Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Bara

Arcane
I still like how a day after dragonlance announcement wotc hasnt said a word about it and they cant even be bothered to make their own announcement for it and seem to be snubbing it in favor of this.

5e third party material probably the way to go going forward if you still want to play 5e after this.

Gyor

Savant
I still like how a day after dragonlance announcement wotc hasnt said a word about it and they cant even be bothered to make their own announcement for it and seem to be snubbing it in favor of this.

5e third party material probably the way to go going forward if you still want to play 5e after this.

I backed the Southlands kickstarter for the Physical & PDF Southlands Worldbook/City of Cats/Southlands Players Guide.

Gyor

Savant
Well more Ravenloft hints and looks like Tasha's optinal rule for ASIs remaning optinal was a lie in the new unearthed arcana playtest material.

All the new races have free assign for their +2 & +1s.

I guess you could make them have to pick the base races ASIs such that if you play a damphir in this play test thats a dwarf they have to use the dwarven racial modifiers.

Design Note: Changes to Racial Traits

In 2020, the book Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything introduced the option to customize several of your character’s racial traits, specifically the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, and traits that give
skill, armor, weapon, or tool proficiencies.

Following in that book’s footsteps, the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural.

Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of
a particular lineage.

Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or
innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also
don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage.

Finally, going forward, the term “race” in D&D refers only to the suite of game features used by player characters. Said features don’t have any bearing on monsters and NPCs who are members of the same species or lineage, since monsters and NPCs in D&D don’t rely on race or class to function.

Moreover, DMs are empowered to customize the features of the creatures in their game as they wish.

The politics behind the change is stupid in the way woke bullshit is often is, BUT I have to admit I like these new races.

It basically confirms that Innistrad and/or Ravenloft with be getting a Campaign Setting World Book this year.

Gyor

Savant
I'm going against the grain and saying I believe more then four hardcovers will be published this year. I think it will be 5 or six. 1. CKM 2. A monster book 3. Settling Book 4. Adventure 5. Setting Book.

Bara

Arcane
So apparently iron kingdoms started it's kickstarter for a 5e rulebook a few days ago

I mostly bring it up to ask is adding hyperlinks inside pdfs to respective pages a tedious enough process to require a stretch goal of $370k from the previous goal of $355k?

2daa67894efffb5306fdb7062b5fcb1d_original.jpg

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I mostly bring it up to ask is adding hyperlinks inside pdfs to respective pages a tedious enough process to require a stretch goal of $370k from the previous goal of $355k?
One could just break through the lock in the PDF file, right?

Mortmal

Arcane

Bara

Arcane
hope the setting is not generic

It's pretty good from what I remember. Generally a combo of steampunk/fantasy a bit like Eberron a year before Eberron was released.

This guys video pretty good for a quick overview

Bara

Arcane
So WoTC put up the survey for the Gothic Lineages test it probably won't change anything but speak now or forever hold your peace.

Also I think it speaks volumes that this was announced on the D&D social media account but nothing about Dragonlance still

Apparently people got mad that one of the puppets has tits too and then wotc retweeted the show creator saying that's how the player wanted there character represented.

Oh and in other general hilarity Tracy Hickman sent this meme out but then later had to delete it saying it was sending the wrong message as people started accusing him for "gate-keeping"
EtZokpMUYAIjhfi

Here a example of some one works for wotc declaring it as such.

The person who tweeted calling it gate-keeping now set their account to private so maybe they were told to shut up as their a freelance artist and thus the easiest to cut.

I think its safe to say we're only getting the new dragonlance novels due to contractual obligation and nothing else. No 5e dragonlance for sure now.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Gota say all the official 5e news really does suck now a days and it gets to me sometimes. So here's a review of a third party book for good man games reincarnated adventures this time featuring Castle Amber to wash some of that out.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
D&D 5E has a lot of glaring flaws, but it's still a very enjoyable game.
Any game can be enjoyable with the right group of people. The question is if some other game would be even more enjoyable with the same people -- and I've found the answer is undoubtedly YES.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
dear diary,
D&D 5E remained shit

I have criticized many aspects of 5e in this same thread and I gave up on 5e for my "hardcore" group, but the game has its place. I would say it's good to introduce people into the hobby. Players get very fast into the rules, and they are still similar enough to appease the "casual" D&D player that has played one of the older editions..

Mortmal

Arcane
Any game can be enjoyable with the right group of people. The question is if some other game would be even more enjoyable with the same people -- and I've found the answer is undoubtedly YES.
Everyone know that already, but it has 90% of the market, look on the amazon best seller list , item 80 or so is pathfinder 2, its far to be perfect either nor more enjoyable tbh. As flawed it is , its a good system, and no system is perfect either. You cant possibly find players for anything else anyway.

Bara

Arcane
You cant possibly find players for anything else anyway.

Honestly I had easier time finding groups to join or recuriting players for OSR games rather than 5e games. Online at least.

Plus I got intoduced to the right places on facebook or discord to play older editions or other stuff.

When I tried getting into a 5e it was like a mmorpg. Way more players(dps) to dms(tanks/healers). I've seen some 5e dms basically asking for a resume now on recurting people.

Mortmal

Arcane

Honestly I had easier time finding groups to join or recuriting players for OSR games rather than 5e games. Online at least.

Plus I got intoduced to the right places on facebook or discord to play older editions or other stuff.

When I tried getting into a 5e it was like a mmorpg. Way more players(dps) to dms(tanks/healers). I've seen some 5e dms basically asking for a resume now on recurting people.
For recruiting people you need a job interview now yes, theres ton more players than DM but reliable good ones, on time , very few. I have one of my player processing an interview before adding anyone more now. You wouldnt believe the shit you have to go through to form a good group, even having them read the books is not given... Maybe you have better quality players applying for osr and old editions.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Everyone know that already, but it has 90% of the market, look on the amazon best seller list
Why should I care?

item 80 or so is pathfinder 2, its far to be perfect either nor more enjoyable tbh.
Pathfinder 2e is shit by woke hipsters for autistic dangerhairs and should not be even approached by anyone not on HRT.

As flawed it is , its a good system, and no system is perfect either.
The 5e system unwieldy at best, actively annoying at worst.

Absolutely false, I had a nice OSE campaign going before life stuff forced me to declare a break, and I know people who play stuff like RuneQuest, SWN and 13th Age. And I'm also betting you can find players for almost any system if you're willing to GM.

Gyor

Savant
So WoTC put up the survey for the Gothic Lineages test it probably won't change anything but speak now or forever hold your peace.

Also I think it speaks volumes that this was announced on the D&D social media account but nothing about Dragonlance still

Apparently people got mad that one of the puppets has tits too and then wotc retweeted the show creator saying that's how the player wanted there character represented.

Oh and in other general hilarity Tracy Hickman sent this meme out but then later had to delete it saying it was sending the wrong message as people started accusing him for "gate-keeping"
EtZokpMUYAIjhfi

Here a example of some one works for wotc declaring it as such.

The person who tweeted calling it gate-keeping now set their account to private so maybe they were told to shut up as their a freelance artist and thus the easiest to cut.

I think its safe to say we're only getting the new dragonlance novels due to contractual obligation and nothing else. No 5e dragonlance for sure now.

So the question becomes if those UA Dragon themed subclasses weren't for Dragonlance, then what were they for?

Either a VGTM style book with a chapter on Dragons or the Forgotten Realms Campaign World Book because FR has even more Dragon content then Dragonlance and subclasses fluff fit FR better then DL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom