Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

aries202

Erudite
Didn't Bethesday say, when asked, that thet lost the source code to Daggerfall when they moved offices some years ago? I still don't get how one would or could lose a source code to a game. It is not like it as physical object that could be thrown out...

Most like scenario is that they still have it somewhere, but they haven't registered it properly.
As for this mod, I think, it looks very interesting...

bhlaab

Erudite
I heard that they just don't have the rights to distribute all the middleware they used

Luzur

Good Sir
if i remember correctly it is the Xngine that they dont have all the rights for.

but yeah they said they lost the code but i guess it is just lies so they dont have to let Daggerfall free like they did with Arena.

aries202

Erudite
Luzur said:
if i remember correctly it is the Xngine that they dont have all the rights for.

but yeah they said they lost the code but i guess it is just lies so they dont have to let Daggerfall free like they did with Arena.

People lose thing when they move....I once lost a portable radio my grandmother had given me this way...

However, it could still just have dispappeared; things and cases and source codes which aren't registered correctly are, in fact, lost. And then, sometimes, when they do a bit of cleaning, theyve found it...

Suchy

Arcane
Daggerfall was a very dull and incredibly boring game. The guy has way too much spare time.

xuerebx

Erudite
aries202 said:
Didn't Bethesday say, when asked, that thet lost the source code to Daggerfall when they moved offices some years ago? I still don't get how one would or could lose a source code to a game. It is not like it as physical object that could be thrown out...

It's a rumour actually. I forgot how it originated.

Most probably they don't want to release the game for free because of its mature content. Pete Hines had said they'll never release it for free, and that's the only plausible reason I can think of (well not me, what we agreed upon on the forums).

Ferital

Novice
xuerebx said:
aries202 said:

It's a rumour actually. I forgot how it originated.

Most probably they don't want to release the game for free because of its mature content. Pete Hines had said they'll never release it for free, and that's the only plausible reason I can think of (well not me, what we agreed upon on the forums).

Indeed that's only a persistent rumor, since there's no proof at all Bethesda said that.

xuerebx

Erudite
Indeed. Can't wait for it to be released.

Been playing DF for the past four hours, woot.

denizsi

Arcane
LOL, this project is pathetic. There are shitloads of stat calculations in game's core and this guy has yet to implement proper collision FFS. At least it may be fun to watch it go down burning.

luciusDXL

Educated
denizsi said:
LOL, this project is pathetic. There are shitloads of stat calculations in game's core and this guy has yet to implement proper collision FFS. At least it may be fun to watch it go down burning.
Normally I wouldn't bother to respond to such a caustic post, especially considering that you've probably already made up your mind about the project without looking at all the facts. However I want to point out why I think you're wrong for the benefit of others though I don't expect to change your mind.

If you look at the latest movies, here you can clearly see collision, you can see the character going up and down stairs, slopes and even riding an elevator. You can see plenty of raycasting as well, activating objects in the game world.

And I apologize if the project hasn't been progressing fast enough for you but work on this began at the end of June (24 or 25th) and I announced it June 28 on Elderscrolls. So I have to ask, how fast does a project have to progress to avoid being "pathetic"?

Micmu

Magister
Nice!
I'll reserve my comments up until I see some re-mastered boobies because that's what kept me tormenting myself through the bugfest-ed original.
Very ambitious project, keep up the good work.

denizsi

Arcane
luciusDXL said:
Normally I wouldn't bother to respond to such a caustic post

So you're on your period?

If you look at the latest movies, here you can clearly see collision, you can see the character going up and down stairs, slopes and even riding an elevator. You can see plenty of raycasting as well, activating objects in the game world.

Goals #5 and #27 out of 5345085 has been implemented. Alright!

And I apologize

Apology accepted. Normally I'd like you to suck my balls, too, but I feel like being nice today.

if the project hasn't been progressing fast enough for you but work on this began at the end of June (24 or 25th) and I announced it June 28 on Elderscrolls. So I have to ask, how fast does a project have to progress to avoid being "pathetic"?

I don't mean to be offensive, I just am. This isn't about how fast it is, but the starting point of such a project, the methodology. Correct me if I'm wrong; you seem to be building a new game engine for the original content and you're mostly guided by your intuition in making this new engine as similar to the original game as possible. Yes, a basic tech demo where you can walk and look around and perform basic interaction using original assets is nice, though misleading. Have you figured out or maybe even reverse engineered what's behind merely walking stats-wise? What can be observed in current videos is just a little more than making and running around in custom Daggerfall maps in a FPS game.

Have you laid out a roadmap for yourself, have you documented all known game mechanics, prioritized between them? You have implemented weapon swings. What comes next? Jump off to an entirely different feature, or get deep into the how weapon swings differ? Have you written out what stats affects what in what ways? Are you doing it systematically or wherever the wind blows from?

For instance, there's a huge, simply a huge, list that contains reputation values between individual NPCs, factions and areas. Any idea how any of that works in the game? Have you figured out why when I sometimes ask a merchant for a job, he tells me to get lost?

Maybe you do indeed have all these finer details in your mind, but looking at your website, it looks more like Daggerfall Renderer than a Daggerfall Rebuilder. It's been tried before, and failed miserably. Simply looking at a renderer and being positive about it is naive. Otherwise, I don't have anything against anyone who tries.

Maybe you'd like to contact Interkarma and make an offer/ask for help? He's been reverse-engineering the game, documenting every bit of the game. He's still doing it, except he no longer has an intention to rewrite the whole engine.

denizsi

Arcane
Also, unless you add an option to run it at original resolution with none of that filtering nonsense, at its pixelated glory, this project is a fail. I can't stand seeing low resoluton textures stretched to fit high resolutions.

luciusDXL

Educated
denizsi said:
luciusDXL said:
Normally I wouldn't bother to respond to such a caustic post

So you're on your period?

Goals #5 and #27 out of 5345085 has been implemented. Alright!

And I apologize

Apology accepted. Normally I'd like you to suck my balls, too, but I feel like being nice today.

if the project hasn't been progressing fast enough for you but work on this began at the end of June (24 or 25th) and I announced it June 28 on Elderscrolls. So I have to ask, how fast does a project have to progress to avoid being "pathetic"?

I don't mean to be offensive, I just am. This isn't about how fast it is, but the starting point of such a project, the methodology. Correct me if I'm wrong; you seem to be building a new game engine for the original content and you're mostly guided by your intuition in making this new engine as similar to the original game as possible. Yes, a basic tech demo where you can walk and look around and perform basic interaction using original assets is nice, though misleading. Have you figured out or maybe even reverse engineered what's behind merely walking stats-wise? What can be observed in current videos is just a little more than making and running around in custom Daggerfall maps in a FPS game.

Have you laid out a roadmap for yourself, have you documented all known game mechanics, prioritized between them? You have implemented weapon swings. What comes next? Jump off to an entirely different feature, or get deep into the how weapon swings differ? Have you written out what stats affects what in what ways? Are you doing it systematically or wherever the wind blows from?

For instance, there's a huge, simply a huge, list that contains reputation values between individual NPCs, factions and areas. Any idea how any of that works in the game? Have you figured out why when I sometimes ask a merchant for a job, he tells me to get lost?

Maybe you do indeed have all these finer details in your mind, but looking at your website, it looks more like Daggerfall Renderer than a Daggerfall Rebuilder. It's been tried before, and failed miserably. Simply looking at a renderer and being positive about it is naive. Otherwise, I don't have anything against anyone who tries.

Maybe you'd like to contact Interkarma and make an offer/ask for help? He's been reverse-engineering the game, documenting every bit of the game. He's still doing it, except he no longer has an intention to rewrite the whole engine.
Well this is what I get for responding, oh well, no point in arguing - in your mind the project has already failed apparently.

For everyone else, if you look at the link above you'll see the beginnings of the stat and skill system - which is already used in combat (though there's no AI yet as stated in the blog), the inventory system, the weapon/attack system (gesture based swings, roll to hit based on weapon skill, stat bonuses, and monster AC) and looting. I am implementing game play features as well as the graphics engine. I realize it isn't perfect yet and there are more features to implement but it takes time.

Here is the link if you missed it above denizsi's replies.

Data4

Arcane
:lol:

One of the more entertaining qualities of the Codex is how we can systematically dismantle even the most optimistic yet naive people who pop in with absolutely no idea that we operate differently than the official forum gulags. 1 of 2 things happen. They either realize the shit's too heavy over here and bug out, or they stick around long enough to wind up being yet another cynical bastard to add into the fold.

I've yet to see anyone become an hero over it, though. Oh well. Hey, someone pass the butter, and grab a box of Junior Mints while you're at it.

denizsi

Arcane
luciusDXL said:
Well this is what I get for responding, oh well, no point in arguing - in your mind the project has already failed apparently.

Well, this is what I get for responding and asking legitimate questions regarding your understanding of the depth of the game's core mechanics; no point in arguing - in your mind, I've already judged and executed the project of being a failure for absolutely nothing...

Reading comprehension = NONE. You don't reply to one single question, and then you go about playing the martyr. Congratulations, you'll fit in perfectly with the NeoCodexers who cheer at anything, find something positive in anything, show support for anything and suffer from OCS - Oversensitive Crybaby Syndrome-, getting offended and hurt by simple questions, ie. a bunch of shit-worshipping faggots.

With such a simplifier mentality, one can only hope that you won't rape Daggerfall out of total, not ignorance, but illiteracy.

luciusDXL

Educated
denizsi said:
luciusDXL said:

Well, this is what I get for responding and asking legitimate questions regarding your understanding of the depth of the game's core mechanics; no point in arguing - in your mind, I've already judged and executed the game of being a failure for absolutely nothing. Reading comprehension = NONE. You don't reply to one single question, and then you go about playing the martyr. Congratulations, you'll fit in perfectly with the NeoCodexers who cheer at anything, find something positive in anything, show support for anything and suffer from OCS - Oversensitive Crybaby Syndrome-, getting pissed off at simple questions, ie. a bunch of shit-worshipping faggots.

With such a simplifier mentality, one can only hope that you won't rape Daggerfall out of total, not ignorance, but illiteracy.
As much negativity as there is in your posts and as quick as you are to deem the project "pathetic" there is nothing I can say to change your mind, or at least that's the way it seems. If there is then I think you'd have been more open minded and asked your questions to begin with rather then slinging insults. So what's the point of arguing? If you had asked these questions in a civil manner then I would respond in kind. My mistake was responding to your first "caustic" post - which I will not make again. If you wish to have a civil conversation then talk to me like a human being, not like some idiot who irritates you. If the requirement of some basic respect and civility makes me a "NeoCodexer", then so be it.

Now if you want to start again and talk like adults we can, if not then I have nothing else to discuss with you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom