Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Gyor

Savant
removed paragraph:
"The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself."

Didn't the wall get destroyed in 4th edition? Though I think the blood war was supposed to have ended in 4e too but it's here in 5e.

Also I really wonder if they made this change for lore reasons or their worried they'll offed Atheists now.

Evidence suggests its related to the next Drizzt trilogy where Drizzt desides to save everyones soul. I kid you not.

We are about to get an epic Realms Shaking event incoming.

Gyor

Savant
Dream of the Blue Veil is a weird spell in TCoE that allows you to transport to another world, but it's very mechanically strange and it comes with a side bar on travelling between worlds/settings.

Dream of the Blue Veil 7th-levelconjuration CastingTime:10 minutes Range:20 feet Components:V, S, M (a magic item or a willing creature from the destination world) Duration:6 hours You and up to eight willing creatures within range fall unconscious for the spells’ duration and experience visions of another world on the Material Plane, such as Oerth, Toril, Krynn, or Eberron. If the spell reaches its full duration, the visions conclude with each of you encountering and pulling back a mysterious blue curtain. The spell then ends with you mentally and physically transported to the world that was in the visions. To cast this spell, you must have a magic item that originated on the world you wish to reach, and you must be aware of the world’s existence, even if you don’t know the world’s name. Your destination in the other world is a safe location within 1 mile of where the magic item was created. Alternatively, you can cast the spell if one of the affected creatures was born on the other world, which causes your destination to be a safe location within 1 mile of where that creature was born. The spell ends early on a creature if that creature takes any damage, and the creature isn’t transported. If you take any damage, the spell ends for you and all other creatures, with none of you being transported, which meantions something that preceded the material plane called the First World. WotC is up to something major, a huge shift. It might even be a D&D multiverse shaking event, beyond just a Realms shaking event. I've copy pasted the Intel from Dndleaks reddit.

Traveling to Other Worlds The Material Plane holds an ininite number of worlds. Some—like Oerth, Toril, Krynn, and Eberron—are well documented, but there are countless others. You and your friends may even have created some homemade D&D worlds yourselves! It was not always so. Various scholars speak of a primordial state, a single reality they call the First World, which preceded the multiverse as we know it. Many of the peoples and monsters that inhabit the worlds in the Material Plane originated there. After the First World was shattered by a great cataclysm—giving birth to the worlds that came in its wake—the progeny of the irst elves, dwarves, beholders, and other iconic creatures took root on world after world, like seeds scattered by a cosmic wind. If the musings of these great sages are true, every world is a relection—and in some cases, a distortion—of the First World. Transit between these worlds is rare but not impossible and can be accomplished in various ways. One such method is called the Great Journey, an epic voyage fraught with peril and littered with obstacles to be overcome. This journey most often occurs aboard a vessel powered by magic. Another method is the Dream of Other Worlds; travelers fall into a deep slumber and dream themselves into a new realm. The spell dreamoftheblueveil employs this method of transit. The most direct method is the Leap to Another Realm; a spellcaster casts teleportationcircleor teleport, aiming to appear in a known teleportation circle or some other location in another world. Whatever method you use to reach a world, the DM determines whether you succeed and where exactly you appear if you do arrive in that realm.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are 2 things from 4e that plagues 5e.

1 - The hp bloat. But to be fair is smaller than on 4e. 2e was the best edition in HP values. 5e hp is too inflated. Casters should have d4 hit points and after lv 9, classes should receive far less hp. Nobody deserves this BS where battles at high levels takes dozens of hours. High lethality > low lethality.

2 - The retarded "tier" system "local heroes" "heroes of the realm" and other BS. It was took from 4e and makes ZERO sense. A lv 18 guy on the city of Liches in the deepest part of the Abyss can be the weakest non slave in that city but according to 5e, he needs to be a "hero of the world".

Gyor

Savant
I'm thinking that now that Drizzt has monk levels maybe he Kung Furies his fist through the Wall of the False and Faithess freeing all the souls as they go flying everywhere.

Gyor

Savant

1 - The hp bloat. But to be fair is smaller than on 4e. 2e was the best edition in HP values. 5e hp is too inflated. Casters should have d4 hit points and after lv 9, classes should receive far less hp. Nobody deserves this BS where battles at high levels takes dozens of hours. High lethality > low lethality.

2 - The retarded "tier" system "local heroes" "heroes of the realm" and other BS. It was took from 4e and makes ZERO sense. A lv 18 guy on the city of Liches in the deepest part of the Abyss can be the weakest non slave in that city but according to 5e, he needs to be a "hero of the world".

3e and 4e had an epic tier that made sense as an epic tier (mostly, I didn't like how 4e statted Gods), 5e just pretends level 17-20 are epic just because you get 9th level spells.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

3e and 4e had an epic tier that made sense as an epic tier (mostly, I didn't like how 4e statted Gods), 5e just pretends level 17-20 are epic just because you get 9th level spells.

That is not my critique towards the tier system.

There are a place on Abyss called City of Liches. Basically everyone who isn't a slave is a Lich or a powerful Lich apprentice, so you can assume that being able to cast tier 9 spells there is extremely common thing here. For the tier system, the lv 17 guy which can be the weakest non slave there can be considered a "hero of the world" If we are talking about D&D, we are not only talking about dungeons & kobolds in sword coast. We are talking about a rich and complex cosmos, spelljammer, dark sun, carceri, 666 layers of the abyss, 8 circles of the hell, underdark, limbo(...) a lot of locations where a high level PC is not considered strong.

Caim

Arcane
I'm thinking that now that Drizzt has monk levels maybe he Kung Furies his fist through the Wall of the False and Faithess freeing all the souls as they go flying everywhere.

Drizzt is like 5'4". The Faithless would laugh their asses off when they see him.

Gyor

Savant

Drizzt is like 5'4". The Faithless would laugh their asses off when they see him.

Its not the size of his body, its the power of his kung fury.

Bara

Arcane
Okay like Xanther's lost notes expansion book on dmsguild apparently they've already released one for Tasha on dmsguild by the community.

A lot of it sounds like one of those modpacks for a game where you get a couple good ones with a bunch of random junk that you'll never care for.

Mortmal

Arcane

Play the damn game viktor , there's no hp bloat in 5E , everything is resolved in a few rounds , and that abyss settings its not even ported to 5E, none of this is ported and probably wont ever be . Even if it was it would be heavily changed with addition of epic past level 20 abilities, more epic than the few described in the manual.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Play the damn game viktor , there's no hp bloat in 5E , everything is resolved in a few rounds , and that abyss settings its not even ported to 5E, none of this is ported and probably wont ever be . Even if it was it would be heavily changed with addition of epic past level 20 abilities, more epic than the few described in the manual.

If a high level necromancer can't OHK a dragon army with wail of the banshee, the game has too much HP bloat for my taste. I know that it is unlikely to happen on 2e but having a epic lv char with about 40 hp(no reroll stats) and even dragons never reaching past 200 hp was so amazing on 2e...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Tiers" are just a tool that explains to new players what they should expect from the average game at a certain level. It's nothing more than an indication, a simple guideline with no actual rules attached. How can it "plague" the game, if it has literally zero ways to influence it?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"Tiers" are just a tool that explains to new players what they should expect from the average game at a certain level. It's nothing more than an indication, a simple guideline with no actual rules attached. How can it "plague" the game, if it has literally zero ways to influence it?

"average" in the sense that only sword coast matters...

And this tiers affect the game mechanics too. For eg, fighters get only the next attack when they advance to the next "tier". Casters, only get 3rd, 6th and 9th circle of magic when they advance to the next tier. And +cantrip damage. 5e mechanic wise was designed around tiers. Is no longer like 2e or 3.5e where a lv 1 mage is a complete novice who got instructions and learned how to cast his first spells today and a lv 20 mage is someone who reached the peak of humanity in that aspect and anything above 20, someone who broke the human limitations.

The domains of dread uses "accomplished" to refer to Strahd as a 16th level necromancer and "mage of mediocre skill" to refer to Strahd in life as a 5th level mage. Exactly cuz levels on previous editions wasn't divided by this awful tier system. 5e would say that the same "mage of mediocre skill" is a "hero of the realm"

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

"average" in the sense that only sword coast matters...

And this tiers affect the game mechanics too. For eg, fighters get only the next attack when they advance to the next "tier". Casters, only get 3rd, 6th and 9th circle of magic when they advance to the next tier. And +cantrip damage. 5e mechanic wise was designed around tiers. Is no longer like 2e or 3.5e where a lv 1 mage is a complete novice who got instructions and learned how to cast his first spells today and a lv 20 mage is someone who reached the peak of humanity in that aspect and anything above 20, someone who broke the human limitations.

The domains of dread uses "accomplished" to refer to Strahd as a 16th level necromancer and "mage of mediocre skill" to refer to Strahd in life as a 5th level mage. Exactly cuz levels on previous editions wasn't divided by this awful tier system. 5e would say that the same "mage of mediocre skill" is a "hero of the realm"
You seem incapable of understanding that comparing definitions and power levels of different editions is pointless. It serves no purpose at all.

You are also approaching the whole "tiers" thing from the wrong perspective. Nobody would define Strahd "hero of the realm", because that's a definition that only exists outside of the fiction to let new players know which kind of adventures they can expect to face. The only purpose of the tiers of play is to tell to the players and DM that a level 2 character probably shouldn't face archdevils, and that a level 18 characters probably shouldn't kill rats in a tavern. That's it, nothing more. Moreover, the tiers of play only mean something when talking about player characters, so they have nothing to do with how powerful Strahd is or is not.

Besides, the tiers of play weren't introduced neither by 5E nor 4E, but were present since D&D BECMI, which takes its name from the five tiers of play: Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, and Immortals. And they were also implicitly present in 3.x. I mean, just look at your example: when reaching another tier of play, characters improve their most significant class features. Casters reach more powerful circles, warriors gain more attacks. How can you not see that that's the same in 3.x?

ekrolo2

Learned
Has anyone tried revising proficiency bonus rules for 5e? To make it more of a meaty boost, especially early on?

Bara

Arcane
Tasha's books out and damn it the comments that are supposed to be by Tasha feel like some ones just trying to hard to be zanny and using her as a self-insert vs her own character. They just don't feel very in character at all.

At least from the version a friend showed me which looks to be a draft document but I doubt it's changed.

Examples:
  • On Twilight Domain Clerics - "I can’t believe I’m writing this, but I think I could get behind a faith focused on moodlighting and eveningwear."
  • Circle of Stars Druid - "What about the dark places between the stars? Don’t you realize that’s where the good stuff is?"
  • Rune Knight Warrior - "You’re researching ancient arts and drawing runes. It’s okay to just say you want to be a witch!"
  • Way of Astral Self Monk - "Note to self:create a spell that lets you throat-punch people with your ghost."
  • Clock work soul sorcerer - "I rarely tell people I speak Modron because, invariably, they just want to learn how to curse, so let’s get this out of the way now. Lesson one:“beepboop”and other slams."
It's fine every now and then but not at the expense of the characters personality. I'm seeing this type of writing a lot more recently with 5e.

Gyor

Savant
Tasha's books out and damn it the comments that are supposed to be by Tasha feel like some ones just trying to hard to be zanny and using her as a self-insert vs her own character. They just don't feel very in character at all.

At least from the version a friend showed me which looks to be a draft document but I doubt it's changed.

Examples:
  • On Twilight Domain Clerics - "I can’t believe I’m writing this, but I think I could get behind a faith focused on moodlighting and eveningwear."
  • Circle of Stars Druid - "What about the dark places between the stars? Don’t you realize that’s where the good stuff is?"
  • Rune Knight Warrior - "You’re researching ancient arts and drawing runes. It’s okay to just say you want to be a witch!"
  • Way of Astral Self Monk - "Note to self:create a spell that lets you throat-punch people with your ghost."
  • Clock work soul sorcerer - "I rarely tell people I speak Modron because, invariably, they just want to learn how to curse, so let’s get this out of the way now. Lesson one:“beepboop”and other slams."
It's fine every now and then but not at the expense of the characters personality. I'm seeing this type of writing a lot more recently with 5e.

That sounds awful except for the Star Druid comment which was fitting. I was supposed get my copy today from Amazon, but so far it's MIA, annoying.

In other news Adventurer's League's PHB+1 rule gets dumber just when you think it can't. You can use the class feature option only if your PHB +1 is Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, so the balance with XGTE and other choices is so insanely out of wack that they might as well have just lit the XGTE, MTOFs, VGTM, and the SCAG on fire.

And you can now use the Artificer in AL including spells in XGTE, the excuse that they didn't want folks to use too many books is BS because now I could play an Artificer using the spells in XGTE and a background from the SCAG, 4 books, 5 books if I play an Aasimar in the right season adding VGTM.

Kill this stupid PHB +1 rule already. I don't even do AL, it's the principle of the thing.

Bara

Arcane
Yeah I don't get why people play AL. Why let wotc dictate what is and isn't allowed in your games and just embrace home games or digital table top games if your nervous about meeting strangers in real life.

I will say I'm liking a few of the new class mechanics I'm reading but they really could have gone further with it.

Like clockwork soul sorcerer has a ability to remove disadvantage on allies and advantages on foes and can do so a number of times equal to your prof bonus and it's billed as "Your connection to the plane of absolute order allows you to equalize chaotic moments."

If it's the plane on absolute order I say enforce the law of averages and remove the dice roll entirely for a time. Force both players and foes to take the average possible in all dice rolls for x turn(s) and make the players look at the battlefield and try to use every tool they can to force a bonus.

Their Trance Of Order feature is close to that a little bit by making all rolls 9 and lower treated as a ten for 1 minute but you can still roll above 10.

Also really enjoy the idea of a warlock in service to a Genie patron and forced to grant all their desires instead of the other way around.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Examples:
They're just writing for their audience, zoomers love that kind of stuff. Character to them is all about zingers and one-liners. :decline:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
To be fair, she is famous for a spell that lets you throw a tiny tart at an enemy to make him laugh uncontrollably:

Hideous Laughter

[...]

This spell afflicts the subject with uncontrollable laughter. It collapses into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally.

[...]

Material Component
Tiny tarts that are thrown at the target and a feather that is waved in the air.

deuxhero

Arcane
removed paragraph:
"The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself."

Didn't the wall get destroyed in 4th edition? Though I think the blood war was supposed to have ended in 4e too but it's here in 5e.

Also I really wonder if they made this change for lore reasons or their worried they'll offed Atheists now.

Evidence suggests its related to the next Drizzt trilogy where Drizzt desides to save everyones soul. I kid you not.

Epic level spellcaster with the ability to devour gods, assisted by a crusade lead by epic casters of multiple distinct alignments? Nah, completely impossible.
An old elf who's really good at wielding TWO swords? Seems completely plausable.

Gyor

Savant
removed paragraph:

Epic level spellcaster with the ability to devour gods, assisted by a crusade lead by epic casters of multiple distinct alignments? Nah, completely impossible.
An old elf who's really good at wielding TWO swords? Seems completely plausable.

Drizzt isn't old by elf standards and he's multiclassed as a super monk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom