Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

0wca

Learned

Holy shit! Who is this made for? The toddlers who watch Coco Melon? No conflicts, no political back stabbing, no plot hooks, no dark grimy streets, emphasis on diversity and inclusion. D&D really is now just a Mary-Sue simulator and therapy session for genetic dead ends who spend all their free time on Twitter.
Also, when they say "The authors diverse background" do they really mean the upper middle class, gated community, American Blue State background that all these fucking writers grew up in because I doubt that even fucking one of the writers grew up in fucking Uganda.

How dare you!? This is written by black and brown people about their lived experiences. I mean, the main guy on the video is named Ajit ffs. Quit being so xenophobic.

EDIT: Seriously though, fuck current D&D. :lol:

Just heard about this recently on RPGpundit's channel. I might be overstating this, but I'm pretty sure this WILL be the final nail in 5E's coffin. Because I see this as a blueprint for 6E (or whatever the fuck they're calling it).

Reinhardt

Arcane
Generally, the aesthetics of what makes a setting cyberpunk, steampunk, etc. is that they are very specifically not very hopeful or nice places. (It's also part of what makes them interesting.)
so new adventure is niggerpunk then?

0wca

Learned
You know what, I take back what I said about The Radiant Citadel.

It's actually a perfect setting to start an evil campaign in.

Reinhardt

Arcane
You know what, I take back what I said about The Radiant Citadel.

It's actually a perfect setting to start an evil campaign in.
and working as part-timer in fantasy starbucks for fantasy sjws was perfect greater good campaign. do your part!

Gyor

Savant

Holy shit! Who is this made for? The toddlers who watch Coco Melon? No conflicts, no political back stabbing, no plot hooks, no dark grimy streets, emphasis on diversity and inclusion. D&D really is now just a Mary-Sue simulator and therapy session for genetic dead ends who spend all their free time on Twitter.
Also, when they say "The authors diverse background" do they really mean the upper middle class, gated community, American Blue State background that all these fucking writers grew up in because I doubt that even fucking one of the writers grew up in fucking Uganda.

People misunderstood what he ment, there is absolutely conflicts, it's just that the Radiant Citadel is a safe haven, it's not Baldur's Gate where someone will stab you for fun and piss on your corpse for good measure. The places that will kill you are all on the Prime Material Worlds that are connected to the Radiant Citadel, at least one of which is horror themed. And their is a Gazeteer in the back has two settings based on a mix of Tughlaq dynasty and the Mughal Empire, fuck me if that setting isn't a blood bath with backstabbing and religious genocide in it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That's what EDITIONS do - they try to maintain as many of the core principles of the game whilst making it more easily understandable and less bloated (or at least, that's what they're supposed to do).

I agree with everything you've said except this. When it came to D&D 3.X, Monte Crook made it clear that he unchained his version from what came before. It has zero connection with OD&D and AD&D. From then on, every edition has nothing in common with the prior one. 4E is not compatible with OD&D, AD&D, D&D 3.x, or 5E. 5E is not compatible with anything that came before.

This is why I repeatedly said in threads like this that these games are not D&D. They have the branding but none of the meat from the original. Wizards of the Woke is Not-D&D or DANDINO (D&D In Name Only).

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

People misunderstood what he ment, there is absolutely conflicts, it's just that the Radiant Citadel is a safe haven, it's not Baldur's Gate where someone will stab you for fun and piss on your corpse for good measure. The places that will kill you are all on the Prime Material Worlds that are connected to the Radiant Citadel, at least one of which is horror themed. And their is a Gazeteer in the back has two settings based on a mix of Tughlaq dynasty and the Mughal Empire, fuck me if that setting isn't a blood bath with backstabbing and religious genocide in it.

Are you a Hugbox: The Gathering apologist? The Radiant Citadel sounds gay as hell.

Reinhardt

Arcane

0wca

Learned
That's what EDITIONS do - they try to maintain as many of the core principles of the game whilst making it more easily understandable and less bloated (or at least, that's what they're supposed to do).

I agree with everything you've said except this. When it came to D&D 3.X, Monte Crook made it clear that he unchained his version from what came before. It has zero connection with OD&D and AD&D. From then on, every edition has nothing in common with the prior one. 4E is not compatible with OD&D, AD&D, D&D 3.x, or 5E. 5E is not compatible with anything that came before.

This is why I repeatedly said in threads like this that these games are not D&D. They have the branding but none of the meat from the original. Wizards of the Woke is Not-D&D or DANDINO (D&D In Name Only).

Well, that's why I said 'that's what they're supposed to do'. There's more to it than that obviously, sometimes you add new stuff because at some point the game has to evolve. Question is: are you're adding new stuff that benefits or detracts from the general formula?

I agree that 5E isn't compatible with older editions although converting the sheets isn't that difficult (there's even a guide to it somewhere). Vice versa however is really difficult.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Well, that's why I said 'that's what they're supposed to do'. There's more to it than that obviously, sometimes you add new stuff because at some point the game has to evolve. Question is: are you're adding new stuff that benefits or detracts from the general formula?

I agree that 5E isn't compatible with older editions although converting the sheets isn't that difficult (there's even a guide to it somewhere). Vice versa however is really difficult.

Since 3.x they've been rewriting the formula every edition since they share nothing with other editions.

The Fish

Arcane
I've decided to wade knee deep into the poz by attending a public 5e dnd session. This will be the the first time I've attempted pnp roleplaying. I've obtained digital versions of the player's book and dungeon master's book but I'm otherwise unprepared. Any general advice? Is it typical to have your own set of dice? Do you make up high level characters for higher level campaigns or are you expected to have characters that have organically grown from other campaigns? Is flicking pennies at other roletards considered poor form?

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've decided to wade knee deep into the poz by attending a public 5e dnd session. This will be the the first time I've attempted pnp roleplaying. I've obtained digital versions of the player's book and dungeon master's book but I'm otherwise unprepared. Any general advice? Is it typical to have your own set of dice? Do you make up high level characters for higher level campaigns or are you expected to have characters that have organically grown from other campaigns? Is flicking pennies at other roletards considered poor form?

By public session do you mean Adventurers League and similar? If so, I wouldn't touch those with a 1000-yard stick from what I hear about them.

But otherwise, the absolute minimum is your own complete set of dice, paper and something to write with. It's very likely there'll be another person there who doesn't know any of the rules and will have to be taught too.

Bring a smart phone to download some useful apps if needed. Prepare to be laughed at and/or laugh at others. Expect a sausage party.

The better alternative is to collect your friends/people you don't hate and get drunk learning the rules for the first time.

The Fish

Arcane
By public session do you mean Adventurers League and similar? If so, I wouldn't touch those with a 1000-yard stick from what I hear about them.

I mean groups arranging dnd sessions in pubs around my city and advertising to newcomers online.

Cael

Arcane

I mean groups arranging dnd sessions in pubs around my city and advertising to newcomers online.
Good luck. I wish there was a more active DnD scene in Australia. They all seem to prefer the tranny editions rather than the real editions.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Good luck. I wish there was a more active DnD scene in Australia. They all seem to prefer the tranny editions rather than the real editions.

Why don't you start a group using AD&D or OD&D then? If you want something done you do it yourself. ;)

Cael

Arcane

Why don't you start a group using AD&D or OD&D then? If you want something done you do it yourself. ;)
No one's interested. They are all about Tranny Ed.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

I'm sorry to hear that bud. :(

If I decide to run an AD&D 2E game online using Tabletop Simulator would you be interested?

Cael

Arcane

I'm sorry to hear that bud. :(

If I decide to run an AD&D 2E game online using Tabletop Simulator would you be interested?
Interested, yes. Able to depends on time zone differences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom