivity.

J1M

Arcane
I think merging the two settings is a terrible idea. Both from a health of the product and a business perspective. But I also think you are right and someone at WotC wants to covert D&D nerds that buy a book each year into Magic booster pack gambling junkies.

deuxhero

Arcane
The problem on the MTG side is FR is horrible for adapting to MTG's mechanics. Eberron can actually work in the color pie, has interesting factions ect..

The problem on the D&D side is there's no way to actually Planeswalk in 5E short of the high level and poorly defined Plane Shift spell.

Bara

Arcane
If they do ever really merge this will be wotc's biggest moment ever of jumping the shark. Probably stop caring about current lore entirely and just stick mostly with everything that was printed back in the TSR days.

Plus like I said before this will either kill planner travel for non-spark characters in DnD or kill what makes planeswalkers special in Mtg with the whole "only you can travel between planes!" shtick. It'll be a rare occurrence for non-spark characters to be able to shift planes as other than the eldrazzi they haven't touched on that idea in ages and have set hard laws for all other sparkless characters.

Also, Gyor I think you're way to optimistic about planescape ever coming back. Wotc is really pushing hard to distance themselves from the alignment system so much so they advised Larian to drop it for BG3 and planescape really runs with that concept hard as one of its core pillars. I mean they could neuter it out of there but then it's not planescape.

Anyhow to help narrow down the list of the old settings that are probably coming back I'm 100% sure they'll never touch the Mystara and Birthright. There is a lot of real world cultures represented in it thus ironically will probably be too "offensive" for the current day and age.

Also jakandor, ghostwalk, mahasarpa, and rokugan will defintly not but coming back as no one really talks about them with much fervor as the big one old ones. Jakandor sounds cool from what I heard though.

It would be really funny if they brought back 4e's points of light setting to see the reaction but 5e been all about desperately trying to forget 4e exists. My money on classic settings coming back is Dragonlance, Spelljammer, and a bigger FR book than just sword cost.

FR & Spelljammer I think mostly because of the whole illthid spelljammer ship being the start of BG3 and to capitalize on a video game being set in Forgotten Realms.

Dragonlance because I remember one of the vague suggestions of wotc's game development lead suggestion that he's pitching a grand stratagey game set in Dragonlance. I do recall Weiss & Hickman being in negotiations to bring back Dragonlance but wotc felt like they were asking for too much.

But yeah for better or worse I'll agree that we'll probably see a officially Zendikar splat book sooner or later by how hard they've pitched it as the "adventuring" set.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Looking at the other panels listed real quick... they really did have a pannel on inclusive dungeon design. They're really pushing the combat wheelchair in it.

I was going to ask what are they smoking but then I see that they pushed all the social equality panels to Sunday and kept it out of Friday and Saturday. So I guess they at least have the sense to kick this panels into a corner to forget about them.

It really is just "look we had these panels to show we cared!" Just only on the last day and after all the really big popular panels were done.

I wonder if any of the folks in those two panels thought about that or were just happy for any attention they could get to sell their products or services.

Last edited:

Gyor

Savant
The problem on the MTG side is FR is horrible for adapting to MTG's mechanics. Eberron can actually work in the color pie, has interesting factions ect..

The problem on the D&D side is there's no way to actually Planeswalk in 5E short of the high level and poorly defined Plane Shift spell.

That is untrue, D&D has portals, Spelljammer, Fey Crossings, Shadow Crossings, magic items, and more.

And anything that doesn't fit into the colour pie can be colourless.

Plus the factions they have been pushing fit well into the Colour Pie, Harper are blue, Lords Alliance is Red, Zhents are Black, Order of the Gaunlet is white, Emerald Enclave is Green.

Gyor

Savant
Looking at the other panels listed real quick... they really did have a pannel on inclusive dungeon design. They're really pushing the combat wheelchair in it.

I was going to ask what are they smoking but then I see that they pushed all the social equality panels to Sunday and kept it out of Friday and Saturday. So I guess they at least have the sense to kick this panels into a corner to forget about them.

It really is just "look we had these panels to show we cared!" Just only on the last day and after all the really big popular panels were done.

I wonder if any of the folks in those two panels thought about that or were just happy for any attention they could get to sell their products or services.

Actually the most important panel they saved for last on Sunday, the one about future products, that is were most of the juicy new information was release, the panels on Friday were not as imformative as I would have liked, minor details Tasha's, but it had no real news.

But that last panel on Sunday, it was juicy with all trimmings. We learned that they are going to focus even more on settings, which includes 3 classic settings they are currently working on, that more MtG D&D collabrations are occurring then just the stuff we know about, there are going to be doing new product catagories like Anthologies (recruiting heavily from DMSGUILD for these with an emphasis on mentorships with D&D staff with the goal of expanding there freelancer pool that D&D uses, with a likely unspoken goal of greater diversity), more products aimed at casual players that don't want to own the 3 core books (I'm thinking expanded starter kits that go to hirer levels), more experimental APs that do stuff that traditional D&D adventures haven't before, more none book products like accessories. And if you read between the lines of this, it means an increased pace of product release, otherwise they won't achieve their various goals.

So that is alot of info from the one panel and if you put that into the broader context of what is occurring in UA and MtG FR crossover, it can get a real sense of what they are up to.

Codex Year of the Donut
nigga just go to a cleric and have them cast heal
holy shit why are you roleplaying a disabled fucker in a setting with magical healing WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

I've fucking had it with this bullshit

J1M

Arcane
nigga just go to a cleric and have them cast heal
holy shit why are you roleplaying a disabled fucker in a setting with magical healing WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

I've fucking had it with this bullshit
If I was a disabled dangerhair I would be insulted by the combat wheelchair's insinuation that disabled dangerhairs don't have a functioning imagination.

Codex Year of the Donut
1598150005889.png

how come they don't want any stat penalties or downsides whatsoever then?

Stella Brando

Arcane
Regarding the movable race points, I'd like it they went further and let you build your whole character up from nothing. Maybe I should just play GURPS, lol.

As for the settings, the ones in D&D are too similar -- Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Critical Roland or whatever you call it, these are all dwarves and elves Tolkien-fantasy. Even Ravenloft, Shadowrun and Gel Spammer were elves and dwarves in horror/cyberpunk/weird space. I'd rather play something totally different.

I'd also like to see historical settings: prehistoric; ancient; realistic middle ages; renaissance or pirates with simple guns; victorian without steampunk; early 20th century; as well as modern and futuristic. Plus some weird topic you don't usually see.

It's time to say goodbye to those dwarves and elves. If you really need to have fantasy, make it more Robert E. Howard and less Tolkein.

I really should play GURPS. I think they cover all of this. Its a shame that noone actually plays GURPS, they just talk about it.

Oh, and bring back Dark Sun.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

The dangerhairs speaking at those panels will be updating their twitter bio to "Official WotC inclusivity expert" even if the panels are cancelled.

Gyor

Savant

The dangerhairs speaking at those panels will be updating their twitter bio to "Official WotC inclusivity expert" even if the panels are cancelled.

Probably, there is big fucking money in the diversity and inclusion industry, roughly 8 billion or more per where woke "experts" with no peer reviewed studies of their training "teach" none racists that they are racists for absurd money and getting not just getting zero positive results in increasing diversity and inclusion in the work place, that thing they were payed big bucks to achieve, but studies show often triggers less diversity and inclusion and more resentment and traumatized minorities, and an increased spread of negative racial stereotypes.

Bara

Arcane
They're really pushing the combat wheelchair in it.
I thought this was a metaphor or something
literally a fucking combat wheelchair to make it "inclusive" to disabled people(???)
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/202...taff-critical-roles-dm-but-not-all-agree.html

jesus fucking christ
"How did the DM kill your character?"

"Stairs."

:lol:

I'd have perfered death by steep incline.

Also Gyor as to your suspected list Dark sun is definitely one of the three with psionic rules in Tasha's cauldron.

They wouldn't have pushed psionics back in after the negative feedback if they weren't planning dark sun.

So my bets are now Darksun, Spelljammer, and more FR.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'd also like to see historical settings: prehistoric; ancient; realistic middle ages; renaissance or pirates with simple guns; victorian without steampunk; early 20th century; as well as modern and futuristic. Plus some weird topic you don't usually see.

It's time to say goodbye to those dwarves and elves. If you really need to have fantasy, make it more Robert E. Howard and less Tolkein.

I recommend you try primeval thule its ported to 5E, its basically conan meet cthulu. Been dming it since one year now, the adventure they made are very good, but the campaign itself will require ton of work and writing by yourself however. Think i got some sucess , once i started at 8pm , at 2am they were still there playing and forgot the time.
Also got a few ragequit cause some player wanted to play goody two shoes and heroic, those are completely unsuitable in such settings. He wanted to bring USA democracy to thule ;) . Oh god he was so wrong , he diddnt want to flee, everyone in the party told him to. So his dead body ended up being dragged around town behind a war chariot....

Bara

Arcane
My current group has a lot of players who want to be the big heroes but thankfully not to the point to forgoe personal profit and health for the sake of righteousness.

Even the cleric while kind knows to be a shrewed bastard.

deuxhero

Arcane

You do realize that's already an official D&D setting?
RPG_motrd_cover.jpg

There's a decent DM's guild port since it's technically Ravenloft material and thus legal.

Gyor

Savant
They're really pushing the combat wheelchair in it.
I thought this was a metaphor or something
literally a fucking combat wheelchair to make it "inclusive" to disabled people(???)
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/202...taff-critical-roles-dm-but-not-all-agree.html

jesus fucking christ
"How did the DM kill your character?"

"Stairs."

:lol:

I'd have perfered death by steep incline.

Also Gyor as to your suspected list Dark sun is definitely one of the three with psionic rules in Tasha's cauldron.

They wouldn't have pushed psionics back in after the negative feedback if they weren't planning dark sun.

So my bets are now Darksun, Spelljammer, and more FR.

Darksun one of the Strongest possibilities for the third setting, but it all hinges on one thing, do they have any plans on release a full class Psion. Jeremy Crawford left the door open to it, but gave nothing solid on that.

If the answer is yes, then Darksun comes, later because building another try on a psion class will take time. If they say fuck and that the Psion Sorcerer in Tasha's is good enough it makes Darksun almost certain for the third. Keep on eye on the unearthed arcana coming on.

As for Spelljammer, it's mid tier, it's not as popular as the big five, but it's likely growing, so when they start doing the tier 2 settings, I see Spelljamming being the first out.

And Ravenloft is all but confirmed already, we've seen the two Ravenloft subclasses, we know another product with Vistani is coming, and the Artifact version of the Tarokka deck is in TCoE, no doubt designed for Ravenloft, but they wanted it access outside Ravenloft too, so they release it in TCoE first. Add it up and it equals Ravenloft is one of the Setting. Heck Ravenloft isn't even one of my favourite settings so this isn't bias, it's reason based. Add in Innistrad coming autumn next year and I suspect it will be a book for both Innistrad and Ravenloft (heavy overlap in monsters and themes).

So 1 is going to be Raveloft no doubt in my mind about that, another will be a FR setting book to deal with merging with MtG and the building metaplot, and the third will be Darksun or Planescape.

The year after that you'll get the last top tier book, then the first second teir book (likely Spelljammer). Then Dragonlance and Greyhawk (legal issues may set Greyhawk back, so say having Mystara as a back up, because Mystara used to be popular once).

Who knows after that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom