Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Dark Forces remaster from Nightdive Studios

jedi academy is still better though. the best lightsaber-centric combat game for sure

deuxhero

Arcane
I replay Jedi Academy all the time and not DF2/MotS/JO because the level design there is just bad. It is not a "need to use your brain" thing either, as the levels simply do not follow consistent rules: One level might establish that a particular energy field effect makes your shots bounce off it, but the next level require you destroy objects with that same energy field effect to progress. One level in Outcast requires you mind trick an officer behind a window to open a door for you, but you are never given any indication this is even a possible option since, besides being the only instance of the (fairly old) power interacting with NPCs like this, it and other powers otherwise don't work through windows like it does here (I think mechanically there's actually an invisible activator on your side of the window). DF2 and MotS get points for building levels with both minimum level and maximum level Force Speed/Force Jump in mind, sometimes letting you bypass large section of level, but the cons outweight the pros.

-M-

Educated
Jedi Outcast also had some convoluted level design

The reason for this is because nearly every level is designed around a central 'hub' with multiple branches. Each branch leads to a key that opens the next branch. So it's a linear affair but you're forced to backtrack constantly and if you aren't paying attention you'll retread some already completed branch that goes nowhere.

It was interesting to see that this was the design philosophy they decided to apply to the entire game (outside the final levels and maybe parts of Cloud City).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
jedi academy is still better though. the best lightsaber-centric combat game for sure

Fuck lightsaber combat. I prefer the pew pew.
Why not both?
One of the reasons Jedi Knight series is so awesome is that there is a balance between good shooting (oldschool FPS Dark Forces and Id Tech Engine powered later games) and great lightsaber combat.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I love how all the things Digital Foundry gushed about were effectively DarkXL features lol
I hate that channel. Biased as fuck and obvious paid adverts.

$30 for this shit can you believe it. We have this for free. AUD$45 on Switch - quoted from E-store. This game is ancient. ffs

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1709148653460.png

Go fuck yourself.

And why should I pay over 30 bucks when I can continue using TFE with all its enhancements? Can't see any reason. Does this thing even support saving during levels?

And why should I pay over 30 bucks when I can continue using TFE with all its enhancements? Can't see any reason. Does this thing even support saving during levels?

It doesn't. Tried the "Demo" version, and I can assure it absolutely isn't worth it. Just play the original with TFE.
Seriously? I find that incredibly stupid. The one most important thing to make this game more accessible - especially for a "modern" audience - is the possibility to save the game. They didn't include it. Who is their target audience? Yeah, I'll stay with TFE.

Deadyawn

Learned
It was 30 a few hours ago, but now it seems they've dropped the price to 10 dollars. Regional pricing for Argentina, maybe?

DemonKing

Arcane
Gave it a whirl this morning - I never played the original back in the day due to a lack of a decent PC at the time (but played everything from Dark Forces 2 on).

It's a decent if basic boomer shooter. Not really up there with the Quake II remaster from last year but it is kind of fun when you open a door and are confronted with a literal horde of enemies as modern engines seem incapable of rendering too many enemies on screen at once.

The price they're asking is ridiculous though - should be $10-$15 max.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Lucrative Disney contracts can get fkd. That damn mouse is sitting there on a throne made of the skulls of his enemies, cackling in a thunderstorm.

Im still waiting on Nightdive to release the System Shock 1.2 patch which is being held back for consoles which is already steep descent.

Then they can go ahead and remaster SS2 properly so those two classics can play well together - THEN Ill buy a remake of the Jedi Knight series. Fkers.

janior

Arcane
Patron
30$ for 30 year old game lol, obviously anyone sensible pirates old games but still nightdive is a bunch of parasites

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

It doesn't. Tried the "Demo" version, and I can assure it absolutely isn't worth it. Just play the original with TFE.
Seriously? I find that incredibly stupid. The one most important thing to make this game more accessible - especially for a "modern" audience - is the possibility to save the game. They didn't include it. Who is their target audience? Yeah, I'll stay with TFE.
It does bring up an interesting thought. The game was never really hard, outside of one level, but can modern gamers stand even an easy oldschool game if they can't constantly save?

KeAShizuku

Novice
Let's be real who the fuck IS the target audience of a 1994 game? Nostalgia fag boomers that's who.

Zlaja

Arcane
but can modern gamers stand even an easy oldschool game if they can't constantly save?

Most "modern gamers" expect frequent autosaves, while it's mostly old-school PC gamers that expect to be able to save anywhere manually. Not being able to save during a level reminds me the most of playing old PSX and N64 games.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Seriously? I find that incredibly stupid. The one most important thing to make this game more accessible - especially for a "modern" audience - is the possibility to save the game.
"Modern audience" don't even know anymore how to manual save.

Dark Forces was a notable exception in PC gaming in the '90s in the fact that it didn't have manual saves. Probably this was made to pad the total lenght of the game. DF has only 14 levels, i.e. less than half the average number of levels in other FPSes from those years. As far as I remember the '97 sequel re-introduced saves.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom