Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
You'll notice how hard they're pushing video game mentions in their promos the last few months. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are specifically mentioned when talking about Forgotten Realms. Etcetera. They know where their real pay piggies are. Books could never sell like games.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron

A New Starter Set for the Revised Rules​

Whether you’re new to the game or bringing friends into the fold, the Fall 2025 starter set is a beginner-friendly introduction to D&D. Based on the past ten years of play, we’ve revamped the new player experience to kick off your adventures with ease regardless of your experience level.

Heroes of the Borderlands (working title) makes it easy to start playing D&D in minutes with a quick-start guide; intuitive, component-centric character creation; and a modular, introductory adventure. It reimagines B2: The Keep on the Borderlands—a classic introductory D&D adventure—for use with this boxed set by splitting the adventure into three self-contained booklets: the Caves of Chaos, the Keep on the Borderlands, and the Wilderness. Each booklet includes a short tutorial to help new and returning players learn as they go. A how-to-play video will also accompany the release.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1807-d-d-direct-recap-a-look-at-two-forgotten-realms#new-starter-set

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
Interesting trend I'm noticing is that they seem to skew more towards modular adventure design rather than big adventure books. A couple in the DMG iirc, ten in the Dragon Anthology, three in the Starter Set and probably one for each of the five settings in the Forgotten Realms DMG.

Hope would be that it's because they're actually listening to the community, but something tells me that this is a way they can monetize nickel-and-dime modules for their VTT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom