Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The better alternative is to collect your friends/people you don't hate and get drunk learning the rules for the first time.

This a thousand times. IME even the "tranny edition" is (somewhat) playable with the right people, while public games are mostly filled with people who are too terrible to have any real friends.

Having written that, my group seems to be dead in the water. I've been waiting since December for any one of them to signal any kind of interest in playing anything, nada. I'm sick of always having to be the one to organize games. Lazy fucking bastards.

Cael

Arcane
Seriously, though:

1. Anyone wanting a UTC+10 game?
or
2. Anyone in Sydney wanting to get together for games?

DnD non-Tranny Editions.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Seriously, though:

1. Anyone wanting a UTC+10 game?
or
2. Anyone in Sydney wanting to get together for games?

DnD non-Tranny Editions.

Best of luck bud. I hope you can get a game together.

If you use Tabletop Simulator there is AD&D 2E on the workshop that has the books and character sheets. There are also models and terrain that are fantasy.

Mortmal

Arcane
Because I'm tired of your constant whining about the same thing. I ain't even gonna read that post any further than the part I quoted.

I have never had no problem whatsoever finding players for whatever I want to run, and there are plenty of options available should I desire to just play something. And I live in a very sparsely populated country of less than 6 million people. Yes, 5e might be the most popular game, but there are still uncounted people running and playing other games as well. Stop crying, wipe away the tears and look harder.

This a thousand times. IME even the "tranny edition" is (somewhat) playable with the right people, while public games are mostly filled with people who are too terrible to have any real friends.

Having written that, my group seems to be dead in the water. I've been waiting since December for any one of them to signal any kind of interest in playing anything, nada. I'm sick of always having to be the one to organize games. Lazy fucking bastards.

How the mighty have fallen... Make up your mind and please stop whining like a pussy !

Bara

Arcane
Welp 5e Dragonlance and Spelljammer is officially announced. Hope they don't get the extremely lazy treatment ravenloft got.

Mortmal

Arcane
Welp 5e Dragonlance and Spelljammer is officially announced. Hope they don't get the extremely lazy treatment ravenloft got.

Sweet, looking forward to the level 1-10 adventure book and then forgetting about them entirely.
You may not even have that, just a campaign book with lore and some quest hooks , a small low level adventure.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Sweet, looking forward to the level 1-10 adventure book and then forgetting about them entirely.
You may not even have that, just a campaign book with lore and some quest hooks , a small low level adventure.

What makes you say that? Up til now (ok up to the last time I bought a 5E book) they handled their setting stuff as a campaign hardcover one and done.

In my mind, 5E has horrible products compared to pretty much everything else, but the 5E audience is apparently lapping it up, so what do I know?

Mortmal

Arcane

What makes you say that? Up til now (ok up to the last time I bought a 5E book) they handled their setting stuff as a campaign hardcover one and done.

In my mind, 5E has horrible products compared to pretty much everything else, but the 5E audience is apparently lapping it up, so what do I know?
Now they only publish campaign books and no adventures. I dont remember seeing one after the ravenloft book, nor the mythic odissey of theros one, only indie stuff.

Trithne

Erudite

Cael

Arcane
Interested, yes. Able to depends on time zone differences.
I'm UTC-5.
Australia is UTC+10 :D

East coasters continuing to believe Australia only consists of their states.

You need to find a group of grognards who are equally fond of older editions. Try wargamers, most of them are overweight beards who hate anything made after 1997.
West Australia doesn't want to be part of Australia, so fuck 'em. They are the calitardland of Australia.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I'm UTC-5.

You need to find a group of grognards who are equally fond of older editions. Try wargamers, most of them are overweight beards who hate anything made after 1997.

Someone's salty. Did a New Zealander piss in your corn flakes today or was it a kangaroo?

You need to play real D&D not this Wizards of the Woke D&D In Name Only shit. What's the matter don't you have any taste or class? Naw you're just another fucking retard that's too stupid to play a game that allows you to do things without the rules specifically saying you can do it.

Trithne

Erudite
I'm UTC-5.

Someone's salty. Did a New Zealander piss in your corn flakes today or was it a kangaroo?

You need to play real D&D not this Wizards of the Woke D&D In Name Only shit. What's the matter don't you have any taste or class? Naw you're just another fucking retard that's too stupid to play a game that allows you to do things without the rules specifically saying you can do it.

I haven't played any form of D&D since 2002 for that exact reason, so calm your fucking farm. I don't care for modern D&D's restrictive design and excessive focus on the rules.

I swear to fuck you'd be incapable of organising a pissup without personally attacking someone.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I haven't played any form of D&D since 2002 for that exact reason, so calm your fucking farm. I don't care for modern D&D's restrictive design and excessive focus on the rules.

I swear to fuck you'd be incapable of organising a pissup without personally attacking someone.

That's hilarious since you started it by personally attacking me first you fucking walking advertisement for castration and not polluting the gene pool. Hypocrisy is your name.

Cael

Arcane
I'm UTC-5.

Says the butthurt west shithole motherfucker who attacked the civilised East for not including their traitorous separatist arse in a comment on the Internet.

Codex Year of the Donut
I was listening to someone discuss 5E and they said, when comparing 5E to past editions, (paraphrasing) "dice and rules should get out of the way of having fun" and I can't help but think:
Why do you use dice and rules at all then?

RPGs are basically the only tabletop game where this happens. Imagine if you were playing Monopoly and just decided to ignore half the rules because it "wasn't fun", you're no longer playing monopoly. Yes, people make minor houserule changes, but not to the point of just deciding "oh, I don't like how the dice went" and changing it.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/226710/Star-Frontiers-Alpha-Dawn
We (Wizards) recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website does not reflect the values of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial, and gender prejudice that were commonplace in American society at that time. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. This content is presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength, and we strive to make our D&D products as welcoming and inclusive as possible. This part of our work will never end.
going to find whoever is responsible for this and bully the shit out of them

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength

i always thought "mono" teams were stronger. no caster can survive a hail of dispels or mass grapples. no swarm can survive a rain of fireballs or concentrated cleaves. mixed teams might be more fun, sometimes more flexible for very specific encounters based on special conditions, but stronger? i doubt.

Bara

Arcane
Welp its been confirmed that none of the original creators of Dragonlance and Spelljammer has no involvement in the 5e books whatsoever. Which was to be expected.

So the official books will likely be terrible and such the only good thing to come about this is that they'll probably open up the Dragonlance and Spelljammer settings to the dmsguild third party creators to work with when they're out.

So 5e will continue its latest trend of "the fans will fix it/fill it in!"

Like holy shit I'm expecting the worst after they didn't even bother giving the darklords stat blocks in the ravenloft book.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Welp its been confirmed that none of the original creators of Dragonlance and Spelljammer has no involvement in the 5e books whatsoever. Which was to be expected.

So the official books will likely be terrible and such the only good thing to come about this is that they'll probably open up the Dragonlance and Spelljammer settings to the dmsguild third party creators to work with when they're out.

So 5e will continue its latest trend of "the fans will fix it/fill it in!"

Like holy shit I'm expecting the worst after they didn't even bother giving the darklords stat blocks in the ravenloft book.

You want to know what the fix is? Burn all your 5E DANDINO shit and buy/sail the 7 seas for the original stuff. Fuck Wizards of the Woke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom