Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
7Ca8vDb.png

FugueLah

Scholar
https://rpgbot.net/2024-dnd-5e-tran...nt-in-the-new-players-handbook/#spell-changes

Full list of 5.24 changes. Notably no chages to Forcecage, no changes to Spirit Guardians, rogues now can't pick Arcane Lock. This edition was made by casterfags.
it's almost like martial classes just straight up sucked for years, when compared to casters or even half-casters for that matter
I think the main issue with this is only having 1 or 2 combat encounters a session/long rest.

Lariko.Sch

Literate
https://rpgbot.net/2024-dnd-5e-tran...nt-in-the-new-players-handbook/#spell-changes

Full list of 5.24 changes. Notably no chages to Forcecage, no changes to Spirit Guardians, rogues now can't pick Arcane Lock. This edition was made by casterfags.
it's almost like martial classes just straight up sucked for years, when compared to casters or even half-casters for that matter
I think the main issue with this is only having 1 or 2 combat encounters a session/long rest.
yeah, i was playing a pala/sorc last night and absolutely demolished the combat encounters, mainly because i spent all the high level spells, while the other, newer players were afraid to use their resources.
except for the barbarian, who came to our gc to ask "why am i doing so little damage?" and the gm didn't had the heart to tell him that martial classes are way outclassed by casters on 5e.

i've talked a bit with him, saying that people usually multiclass barbarian with warrior(mainly the champion archetype) for the critical hits, but this wouldn't fit his character.
so the guy is at a crossroad, having to choose between playing the character he wants or just straight up suck at the only thing he's supossed to be good at.

I'm discussing with the dm, finding ways to buff his damage/utility and such, because doing so little damage compared to anybody else can be very frustrating, specially when you're the huge, raging barbarian.

Mortmal

Arcane

yeah, i was playing a pala/sorc last night and absolutely demolished the combat encounters, mainly because i spent all the high level spells, while the other, newer players were afraid to use their resources.
except for the barbarian, who came to our gc to ask "why am i doing so little damage?" and the gm didn't had the heart to tell him that martial classes are way outclassed by casters on 5e.

i've talked a bit with him, saying that people usually multiclass barbarian with warrior(mainly the champion archetype) for the critical hits, but this wouldn't fit his character.
so the guy is at a crossroad, having to choose between playing the character he wants or just straight up suck at the only thing he's supossed to be good at.

I'm discussing with the dm, finding ways to buff his damage/utility and such, because doing so little damage compared to anybody else can be very frustrating, specially when you're the huge, raging barbarian.
Martial classes are not underpowered in 5E; you don't need to tweak or buff anything if you follow the rules correctly. The key is to chain several encounters before allowing a long rest. However, it seems that many people find this unintuitive or too complex to manage, leading to improper implementation. If this approach doesn't suit you, consider using Pathfinder 2E, where characters are often at full health and full resources for every encounter.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Not having long enough encounters between rest periods is a thing from the dawn of DnD. That had always been the primary reason why casters have always had the reputation of being better than martial classes, and also a reason why many prefer low levels to high levels. It is an encounter creation skill issue. Next time, have the players run through a gauntlet style contest, where they have to run through a massive maze/arena, all the while racing against other teams to get to the end, because only the first team gets to leave the place alive. Let's see how the typical caster player deal with that.

Mortmal

Arcane
Not having long enough encounters between rest periods is a thing from the dawn of DnD. That had always been the primary reason why casters have always had the reputation of being better than martial classes, and also a reason why many prefer low levels to high levels. It is an encounter creation skill issue. Next time, have the players run through a gauntlet style contest, where they have to run through a massive maze/arena, all the while racing against other teams to get to the end, because only the first team gets to leave the place alive. Let's see how the typical caster player deal with that.
You don't deserve your possibly retarded tag; it's actually a good idea for an adventure. In a gauntlet with sparse resources, martial characters will definitely have a chance to shine, and the party may even have to do something that's unthinkable nowadays—avoid combat. There's also a reason why some systems award XP for treasure or milestones for reaching a chapter in the adventure: it encourages alternative problem-solving instead of relying solely on combat.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't deserve your possibly retarded tag
Yeah he's not possibly retarded. He's impossibly retarded.
I'm sorry Cael bro it had to be done.
In all seriousness though, I guess ol' E. G. Gygax had the right idea in awarding xp based on treasure found(and caroused away? Not sure that was in from the start)

Mortmal

Arcane
No, carousing was not implemented in AD&D; you find it in OSR systems. It was inspired by old-school literature, like the books of Fritz Leiber, where Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are always spending everything they have. The same goes for Robert E. Howard's books—Conan never held on to anything for long.

J1M

Arcane

There's probably a feat like sharpshooter that he's missing. Other points still valid.

Does he have a way of attacking with his bonus action? Surprise round or spell combo into a coup de grace?

It's 5e so there's probably also a goofy way to use an athletics check as a substitute for something else if there's few opportunities to bull rush enemies off a cliff.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In all seriousness though, I guess ol' E. G. Gygax had the right idea in awarding xp based on treasure found(and caroused away? Not sure that was in from the start)
You might be thinking of the Dragon Magazine article (#10, October 1977) by Jon Pickens titled "Too much loot in your campaign? D&D Option: Orgies, Inc", in which experience for treasure wasn't gained until money was spent, rather than when the treasure was obtained.

The first five versions of Dungeons & Dragons awarded experience points primarily for treasure obtained and secondarily for monsters defeated. The most important change introduced by AD&D 2nd edition was to relegate treasure XP to an optional rule, while now awarding XP primarily for achievement of arbitrary goals determined by the Dungeon Master. This was easily overlooked by existing D&D groups, who could simply continue awarding XP as before (especially since treasure XP was still mentioned, if only in a separate box as an option), but it did reflect an ongoing trend in RPGs towards railroading and plot-based adventures.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
*casts Change Sex on the barbarian*
It's OK, Sonja.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's OK, Sonja.
Sorry bro I still identify as a dude. :lol:

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's OK, Sonja.
I can't deadname you, dude. That would have Woketards of the Cunts on my ass so fast that you've won't be able to finish "you're pregnant" before they are done. So, Sonja it is :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
It's OK, Sonja.
I can't deadname you, dude. That would have Woketards of the Cunts on my ass so fast that you've won't be able to finish "you're pregnant" before they are done. So, Sonja it is :lol:
Nevermind, I bullied a mage into casting Greatest Dispel.
Wait a fucking minute you cast a spell. That makes you a goddamn mage. :x

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's OK, Sonja.
Nevermind, I bullied a mage into casting Greatest Dispel.
Wait a fucking minute you cast a spell. That makes you a goddamn mage. :x
*cough* + *you didn't see this*

deuxhero

Arcane

Play a better system.

ind33d

Learned
awarding XP primarily for achievement of arbitrary goals determined by the Dungeon Master
an actually good idea, no wonder Wizards of the Coast axed it

imagine if in 5e you got experience for achieving feats of heroism for the god you worshiped instead of having gay sex

Alex

Arcane
You might be thinking of the Dragon Magazine article (#10, October 1977) by Jon Pickens titled "Too much loot in your campaign? D&D Option: Orgies, Inc", in which experience for treasure wasn't gained until money was spent, rather than when the treasure was obtained.

The first five versions of Dungeons & Dragons awarded experience points primarily for treasure obtained and secondarily for monsters defeated. The most important change introduced by AD&D 2nd edition was to relegate treasure XP to an optional rule, while now awarding XP primarily for achievement of arbitrary goals determined by the Dungeon Master. This was easily overlooked by existing D&D groups, who could simply continue awarding XP as before (especially since treasure XP was still mentioned, if only in a separate box as an option), but it did reflect an ongoing trend in RPGs towards railroading and plot-based adventures.
Quest XP was always a bad idea in my opinion, but I do think that the class (and race at least in Darksun) XP guidelines could have been well used. To be clear, I am talking about specific XP rewards that were given for doing specific things based on your class. The idea itself had, I think, a lot of potential. But I believe the xp rewards were mostly rather minor and I've never seen a group that bothered with them. A somewhat similar idea was used in two interesting systems, but sadly I've never had the opportunity to play them. One was Hackmaster 4th edition, which had a similar system to reward or remove honour. It was a bit stupid sometimes, but I suspect it could really change the flavour of the game if played straight. The other is in Aces & Eights, where you would gain some advantages for completing certain tasks associated with your profession.

Mortmal

Arcane
awarding XP primarily for achievement of arbitrary goals determined by the Dungeon Master

imagine if in 5e you got experience for achieving feats of heroism for the god you worshiped instead of having gay sex
You were misled and groomed by an older guy. As a DM, I don't award XP for having gay sex in 5E...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

You were misled and groomed by an older guy. As a DM, I don't award XP for having gay sex in 5E...
Yeah that might be a World of Darkness rule.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Yeah that might be a World of Darkness rule.
I thought everyone knew this. You get bonus starting XP in WoD for being:
- gay
- transgender
- black
- female
- emo
- oppressed background

You get bonus XP for:
- gay sex
- writing an emo poem about how the night is not as dark as your heart
- beating up white men
- raping white men
- enslaving white men

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
https://alphastream.org/index.php/2...ore-book-sensitivity-and-inclusivity-changes/

03b.jpg

02.jpg

06.jpg

Huh why would they change things like that? Are they seeing someone as uncivilized in the real world? Who?

11.jpg

Who are the mentally ill in the real world?

16.jpg

What's the real life analogue here? Who's breeding whom??

18.jpg

19.jpg

23.jpg

No longer should Americans feel targeted.

26.jpg

God forbid someone has a traumatic flashback to slavery some centuries ago, because they were literally there.

Larianshill

Arbiter
"Slave pens" bad, "quarters for enslaved creatures" good. This returns to my point about wokies believing that by changing the label you can somehow change the contents of the box - they renamed "ki" into "martial discipline", but the monk is the same asian kung fu fighter he has always been.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
https://alphastream.org/index.php/2...ore-book-sensitivity-and-inclusivity-changes/

03b.jpg

02.jpg

06.jpg

Huh why would they change things like that? Are they seeing someone as uncivilized in the real world? Who?

11.jpg

Who are the mentally ill in the real world?

16.jpg

What's the real life analogue here? Who's breeding whom??

18.jpg

19.jpg

23.jpg

No longer should Americans feel targeted.

26.jpg

God forbid someone has a traumatic flashback to slavery some centuries ago, because they were literally there.
This is the apotheosis of banal shit boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom