Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Caim

Arcane
Thus the brave adventurers failed the quest:

Op6s65V.jpeg
Me and the boys questing for the legendary Legs of Vecna so that homie can once again walk among the living.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Can someone explain why they are making videos with few random people who are talking about some weird covers?
Also why is everyone black, violet, or some non-white skin color? Like in few years we would see a Marble statues completely painted black otherwise they would be called racists.

And I thought Pathfinder developers with bug eyed elves, developers who are hating males are weird.

deuxhero

Arcane
May be legal CYA. On June 26 Robert Kuntz (who would be included in the statements made in the book that the OG creators were all kinds of ists and isms) made a post noticing the shit WotC was saying about OD&D devs and said that as the last remaining of the original creators
is a burden watching this slanderous episode unfold. And it was done without one bat of the eyelash, a WotC fate accompli, done in such an assumptive manner as if they wield the holy articles on morality which they enact with their reprehensible judge, jury and executioner demeanor
Robilar may be a little aged, but he’s not dead yet. You have made a permanent enemy of many you stupid Coastal Wizards. Let’s see how many real magic cards you hold besides illusory ones; for this battle, neither sought after nor wanted by me and the others, is just beginning.
Which sounds a hell of a lot like "I'm contemplating a lawsuit"

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
May be legal CYA. On June 26 Robert Kuntz (who would be included in the statements made in the book that the OG creators were all kinds of ists and isms) made a post noticing the shit WotC was saying about OD&D devs and said that as the last remaining of the original creators
is a burden watching this slanderous episode unfold. And it was done without one bat of the eyelash, a WotC fate accompli, done in such an assumptive manner as if they wield the holy articles on morality which they enact with their reprehensible judge, jury and executioner demeanor
Robilar may be a little aged, but he’s not dead yet. You have made a permanent enemy of many you stupid Coastal Wizards. Let’s see how many real magic cards you hold besides illusory ones; for this battle, neither sought after nor wanted by me and the others, is just beginning.

Old but I posted it in my own thread about this.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

"What's this, the consequences of my actions?"

Imagine releasing a 50th anniversary book just to slander the original creators and get sued for it, lol. Bunch of clowns.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The thing about racial stat bonuses is that it's lose / lose no matter how they go about it. Stat allocation at the end of the day was never and probably should not be restrained by choice of race and forcing the issue resulted in min-maxing races.

The rise of orc wizards that dump STR is worrying. However it's completely fair on the other hand for a DM to rule that a specific stat allocation doesn't make sense for a particular race if he wants to go for a particular campaign setting.

Lariko.Sch

Literate
The thing about racial stat bonuses is that it's lose / lose no matter how they go about it. Stat allocation at the end of the day was never and probably should not be restrained by choice of race and forcing the issue resulted in min-maxing races.

The rise of orc wizards that dump STR is worrying. However it's completely fair on the other hand for a DM to rule that a specific stat allocation doesn't make sense for a particular race if he wants to go for a particular campaign setting.
Can't wait to play corporate approved my bipoc orc wizard that sits on xer wheelchair all day long

but in all seriousness, they even dumped the different move speed of the races if im not mistaken.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

1st Ed got it right by restricting classes that a race can be. It solved a lot of the race/class min-maxing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Original Dungeons & Dragons had it right by restricting dwarves to being fighting-men, hobbits halflings to being fighting-men, and elves to being multi-classed fighting-men / magic-users. Gary Gygax blundered horribly in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons by permitting a variety of multi-classing possibilities for demi-humans, especially elves and half-elves. Power-hungry AD&D players could opt for an elven fighter/magic-user/thief or a half-elf cleric/fighter/magic-user; even the two-class combinations were overpowered, with the only limitation that the player-character would eventually reach level limits in each class (except thief, which was unlimited in advancement for all but half-orcs).

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Original Dungeons & Dragons had it right by restricting dwarves to being fighting-men, hobbits halflings to being fighting-men, and elves to being multi-classed fighting-men / magic-users. Gary Gygax blundered horribly in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons by permitting a variety of multi-classing possibilities for demi-humans, especially elves and half-elves. Power-hungry AD&D players could opt for an elven fighter/magic-user/thief or a half-elf cleric/fighter/magic-user; even the two-class combinations were overpowered, with the only limitation that the player-character would eventually reach level limits in each class (except thief, which was unlimited in advancement for all but half-orcs).
3.x style class advancement + racial limitations on classes would solve that problem.

Lariko.Sch

Literate
3.x style class advancement + racial limitations on classes would solve that problem.
d&d 3.x is one of the reasons why i enjoy NWN so much

Old One

Arcane

You're correct, but no one I know ever felt limited by the rules to begin with. If they wanted some out-of-bounds class/race combination they just did it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom