Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Gyor

Savant
Also in reguards to both FR and Ravenloft both have been cause in major controversies (primarily driven by goofy woke folks), but WotC has made it clear that they want to deepen the cultures there as a result. So Vistani, Gurs, Chultans, Shou, ect... Maybe get somekind of attempt at cultural polish. So this is another reason I think they will do those two settings, but cause those are the settings being accused of cultural insensity so WotC will want to be seen fixing that. It could turn out epic or woke bullshit, it's too early to tell.

deuxhero

Arcane
One thing in Spelljammer's favor is that Baldur's Gate 3 has one of the Ilithid Spelljammers feature very prominently. (I repeat my statement that a Spelljammer based expansion, if not a full standalone campaign, would actually fit Larian's writing style)

Gyor

Savant
One thing in Spelljammer's favor is that Baldur's Gate 3 has one of the Ilithid Spelljammers feature very prominently. (I repeat my statement that a Spelljammer based expansion, if not a full standalone campaign, would actually fit Larian's writing style)

That has more to do with Swen being a huge fan of Spelljammer and the Illthid section of Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Still I do think Spelljammer is coming, just not in this set of three settings.

I feel certain its FR, Ravenloft, and either Planescape or Darksun (although there has been speculation for years that they will merge Planescape and Spelljammer settings for years, because they have added the ability to planeshift to Spelljammers which they didn't originally have plus both settings connect the other settings to each other, they are the metasetting).

Mortmal

Arcane
Also in reguards to both FR and Ravenloft both have been cause in major controversies (primarily driven by goofy woke folks), but WotC has made it clear that they want to deepen the cultures there as a result. So Vistani, Gurs, Chultans, Shou, ect... Maybe get somekind of attempt at cultural polish. So this is another reason I think they will do those two settings, but cause those are the settings being accused of cultural insensity so WotC will want to be seen fixing that. It could turn out epic or woke bullshit, it's too early to tell.

Wonder how they will explain dark sun cannibals haflings with their new diversity is our strengh no races is evil motto...And town states led by sorcerers kings, built on slavery.

Codex Year of the Donut

Wonder how they will explain dark sun cannibals haflings with their new diversity is our strengh no races is evil motto...And town states led by sorcerers kings, built on slavery.
they'll give them combat wheelchairs and criticizing them will be ableism

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I hope it is not Spelljammer. Spelljamming wheelchairs are just too silly a concept.
8260.jpg

Gyor

Savant

By saying the Halflings are conserving resources by cannibalism and there for less waste and environmentally conscious .

Codex Year of the Donut
Are there even enough 5E books to care what the abbreviations are?
When was the last time they put out a book on a topic like how to properly build cities or how to build, run, and siege castles?

Just look at this shit:
Q6VDkQd.png

Yes, that's right, there were more supplements for 4E than 5E.

And I know that's missing a lot of older supplements too.

You'd think 5E came out a year ago in comparison. Too busy worrying about fucking combat wheelchairs to properly support their game.

Mortmal

Arcane

By saying the Halflings are conserving resources by cannibalism and there for less waste and environmentally conscious .
Eco responsible halflings, i like that .

Bara

Arcane
Too busy worrying about fucking combat wheelchairs to properly support their game.

You're kinda getting really hung up about that. Just ust to be sure you do know they were just giving the combat wheelchair a spotlight? It remains third-party and completely unofical.

At least for now, 6e whenever that is will probably be a lost cause.

But yeah I do agree like in the other thread wotc been a bunch of lazy bastards and just profiting of letting people sell homebrew on dmsguild.

Mortmal

Arcane
6e will just be a 5e rebalance, tweaking the few problems ,and the content of 5E will be fully compatible.

Gyor

Savant
Are there even enough 5E books to care what the abbreviations are?
When was the last time they put out a book on a topic like how to properly build cities or how to build, run, and siege castles?

Just look at this shit:
Q6VDkQd.png

Yes, that's right, there were more supplements for 4E than 5E.

And I know that's missing a lot of older supplements too.

You'd think 5E came out a year ago in comparison. Too busy worrying about fucking combat wheelchairs to properly support their game.

Oh he'll by itself even 3e without counting 3.5e had more books then 5e. But that might change, there are hints in the inside D&D studio panel that they are going to increase the amount of D&D books they release, such as more setting, adventure anthologies, products for casual gamers, ect..., so that they can increase there pool of freelancers. I think it dawned on the new boss Ray Winnger that given the explosive growth of 5e, that releasing more products can both make money and solve problems, even if many of the new products are more targeted and niche.

Gyor

Savant
Too busy worrying about fucking combat wheelchairs to properly support their game.

You're kinda getting really hung up about that. Just ust to be sure you do know they were just giving the combat wheelchair a spotlight? It remains third-party and completely unofical.

At least for now, 6e whenever that is will probably be a lost cause.

But yeah I do agree like in the other thread wotc been a bunch of lazy bastards and just profiting of letting people sell homebrew on dmsguild.

I think the new boss (he has only been the boss for a year now), Ray Winnger is starting to crack the whip, because it sounds like they are going to increase the pace of releases in the future in the Inside the D&D Studio panel.

https://youtu.be/nnUr14aQX4w a link to just the Inside the D&D Panel without all the other crap first in the YouTube video.

Bara

Arcane
Not being made by wotc but hasbro is has partnered with Renegade and given them access to their properties and licenses so we're getting things like a Power Rangers 5e compatible rpg.

"Renegade Game Studios Expands Partnership with Hasbro with G.I Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony"

So long as wotc dosen't bring this into their official products fine. I don't want to see Transformers adventuring in Eberron in official lore/campaigns. Though having black border cards based on the walking dead added to MTG I'm pretty sure they'll do it one day.

I feel like I'm beating a deadhorse here by saying it so often but thank god for TSR era and OSR products. They will carry me through this dark future of where ever popular franchise will try to cash in on the fifth edition rules.

This really is 2.0 of the 3.5 period where everyone was converting their products to use the rules available to the OGL and cash in.

Though the OGL blessed us with OSRIC/OSR the 5e SRD doesn't add much value on that front.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going to run a highly-customized version of B10 - Night's Dark Terror, which is to me the greatest of the classic adventure modules and one of the finest ever printed. Originally made for Expert ruleset, it is a gritty survival and exploration adventure in a huge sandbox format, with quite good encounters and a well thought plot. It is amazing what they managed to fit into 60 pages... I expect to run it for at least 10 sessions, hopefully a few more, although it will require a little work since some of the locations are a bit sketchy.

Having tried 5E for my Dark Sun game past year, I've decided to move back to an older edition. 5e has merits, but its biggest flaw to me is that it is not exciting at all. After polling my players, the generall impression is that they "kind of liked it". And we didn't even reach very high levels, where the problems would have become more acute.

Right now I am torn between two possibilities: AD&D 2e, or 3.5e E6 variant.

AD&D would require little adaptation, but even if I love old D&D I am certainly dubious, since I want skills to play a part during the hex crawl and other situations, and because of the "been there, done that" feeling.

E6 is something I've been wanting to try for some time. I'd complement it with a few houserules for hex crawling and leveling up, and maybe taking some of the good ideas from 5e like Inspiration. For those not knowing what E6 is, it is basically a 3.5e game in which maximum level (Epic) is 6, and from there onwards you can purchase feats with XP. In addition to the regular feats there is specific ones targeted at increasing attributes, BAB, increasing caster level or gaining new slots, or even gaining certain "epic" spells of level 4 or higher (Restoration, Teleport), but which comes as rituals or with rare ingredients. But no HP bloat or inflation, no Dragonball-Z flying PCs that nuke enemies, no buffing madness.

So, Codex, what do I pick? I lean towards E6 right now but I'm still undecided.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
I'd say go with E6 first see if it's working well or not for you and your group and if not swap over to AD&D since as you said it's easier to adapt.

As for 5e news it's been confirmed that hasbro is making a TTRPG out of their other properties like GI Joe not just power rangers

The other major game initiative brings these settings into tabletop roleplaying games. As Transformers, My Little Pony, Power Rangers and G.i. Joe are Hasbro properties, it’s no surprise that the RPGs created by Renegade Game Studios will use the massively popular Fifth Edition rules set.

“Part of the strategy here is that if we want a GI Joe fan to play an RPG” said Gaeta. “We want to use the system that’s most common and widely known. Fifth Edition at this point is the common language in RPGs. We went back and forth on our discussions but we landed on Fifth Edition being what we wanted to use to achieve our design goals.”

This also allows for the cross-brand crossovers seen in comics where GI JOE and the Autobots team up to battle Cobra and the Decepticons. “There’s nothing to stop players from having GI Joe and Transformers characters in the same campaign,” said Gaeta.

I look forward to seeing how 5e handles machine guns and modern military warfare along side giant robots that change shape and can just... run over people.

Honestly as more and more groups brute force different properties or genres into the 5e engine and now Hasbro itself joining into the fray with their other properites I think they should rebrand 5e and give it it's own name.

However, if this continued bloat of settings/properites for 5e continues and we some how get a Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light official splat book... I may come to accept this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom