Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Welp its been confirmed that none of the original creators of Dragonlance and Spelljammer has no involvement in the 5e books whatsoever. Which was to be expected.

So the official books will likely be terrible and such the only good thing to come about this is that they'll probably open up the Dragonlance and Spelljammer settings to the dmsguild third party creators to work with when they're out.

So 5e will continue its latest trend of "the fans will fix it/fill it in!"

Like holy shit I'm expecting the worst after they didn't even bother giving the darklords stat blocks in the ravenloft book.
But is it going to be so much better now! They are going to have fags, trannies, women and POC's write the books for pennies now! Look! Look at the trannies and fags! Look at the women and darkies we have making this book! Please pay no mind that we fire good talent and hire diversity hires because they work for pennies. Please pay no mind to the scumbag business practices we do that would make Disney blush like not respecting the rights of the creators or paying them. WoTC is no better then Disney in being one of the biggest scumfuck companies in America. Whoever said that Woke shit pushed by companies like Disney and WoTC are only using it as a shield to cover up their dirty business practices and get Twitter freak shows to defend them from genuine criticism is Nostra-Fucking-damus.

Gyor

Savant
Welp its been confirmed that none of the original creators of Dragonlance and Spelljammer has no involvement in the 5e books whatsoever. Which was to be expected.

So the official books will likely be terrible and such the only good thing to come about this is that they'll probably open up the Dragonlance and Spelljammer settings to the dmsguild third party creators to work with when they're out.

Like holy shit I'm expecting the worst after they didn't even bother giving the darklords stat blocks in the ravenloft book.
But is it going to be so much better now! They are going to have fags, trannies, women and POC's write the books for pennies now! Look! Look at the trannies and fags! Look at the women and darkies we have making this book! Please pay no mind that we fire good talent and hire diversity hires because they work for pennies. Please pay no mind to the scumbag business practices we do that would make Disney blush like not respecting the rights of the creators or paying them. WoTC is no better then Disney in being one of the biggest scumfuck companies in America. Whoever said that Woke shit pushed by companies like Disney and WoTC are only using it as a shield to cover up their dirty business practices and get Twitter freak shows to defend them from genuine criticism is Nostra-Fucking-damus.

WTF is wrong with you?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

WTF is wrong with you?

No, the question is what the fuck is wrong with you? Do you approve of what these companies are doing?

LabRat

Learned
5e dev seem to hate Druid so much. In the UA, Wildfire druid can get fireball spell. But now it have been removed from the TCE rulebook. Druid suck compared to other 9th-level spellcaster.

5e dev seem to hate Druid so much. In the UA, Wildfire druid can get fireball spell. But now it have been removed from the TCE rulebook. Druid suck compared to other 9th-level spellcaster.
You should Circle Moon anon like all good Druid anons anon! You should!
tPws21a.gif

Caim

Arcane
Wizards is finally answering the druish question.

halkony2012

Literate
I'm completely new to DnD and the Forgotten Realms setting. My idea for getting into DnD is to read through the player's handbook, then read something to get more acquainted with the lore. I'm looking for content that will deepen my immersion during campaigns.

1) What should I read after the PHB?
2) Would the DnD novels help me better at roleplaying in the Forgotten Realms? (seems like a no, from what I've read)

deuxhero

Arcane
What should I read after the PHB?
5th edition? The rulebook for a better system. 5E is really bad in the sense it doesn't actually function, especially past level 8/9.
Would the DnD novels help me better at roleplaying in the Forgotten Realms?
No. If for some reason you wanted to do FR RP (don't. It's super generic and a setting where all the nations might as well exist in separate worlds if they aren't at war with each other.) learning Ed Greenwood's rules for the setting like omnipresent brothels (yes) is a better use of your time if you wanted to go down that route.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm completely new to DnD and the Forgotten Realms setting. My idea for getting into DnD is to read through the player's handbook, then read something to get more acquainted with the lore. I'm looking for content that will deepen my immersion during campaigns.
If you're new to D&D and interested in its settings, then I suggest anything other than the Forgotten Realms, which is the worst campaign setting ever created for D&D/AD&D due to its being created as an intentionally bland, generic replacement for the Greyhawk campaign setting that was inextricably connected with Gary Gygax and therefore in disfavor after he lost control of TSR to Lorraine Williams.

Greyhawk was, of course, the first AD&D campaign setting, based on Gary Gygax's personal campaign that revolved around the Castle Greyhawk megadungeon. Although TSR didn't focus on campaign setting products until 1987, Greyhawk had a brief "folio" published for it in 1980 followed by a more detailed box set in 1983. After Gygax's ouster in October 1985, the Greyhawk product line was temporarily suspended, but it re-emerged in late-1988 with a hardcover and the renewal of adventure modules in this setting, as well as a City of Greyhawk box set in 1989. The setting received a bit of a shakeup with the Greyhawk Wars box set and From the Ashes box set before being discontinued in 1994.

The 1981 version of Dungeons & Dragons included a brief outline of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos in its Expert Rules, which were packaged together with adventure module X1 The Isle of Dread that had a similarly brief outline of the countries of the Known World, which then became the setting for various adventure modules in the B (Basic) and X (Expert) adventure modules, followed later by the CM (Companion) and M (Master) series. When TSR shifted its focus to campaign setting material in 1987, these received a series of 14 gazetteer modules detailing the various countries, plus a Dawn of the Emperors box set in 1989 describing the rival empires of Thyatis and Alphatia. The Known World is a pulp fantasy setting in the style of Robert E. Howard's Hyboria, where countries are based on real-life cultures and peoples, which provides a great deal of diversity and also makes it easy for the Dungeon Master and the players to fill in the blanks in the setting from their own knowledge, albeit not being particularly original. This setting also received a Hollow World box set expansion, with a few gazetteers and adventure modules of its own, and a Champions of Mystara box set that provided some detail for areas of Mystara outside the "Known World" proper. However, in 1994 TSR abruptly cancelled non-Advanced D&D, made a half-hearted attempt at shifting Mystara from D&D to AD&D, and then canned it entirely.

The Dragonlance setting originated in 1984 as an epic series of 12 connected adventure modules with a trilogy of novels attached, the latter proving popular beyond the dreams of anyone at TSR and ultimately launching hundreds of novels based on D&D/AD&D and its campaign settings. Dragonlance is set in the world of Krynn, an intentionally Tolkienesque setting, but always had difficulty as a campaign setting separating itself from the original adventures taking place during the "War of the Lance". A hardcover rulebook was released in 1987, and it eventually received a box set, a dozen adventure modules, and some other materials. However, these were always overshadowed by the prominence TSR assigned to its default Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance was probably better known for the many novels associated with it.

In 1989, TSR turned to unconventional fantasy settings, starting with Spelljammer, which was basically AD&D in Space!!! TSR released four box sets for it, as well as a few adventure modules and some other setting material, such as descriptions of the "crystal spheres" containing the Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance settings. However, it didn't sell well and was cancelled in 1994 at the same time as Greyhawk. Still, many players found the gonzo nature of the setting to be charming.

Ravenloft was the second unconventional setting, created in 1990 as an attempt to implement AD&D as gothic horror. Inspired by a classic adventure module of the same name, this setting is formed by the "Demiplane of Dread", which absorbs people and lands from many worlds, placing each separate domain under the rule of a Dark Lord with considerable powers. This setting proved quite successful and by the time TSR met its demise in 1997 had about 50 products published for it, including six box sets.

Dark Sun was the third unconventional setting, created in 1991 as a post-apocalyptic setting, except fantasy rather than SF. The world of Athas is a harsh and cruel place, where water and metals are scarce, slavery is commonplace, and most of the population resides in city-stated under the subjugation of powerful, seemingly-immortal sorcerer-kings. The inspiration for the cultures of the individual city-states is also different from the fantasy norm of pseudo-medieval Europe. Psionics was an integral part of the Dark Sun rules, there were other new classes such as templar or gladiator, clerics were based on the "four elements" rather than deities, and even the conventional fantasy races could be quite a bit different from the norm, as with nomadic elves and man-eating halflings.

Planescape was the fourth unconventional setting, created in 1994 but based upon the existing Outer Planes cosmology that had received some detail in the 1987 Manual of the Planes and that originated way back in the AD&D 1st edition rulebooks. Sigil, a vast ring city at the center of the central (True Neutral) plane, was created to serve as the typical home base for a campaign, while portals would allow easy (or not-so-easy) access to locations throughout the planes. Although Planescape launched only about two-and-half years before TSR entered a financial crisis, during that brief time it received about 30 products, including five box sets.

Birthright in 1995 was in a sense a return to conventional campaign settings, except that it attempted to make dominion rulership, normally a higher-level feature of D&D/AD&D, into a basis for play. Player-characters were intended to be rulers from the start of a campaign setting, and also to possess special bloodlines that granted them superpowers.

There were also two campaign settings for AD&D variants: The Kara-Tur box set in 1988 fleshed out details for the setting of the Oriental Adventures line that had originated with a hardcover rulebook in 1985 (Oriental referring mostly to Japan and somewhat to China), while the Al-Qadim Arabian Adventures line launched in 1992 with two box sets but was cancelled two years later.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

1) What should I read after the PHB?
2) Would the DnD novels help me better at roleplaying in the Forgotten Realms? (seems like a no, from what I've read)

I would advise you to get AD&D 2E as it's the best and last version of TSR's real D&D. Everything else is D&D In Name Only (DANDINO). I second Zed Duke of Banville's suggestions on settings with my favorite being Dragonlance. It is one of the most unique ones out there.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
If you're new to D&D and interested in its settings, then I suggest anything other than the Forgotten Realms, which is the worst campaign setting ever created for D&D/AD&D due to its being created as an intentionally bland, generic replacement for the Greyhawk campaign setting that was inextricably connected with Gary Gygax and therefore in disfavor after he lost control of TSR to Lorraine Williams.

Greyhawk was, [snip]

For post TSR settings, Eberron is actually pretty neat too. It's a "wide magic" powered interwar esque pulp setting where there's no evolving canon past the year it recommends for starting (so all novels are their own little timeline that has no impact on your games, which solves a big problem every TSR setting except Birthright and Spelljammer ran into), reasons the player characters are the ones to solve everything, and lots of original ideas. There's even a fan-made (but paid thanks to GM's guild. Like all PDFs, you can "find" it.) one book summary of the setting called the Eberronicon that's all the information a player character should know that both avoids setting "spoilers" (such and such king is actually a vampire, or this religion is a fake) and includes recommendations for where to read about further stuff. It's pretty good, though it got a bunch of updates and can't vouch for the latest as I don't know what has changed.

halkony2012

Literate
5th edition? The rulebook for a better system. 5E is really bad in the sense it doesn't actually function, especially past level 8/9.

No. If for some reason you wanted to do FR RP (don't. It's super generic and a setting where all the nations might as well exist in separate worlds if they aren't at war with each other.) learning Ed Greenwood's rules for the setting like omnipresent brothels (yes) is a better use of your time if you wanted to go down that route.

Unfortunately, the group I intend to join next week is doing 5e.
As someone inexperienced with TTRPGs, lategame 5e looks like a fucking huge mess of traits/spells/features/plumbing skills to manage. Is this what you refer to as lvl9+ being dysfunctional?

I certainly plan on developing my TTRPG chops, and it seems like I'm in the right place :).

If you're new to D&D and interested in its settings, then I suggest anything other than the Forgotten Realms, which is the worst campaign setting ever created for D&D/AD&D due to its being created as an intentionally bland, generic replacement for the Greyhawk campaign setting that was inextricably connected with Gary Gygax and therefore in disfavor after he lost control of TSR to Lorraine Williams...

I appreciate learning the roots of the scene. I'm in my mid twenties and advances in computers and technology have "conditioned" me into focusing on modern solutions for entertainment. It's my understanding that this forum's members are generally older, and getting this perspective is helpful as I look for genuinely fun and interesting backdrops for campaigns.
What's a good place to LFG online for campaigns like these?

I would advise you to get AD&D 2E as it's the best and last version of TSR's real D&D. Everything else is D&D In Name Only (DANDINO). I second Zed Duke of Banville's suggestions on settings with my favorite being Dragonlance. It is one of the most unique ones out there.

Thanks for clarifying what DANDINO means. Saw it around but it never clicked with me.
Sounds like Wizards just likes to make mass market bullshit, huh? Tried getting back into Magic after 10+ years. I can play decently, but I'm easily confused and overwhelmed by the mental model of the game.

Thank you all for the measured responses. :) Forgot good discussion actually exists on the internet lol

Cael

Arcane

Greyhawk was, [snip]

For post TSR settings, Eberron is actually pretty neat too. It's a "wide magic" powered interwar esque pulp setting where there's no evolving canon past the year it recommends for starting (so all novels are their own little timeline that has no impact on your games, which solves a big problem every TSR setting except Birthright and Spelljammer ran into), reasons the player characters are the ones to solve everything, and lots of original ideas. There's even a fan-made (but paid thanks to GM's guild. Like all PDFs, you can "find" it.) one book summary of the setting called the Eberronicon that's all the information a player character should know that both avoids setting "spoilers" (such and such king is actually a vampire, or this religion is a fake) and includes recommendations for where to read about further stuff. It's pretty good, though it got a bunch of updates and can't vouch for the latest as I don't know what has changed.
Eberron's problem is that anyone can get divine powers. You don't even have to believe in the patron deity of a religion to get it. The creators tried to go for a pseudo-Catholic feel with the Silver Flame, for example, and put in corrupt and outright Evil Cardinals and the like, but they all get powers from a LG deity. It was created at the beginning of the woke cancer that has destroyed woketards of the cunts.

As someone inexperienced with TTRPGs, lategame 5e looks like a fucking huge mess of traits/spells/features/plumbing skills to manage. Is this what you refer to as lvl9+ being dysfunctional?
looks like you're not in for the numbers. good, better. in "role playing" you, duh, play a role. what kind of character you'd like to live as? screw efficiency, pick according to what you'd think it'd be fun. not mechanics-wise, a character as a whole, build its psychological profile first. what are his strengths and weaknesses? distribute stats accordingly, then give him a fitting profession. again, screw efficiency, if the master is not a total retard he won't just wipe your whole party just because you're not all perfect killing machine. that's actually to the game's detrimental itself, because then the master can stop you all only through deus ex machinas, and everybody hate an unfair imposition.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Unfortunately, the group I intend to join next week is doing 5e.

I certainly plan on developing my TTRPG chops, and it seems like I'm in the right place :).

You could always try to a find an AD&D 2E game or other older D&D edition. Just advertise as such that you're looking specifically for those editions.

I appreciate learning the roots of the scene. I'm in my mid twenties and advances in computers and technology have "conditioned" me into focusing on modern solutions for entertainment. It's my understanding that this forum's members are generally older, and getting this perspective is helpful as I look for genuinely fun and interesting backdrops for campaigns.
What's a good place to LFG online for campaigns like these?

You could try here for finding people to play with. My WEG Star Wars group consists of 4 Codex players and my best friend. I have another Codexer that's going to watch before deciding to play. I wouldn't recommend Reddit's LFG as out of 6 players only 1 was worth a damn. The rest all flaked and fucked off after wasting my time.

Thanks for clarifying what DANDINO means. Saw it around but it never clicked with me.
Sounds like Wizards just likes to make mass market bullshit, huh? Tried getting back into Magic after 10+ years. I can play decently, but I'm easily confused and overwhelmed by the mental model of the game.

Thank you all for the measured responses. :) Forgot good discussion actually exists on the internet lol

You're most welcome. :) Ever since Monte Crooke wrote D&D 3E, the game is no longer tied to its Gary Gygax and David Arneson roots. The only thing that remained are the stats and terms. Everything else in the mechanics changed. That's why you see such radical shifts every edition since 3E. That makes it different from the TSR editions of the game because you could take a D&D Basic character and transfer it to AD&D with modifications.

The mindset is different as well. In TSR D&D you didn't have to fight the monsters to overcome them. You could actually talk to them in order to deal with them. It is a You Can Try System where if you think of something you can try to do it. In Wizards of the Woke DANDINO it's a You Can't Do It Unless You Have X System. Also, TSR D&D has none of the SJW trash in it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom