Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D5e is coming.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
there is a mytological reference to every corner of the globe.

This is maybe THE staple of large fantasy settings.

When did I say Planescape wasn't original?

You didn't, I used it as an example of a setting that was more original than Eberron yet still stuck in a bunch of clichés.

Also, the love for ToB? In comparison to its mates it was extremely linear, without choices, short and poorly designed.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DnD Initiative? Enworld says code name begins with an "I" Man that sight sucks. I actually support it, but I cant tell you how many anti 4th edition threads i started that got canned. I actually got some decent XP for being a successful troll. Still, its the go to sight for new dnd info i guess.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
D&D "Ioun Stone" would go with the idea of "one basic system supporting many variants", and would incline color-coding the books, I suppose... But whatever, as long as it's not D&D 'ealing Surge ;)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The use of the term "Healing Surge" was all I needed to know that 4th edition stunk. Trying to explain this to someone who doesn't understand can be harder than it seams though.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Credit where credit is due: "Healing Surge" is a great euphemism for censored boards though - e.g. Looking at the rosy cheeks of your virginal Level 1 party, Strahd can't help himself, and shudders blissfully through a premature healing surge (taken from a now canceled 4th edition Ravenloft draft) or Man, just thinking about getting my grubby paws on a Holy Avenger gives me a healing surge etc. :whistle:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i-xTWHDNT-L.jpg

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
D&D "Ioun Stone" would go with the idea of "one basic system supporting many variants", and would incline color-coding the books, I suppose...

That's actually very cool. Black for Dark Fantasy. White/Yellow for Heroic. Red for Tactical/HnS. Blue for Economic&Politics. Green for Bizzare.

Captain Shrek

Setting aside the obviously darned DnD shitlore, 3.5 was the best version to hit cRPGs.

Alex

Arcane
Personally, I think 3E is a pretty poor edition of D&D. I mean, there is just too much focus on the combat and on making sure the characters are somehow equivalent and useful in that field. All other editions, however flawed, had some kind of charm that made them worthwhile in my opinion. 3E had some pretty good ideas too, but the obsession in making everything fit the level framework and making things "balanced" overshadow those ideas.

Incantatar

Cipher
Personally, I think 3E is a pretty poor edition of D&D. I mean, there is just too much focus on the combat and on making sure the characters are somehow equivalent and useful in that field. All other editions, however flawed, had some kind of charm that made them worthwhile in my opinion. 3E had some pretty good ideas too, but the obsession in making everything fit the level framework and making things "balanced" overshadow those ideas.
>3E
>Balanced

You mean Pathfinder? They tried heavily to balance it ... and failed. (Still a lot better than the shitbag 4e)
But D&D was never balanced at higer levels, so what? I always prefered low level games and had a lot of fun with that.

deuxhero

Arcane
In a lot of ways, PF's balance is worse (Fighters have some of their best options removed, with the improved X line being split into mutiple feats for no damn reason and Horizon Walker no longer being core AND its DD is /day instead of every 1d4 rounds)

Alex

Arcane
yes that was exactly the kind of magical argument I was refering to

Well, I probably sound like a broken record by now, but here is the basic of what I liked in different D&D editions. If you actually want to argue any of them, just say so:

OD&D: Although the many versions of the old D&D, from the White Box one to the Rules Cyclopedia, vary a lot in tone and content, their greatest strength is still the same I think. Basically, these books give you lots of little "set pieces", like spells, magic items, monsters, thief skills, dungeon building rules, keep rules, etc. They never, however, give you the "whole game". Instead, it is up to each game group to go creating rulings according to their approach to the exploration. Saying the system is good for not defining things, leaving the players to define them themselves, is stupid, of course. But the thing is that the set pieces help you flesh out the games and give you an idea of how to make your own rulings and house rules. Lots of these pieces suggest things, but never spell it out. Is your group interested in courtly intrigue and the politics of thieves' guilds? Then the GM will probably come up with good rules/tables/whatever to deal with these situations. Maybe something like Vornheim's nobleperson random table. You can see that too in the dungeon design, where the book is more concerned in making the GM understand what is in each room rather than explaining all possible consequences of the PC's action.

AD&D, 1st Edition: The first edition of AD&D suffers from a few poorly designed rules. The weapons vs AC rule, for example, could probably have been substituted by something a lot simpler. The organization of the book is pretty bad and it seems the designers are trying to lash out in every direction as to keep the players from making house rules themselves to cover possible, unexpected situations. Still, the "charm" here is that, in addition to the set pieces from before (to which this edition makes some additions), you also have a very good glimpse into how Gary and the other people in TSR approached their own rulings. The way he is always trying to create problems to the players while using verisimilitude as an excuse. The best way to play a long campaign of AD&D is, in my opinion, to wipe away most of the rules in the game so it is almost like OD&D again. Then, keep working on the rulings with the "Gygaxian way" in mind, making the world more detailed than what OD&D would have been but still keeping player conflict as the focus.

AD&D, 2nd Edition: This one has a lot of detractors, and I agree with them in a lot of things. Maybe this actually started mid-way through the 1st edition, but somewhere along the line, verisimilitude stopped being an excuse and started being a goal in itself. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but since the game had a very heavy luggage, it meant that the new priorities and the old ones would conflict, frequently making what was published for it not a lot of fun. And while some pretty awesome campaign settings date from this edition, the modules from this edition are also frequently very railroady. But the thing I like in this edition is when the meshing of the exploration of the setting and the challenging of the player characters do come together. For example, when the game pieces from the earlier editions are mixed with setting pieces of the new edition to create a setting that, while not completely serious or "realistic", is still very detailed and allows for the player's imaginations to be challenged. A concrete example of that can be seen in Planescape:Torment, where the various bits, like spells, weapons and proficiencies, were linked to the setting.

Alex

Arcane
>3E
>Balanced

You mean Pathfinder? They tried heavily to balance it ... and failed. (Still a lot better than the shitbag 4e)
But D&D was never balanced at higer levels, so what? I always prefered low level games and had a lot of fun with that.

I never played high level 3E, or any of its variants, to be honest. My problem is that the concern with balance and unification of methods removed from the game some of the things I liked the most about it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh horror, there is no balance in my single player CRPG or in my P&P RPG! WHAT CAN BE DONE? This is an outrage!

You only need balance for competitive PvP, END OF RHINE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom