Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Gyor

Savant
Maybe they are part of that idiotic twitter mob, they live in their own bubble and are impervious to reality and completely disconnected with their real paying customers . Cause to make such bad business move like this it, require skill ,sort of.They got lucky critical role play 5E and made it popular else another system could easily win.

I just got banned for calling these woke Twitter idiots on their bullshit and WotC on their stupidity. So sick of the woke turning everything I loved into piles of shit, from left-wing politics, to D&D, and so many other things, and then silencing any critics that come up.

Its a tumour.
Of course immediately banned, welcome in the new e-dictatorship, another one obsessed with racial issues .But dont despair somehow people will get tired of their bullshit, you dont break a contract with a respected and iconic writer like margaret weiss without consequences. People can still move to other systems, like when they abandonned 4e for pathfinder. 5E is a good system but you can refine it if you want, like they do in shadow of the demon lord, and even more fluid version to play and not plagued with such nonsense. Who knows which system will win.

I like some of the settings (most actually), they just need better leadership, someone smart enough not to give a fuck what stupid woke Twitter mobs thinks.

Codex Year of the Donut
Later in the lawsuit it details that Wizards of the Coast requested “sensitivity rewrites.” In fact, it states that [Weis and Hickman] accommodated such requests and provided rewrites, in one case, 70 pages-worth.”
:avatard:

Know what we called this when I was younger?
Censorship.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Later in the lawsuit it details that Wizards of the Coast requested “sensitivity rewrites.” In fact, it states that [Weis and Hickman] accommodated such requests and provided rewrites, in one case, 70 pages-worth.”
:avatard:

Know what we called this when I was younger?
Censorship.
It's okay when it's sensitivity rewrites. Stop being a bigot.

Bara

Arcane
It's anecdotal evidence but I've noticed looking at the r/dndnext thread on the dragonlance cancellation is having comments with high ratings in defense of gully dawrfs,kender, and tinker gnomes removed by moderators.

Apparently they are all offensive for mocking people with real world mental disabilities and promote ableism. At this point I'm surprised that roll for stats is still an option if were going this deep into the nonsense now

Like here a example comment that was removed that I was able to dig up:

Yup pretty much. I don't personally agree with it (I think fantasy races are allowed to be just fantasy races, instead of real world analogues that people project onto them, and fantasy exists to explore all themes including fantasy racism), but that doesn't really factor into whether WotC themselves decide it isn't worth the twitterstorm controversy.

That was removed from the thread what for? No one knows but the mods but I guess they don't like sensible comments getting noticed. I swear these people are joke trying to control a narrative this hard.

This really is a new kind of satanic panic when comments like the one above are removed. At least there are plenty of sensible people out there it seems they just get their messages censored if it's goes against the moderators.

Bara

Arcane
Just thank god 5e also has it's own OGL so it can continue to evolve outside of wotc easier.

And on that note to give add something positive to this thread again instead of my constant complaining Kobold Press finished their kickstarter a couple days back for their new megadungeon module for 5e

Going to be a long wait for this one but so far I've enjoyed all of Kobold Press's products for 5e.

Gyor

Savant
It's anecdotal evidence but I've noticed looking at the r/dndnext thread on the dragonlance cancellation is having comments with high ratings in defense of gully dawrfs,kender, and tinker gnomes removed by moderators.

Apparently they are all offensive for mocking people with real world mental disabilities and promote ableism. At this point I'm surprised that roll for stats is still an option if were going this deep into the nonsense now

Yup pretty much. I don't personally agree with it (I think fantasy races are allowed to be just fantasy races, instead of real world analogues that people project onto them, and fantasy exists to explore all themes including fantasy racism), but that doesn't really factor into whether WotC themselves decide it isn't worth the twitterstorm controversy.

That was removed from the thread what for? No one knows but the mods but I guess they don't like sensible comments getting noticed. I swear these people are joke trying to control a narrative this hard.

This really is a new kind of satanic panic when comments like the one above are removed. At least there are plenty of sensible people out there it seems they just get their messages censored if it's goes against the moderators.

The irony is I have fucking brain damage literally, and I never equated gully dwarves and kender with with mental disabilities, these people are fucking nut and they see microaggression everywhere.

Gyor

Savant

The dndnext subreddit clearly jumped the shark.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

The irony is I have fucking brain damage literally, and I never equated gully dwarves and kender with with mental disabilities, these people are fucking nut and they see microaggression everywhere.
Thing is, deep down, those people are not really interested. It's like people fighting for "poverty" but not giving a shit about poor people they meet. It's vain-glory mixed with their (self-perceived) useless life searching for fulfillment. Since it works (i.e. they get attention and power-trip out of the cancel culture), they will pursue it to the detriment of both the "offenders" AND the offended.

I do realize it's more complicated than this considering some people have just twisted worldviews etc., but I do think what I just said apply to the vast majority either completely or partially.

Last edited:

Gyor

Savant

Thing is, deep down, those people are not really interested. It's like people fighting for "poverty" but not giving a shit about poor people they meet. It's vain-glory mixed with useless lifes searching for fulfillment. Since it works (i.e. they get attention and power-trip out of the cancel culture), they will pursue it to the detriment of both the "offenders" AND the offended.

I do realize it's more complicated than this considering some people have just twisted worldviews etc., but I do this what I just said apply to the vast majority either completely or partially.

There is for some also the money, the diversity and inclusion industry is a 8 billion dollar per year industry that is not required to ever produce the promised results and in fact studies show it has the opposite effect, less diversity, mental health damage to minorities, encouraging the spread of obscure stereotypes.

But goodness forbid to point all this out to the woke and how corrupt woke politics, you get okay boomer type snide bullshit and/or bans, or straight up lies.

Bara

Arcane
Well an update on that thread on dndnext looks like they're restoring the comments that were fine and in defence of the setting.

Specifically this one which I rather liked

I would argue that, at least so far as the original novels, the Gully Dwarves existed to make a point-- specifically, everybody looks down on them. They get treated like burdens and living trash... except by Raistlin. The resident asshole of the group, who at first glance seems to be on an edgy quest for power-- the unexpected tolerance and empathy Raistlin shows them really humanizes his character. He sees how other people treat them, it resonates with what he went through before learning magic, and those interactions reveal that beneath his demeanor Raistlin is strikingly human and even a little vulnerable at his core.

You're definitely meant to feel like "the way they get treated really isn't fair". Because that's the whole point-- Raistlin, of all characters, feels that exact same way in a world that doesn't really tolerate these smelly, dim-witted creatures. And through that, you start to empathize with and start to understand Raistlin beyond his quest for power, and why he pursues it so single-mindedly.

So nice to see resonsble comemnts that arnt thrown down a hole because it goes against the grain.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.google.com/amp/s/boundi...wizards-of-the-coast-for-over-30-million/amp/

I was wrong, it turns out instead of 10 million dollars, they are going for 30 million dollars. The fact that D&D trilogies are worth millions of dollars shows how stupid WotC really is for ending the novel line in the first place. I mean Penguine House was willing to pay them 30 million dollars for these books, holy shit. Not the all the writers fetch that kind of money, but even 1/10th of that is a nice amount of money.

I'm now utterly convinced WotCs current success is 75% dumb luck.
They are not worth 30 million dollars. It's fucking book. My requested salary of high end game developer with AI and mass scale simulations is 600$, game development time 2.5 years. Books are just text, not QA, thus they take a lot less time 1.5 years with all grammar corrections and proof reading. So you can calculate how much they lost when they were deprived of money for another trilogy.

What they are asking isn't sum for losing contract, these are retirement money.

Gyor

Savant
https://www.google.com/amp/s/boundi...wizards-of-the-coast-for-over-30-million/amp/

I was wrong, it turns out instead of 10 million dollars, they are going for 30 million dollars. The fact that D&D trilogies are worth millions of dollars shows how stupid WotC really is for ending the novel line in the first place. I mean Penguine House was willing to pay them 30 million dollars for these books, holy shit. Not the all the writers fetch that kind of money, but even 1/10th of that is a nice amount of money.

They are not worth 30 million dollars. It's fucking book. My requested salary of high end game developer with AI and mass scale simulations is 600$, game development time 2.5 years. Books are just text, not QA, thus they take a lot less time 1.5 years with all grammar corrections and proof reading. So you can calculate how much they lost when they were deprived of money for another trilogy.

Do you realize that D&D novels from popular author sales copies in the millions and that the amount they are demanding is based on a deal they already made with Penguin House Publishing?

Mortmal

Arcane

Do you realize that D&D novels from popular author sales copies in the millions and that the amount they are demanding is based on a deal they already made with Penguin House Publishing?
Each weiss book sell for one million unit minimum without a sweat, so the the amount requested is realistic. Plus it needs to cover lawyers fee.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are clearly asking more than what they expect to get in settlement. Standard court bargaining tactic, nothing wrong with it.

Also, pretty ironic one of the new editors cancelling their book is a pedo. Wait, did I write "ironic"? It should have been "predictable". Every. Single. Time! :M

Gyor

Savant
Well all the D&D books I ordered arrived today, my Birthday, much to my surprise.

I wasn't them until November, October 29th at the earliest for some of them, so the fact that they got to me so fast pleases me. And exactly on my birthday, two seperate others from 2 different countries, amazing.

Only a couple days earlier I got my purple fedora and gamer keyboard and mouse.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Well all the D&D books I ordered arrived today, my Birthday, much to my surprise.

I wasn't them until November, October 29th at the earliest for some of them, so the fact that they got to me so fast pleases me. And exactly on my birthday, two seperate others from 2 different countries, amazing.

Only a couple days earlier I got my purple fedora and gamer keyboard and mouse.
Easy part is over. Now, it's finding a group. Are you planning to GM or be a Player?

Bara

Arcane
You folks got any recommendations for third party 5e publishers? I've enjoyed Kobold press's stuff yet finding anything else on dmsguild or else where is a pain because there so much 5e content spam everywhere.

A lot of "I live stream 5e thus I know enough to be a game-designer now!" junk or just to much of converting everything possible under the sun to 5e disregard if it works well in it or not.

Gyor

Savant
You folks got any recommendations for third party 5e publishers? I've enjoyed Kobold press's stuff yet finding anything else on dmsguild or else where is a pain because there so much 5e content spam everywhere.

A lot of "I live stream 5e thus I know enough to be a game-designer now!" junk or just to much of converting everything possible under the sun to 5e disregard if it works well in it or not.

Depends on how far your willing to test 5e's boundaries. There is the Stargate 5e rpg, I think it's still in kickstarter.

I enjoyed Odysessy of the Dragonlords.

There is the Numera for 5e stuff.

Bara

Arcane
Odyssey was good when I checked it out to compare it against Theros.

I want to stick with fantasy or settings that very much have magic appart of their settings along side science. None of that any "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" stuff.

But 5e Stargate? I... may have to check it out that as that as I still have the SG-1 dvds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom