Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Dark Forces remaster from Nightdive Studios

Seriously? I find that incredibly stupid. The one most important thing to make this game more accessible - especially for a "modern" audience - is the possibility to save the game.
"Modern audience" don't even know anymore how to manual save.

Dark Forces was a notable exception in PC gaming in the '90s in the fact that it didn't have manual saves. Probably this was made to pad the total lenght of the game. DF has only 14 levels, i.e. less than half the average number of levels in other FPSes from those years. As far as I remember the '97 sequel re-introduced saves.
Yeah, it was one of the few games to "feature" the lack of manual saves. That's why I ended "laimlameing" my way through the game at some point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dark Forces was a notable exception in PC gaming in the '90s in the fact that it didn't have manual saves. Probably this was made to pad the total lenght of the game. DF has only 14 levels, i.e. less than half the average number of levels in other FPSes from those years. As far as I remember the '97 sequel re-introduced saves.
Number of levels doesn't matter, it's not any shorter than any other fps from that period. It was a design decision that would actually make the game a bit more forgiving (you respawn at a checkpoint with 100 life and shields and there are multiple checkpoints in any given level) if not for those levels with instakill platforming sections that can potentially sap all your lives and make you start over again.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Played about 3 levels of the remaster over the last couple of days. Originally tried the Force Engine source port but the save anywhere feature seemed too convenient and enabling of lowly save scummers like myself (an ongoing battle of a bad habit I'm trying desperately to break). Looks, runs and plays good, surprisingly well on a controller (but not ideal... it is, after all, an FPS). Don't see any reason to go back to the source engine ports if you can get this when on discount. I'm taking a break from playing this however because my pride only allows me to play on Hard, and trying to do that on a controller with No Save Anywhere is murder on the old balls of this ancient gamer. Playing Battlefront II Classic instead. However, I always wanted to play DF so I may come back to it, on Medium difficulty *walks away head down in shame*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom