Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I blame Critical Role for the undeserved praise and attention 5E received.
This the blue haired trannies and gender fluid xirs choice of D&D edition.

Caim

Arcane
It's been speculated for a while now that WotC might try doing what they did with 4e again by cutting off all third parties that make anything based off of D&D (as they did to Paizo and motivated them to go on to make Pathfinder), by deciding not expand the Open-Gaming License to include their upcoming new edition One D&D.
That's why they've picked that name. There are no other parties involved, there is only One D&D.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Hasbro stock is in the toilet. This will impact some of their decisions for the next version of D&D.

If the digital tools are good, they don't need to kill the OGL to have a stranglehold on supplement sales. They just need to only implement official supplements in the digital tools.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
1668340056648.png

1668340132726.png

1668340169649.png

1668340194820.png

Mar Salazar, one of the relatively small number of Dungeon Masters struggling to keep up with the exploding Dungeon & Dragons community in New York...

The 23-year-old Salazar...

Ok, all of these quotes are pure gold :lol:

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I want to see a percentile breakdown of people who claim to be interested in playing D&D compared to those who follow through. An additional comparison of those who follow through in playing a game other than D&D would be a bonus.

Codex Year of the Donut
if D&D sales figures are anything to go by, the result you'll get is tiny
D&D sales are a tiny blip compared to MTG(hasbro doesn't even include D&D on their reports anymore afaik), so I'd expect D&D to start being developed and marketed like MTG.

Mortmal

Arcane
We can all see that D&D is committing suicide. The real question is if anyone can identify today what will supplant it tomorrow.
video games
what do I win?
You think tabletop will be completely supplanted by videogames the way TV replaced radio drama?
It will , Dming is far too much work preparation and dedication , it is completely incompatible with the modern crowd, it's already hard to get dedicated players able to follow a schedule, so a good DM dont count on it. The 5E books themselves are not meant to be played but read. That's why their adventure are so sketchy are unconvenient to play compare to pathfinder AP or really any third parties now. It will be slow but am 100% sure tabletop rpgs will almost completely vanish , only the niche products will stay. It's all for the best really , back to its nerd niche.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Managed to find the offending hadozee artwork posted on Twitter by someone "literally educated about black stereotypes."
FWXNKnh.jpg

N3V3AYz.jpg
Apparently, that is the fantasy version of this:
vGOsgAX.jpg

xyBA1VU.jpg

fTOBsg2.jpg

uui07ca.jpg
If you aren't seeing the obvious resemblance, you are probably lacking in education about black stereotypes. Hazodee space (ex-)slave monkeys represent African Americans like orcs and drow. Luckily the errata helped fix their problematic lore by removing it. One of the best changes since they cut almost all of the first chapter right from Volo's Guide to Monsters, since almost every paragraph in it was racist, depicting various diverse and marginalised peoples such as beholders, mind flayers, goblinoids, and hags as evil. It's honestly shocking how basically every monster actually represents a real life minority.
Gary Gygax used to go through old books and dictionaries to find new words to use in the game. Now, they go through their own books to find new words to remove from the game. :incline:
I wonder what the Asians think about them whitey leftard cunts cancelling creatures from their mythology...
Frankly, I think it's insulting. They can fuck right off.

The leftards I mean, not the cancelled creatures.

Cael

Arcane
Managed to find the offending hadozee artwork posted on Twitter by someone "literally educated about black stereotypes."
FWXNKnh.jpg

N3V3AYz.jpg
Apparently, that is the fantasy version of this:
vGOsgAX.jpg

xyBA1VU.jpg

fTOBsg2.jpg

uui07ca.jpg
If you aren't seeing the obvious resemblance, you are probably lacking in education about black stereotypes. Hazodee space (ex-)slave monkeys represent African Americans like orcs and drow. Luckily the errata helped fix their problematic lore by removing it. One of the best changes since they cut almost all of the first chapter right from Volo's Guide to Monsters, since almost every paragraph in it was racist, depicting various diverse and marginalised peoples such as beholders, mind flayers, goblinoids, and hags as evil. It's honestly shocking how basically every monster actually represents a real life minority.
Gary Gygax used to go through old books and dictionaries to find new words to use in the game. Now, they go through their own books to find new words to remove from the game. :incline:
I wonder what the Asians think about them whitey leftard cunts cancelling creatures from their mythology...
Frankly, I think it's insulting. They can fuck right off.

The leftards I mean, not the cancelled creatures.
Yeah. Them racist leftard whiteys should be cancelled and shot, and their families hounded to suicide. Fucking intolerant Nazi racists.

Mortmal

Arcane
The change to species is a good thing,one i advised on their discord and they obviously listened. Race ? that just mean nothing , impossible to define it. When you mix an human and a dwarf you get a mull gladiator like rikus in dark sun. A sterile half dwarf gladiator, that gives us a more interisting character already.
The biggest issue with wotc products like strix haven is they are very sketchy , have non functional battlemaps(no dorms) and just doesnt bother to elaborate rules exactly like for spelljammer . They add a harry potter like game in their magic academia but doesnt even bother to write rules...But yes you now have 250 npcs you can romance.

Mortmal

Arcane
You know guys if all you get here is shitty ratings no discussions at all, the place will be dead soon. Frankly, i am losing patience the place has declined far too much and no one will interact at all with you soon. I get better in niche discords rpg channels.

Unwanted

SunKing

He/Him
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex Year of the Donut
5th edition is better then 4th edition for sure. It was also hailed as a throwback to older school editions at release but that seems to be forgotten nowadays. I have been reading 5th edition rules side by side with B/X rules and honestly think its not that bad.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
5th edition is better then 4th edition for sure. It was also hailed as a throwback to older school editions at release but that seems to be forgotten nowadays. I have been reading 5th edition rules side by side with B/X rules and honestly think its not that bad.

Smashing your testicles with a sledgehammer and a rubber mallet still hurts your nuts. The rubber mallet just hurts less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom