Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Envoy - guns n' sorcery RTwP RPG by Tower of Time developer

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some reviews have dropped, and they aren't making my expectations of the game any higher after having played the demo.

A skip for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/dark_envoy?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/945770/view/3728476412318726512

Dark Envoy is live

Dear Players,

Our team is excited and proud to share the result of many years of hard work with you.

Dark Envoy is our attempt to breathe new life into the RPG genre by creating a more dynamic gameplay experience and introducing our own RPG systems that encourage creativity and experimentation. We aim for players to feel as if they are in a sandbox of possibilities.

As an independent, self-funded company without a publisher, we had the freedom to take such risks and break away from genre norms. We know this approach comes with its challenges, but we believe that without risks, there can be no great adventure.

We hope you enjoy our game!

Thank you.
Event Horizon Team

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They can miss me with that RTwP shit.
Tsk tsk, if you won't play this game then who will?
Even though I threatened to write a review of Tower of Time a couple of years ago, I never mustered the motivation to have a go at the game again. Now that I'm a couple of years wiser, I'm almost entirely over RTwP as a concept, let alone as an actual thing I'd waste my gaming time on. On top of that, I remember the writing of ToT being so close to something truly engaging but dropping the ball hard through most of it. I wouldn't want to go through that again, especially if I have to tolerate a RTwP system to do it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm rooting for these guys 'cause I enjoyed Tower of time, but RPG devs really need start hiring different artists for their stuff.

Everything started blending together years ago and now my brain just instinctively hates it.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
I'm confused, fellow codexers' impressions of the demo and the critics' reviews aren't good, yet the game still manages to get very positive reviews on Steam for now (granted, the number of reviews is still low), guess despite its many shortcomings the game must have done something right that strikes a chord with players then.

PMUO6RI.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
is it a wave based like the other game ?
Fights do not happen in an arena. You fight enemies directly in the game world, while exploring.

They may have improved the game, but my impression from the demo left a sour taste in my mouth.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Well from my perspective its mainly because of combat, that is the meatof this game. Choices are binary, you cant ask NPCs about anything and unless the current quest allows it you cant even interact with them, cities are small hubs with 3 trading npc ( normal eq, relics and magic eq ) and have no real exploration.
Sound design is very weak, there is no separate combat music, what you hear at the start of mission you will hear at the end of it, maybe bosses have some but i cant remember it.
Besides main missions there are random dungeons with guarranted unique item, itemisation is very weak with diablo loot system and stupid things like spiders dropping gold.
This game reminds me of a weird party based diablo with tactical pause and mission based randomly generated dungeons ( like in Warframe), in theory for that alone i would drop the game but combat feels really satisfying.
I just arrived to Free Phoenicia so things could open in the future but i doubt it.
Oh and there is also crafting, enchanting and research system.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmm the setting seems very boring and generic to me. Not in the mood of a "muh humies evul epyre,killz poor noble savages" idiocy.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
very positive reviews on Steam for now
tower of time was a surprise, mainly due to good story.
Compare reviews of two games, so far I dont see any story praises and people seem to focus on gameplay improvements over tower

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
very positive reviews on Steam for now
tower of time was a surprise, mainly due to good story.
Compare reviews of two games, so far I dont see any story praises and people seem to focus on gameplay improvements over tower
Story and exploration,the combat is garbo. This one seems to have the bad combat while not having any of the good parts .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom