Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Dark Forces remaster from Nightdive Studios

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why would anyone buy that when the Force Engine exists?
Not everyone has the patience (or know-how) to install mods
Besides given that it's a Nightdive remaster, it means the game will be released to consoles as well

Just stop already with the fuckin' remasters...
It's ND bread and butter
Might as well ask them to close their studio

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don't mind the remaster since the cut scenes etc... need updating for modern hardware. The original game was 320x200 for DOS mode and 640x480 Mac. That's why everything looks so pixelated on modern hardware.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lol, his aim is worse than the stormtroopers in that trailer - is he playing on a controller

but anyway

:neveraskedforthis:

even more pointless than the quake 2 remaster after the RTX version

lol, his aim is worse than the stormtroopers in that trailer - is he playing on a controller

but anyway

:neveraskedforthis:

even more pointless than the quake 2 remaster after the RTX version
The Quake 2 remaster is better than the RTX version because they reworked the AI and re-rigged the models (and got rid of the wobbly low-precision look). It makes a surprising amount of difference. Plus, the new levels by Machine Games are really good. They're the best Quake 2 levels I've ever played.

It'd be cool if it were possible to retrofit the RTX stuff into this remaster, though.

Dark Forces was pretty cool back in the day. Vast sprawling levels and more stuff to do/use than Doom. I remember liking it a lot, but I haven't played it ever since it was new (almost 30 years ago now), so my memory is probably being too kind.

However, back then I was 15 and Star Wars was cool. Now the very mention of the franchise or anything that reminds me of it brings up a gag reflex, so it makes it significantly harder to engage with anything related to it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I always assumed Dark Forces was an overrated doom clone and not played it. Now that there's a new KEX engine remaster by the absolute geniuses at Nightdive Studios, I'm still aint changin' my ways.

Dark Forces has verticality that Doom lacked. It even beats Duke 3D there as well.

What DF did was fill in the blanks on what happened prior to A New Hope like stealing the Death Star plans then runs parallel to Empire Strikes Back.

It also introduced the Krayt Dragon that was only mentioned in ANH and you have to fight one barehanded.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Dark Forces was pretty cool back in the day. Vast sprawling levels and more stuff to do/use than Doom. I remember liking it a lot, but I haven't played it ever since it was new (almost 30 years ago now), so my memory is probably being too kind.

However, back then I was 15 and Star Wars was cool. Now the very mention of the franchise or anything that reminds me of it brings up a gag reflex, so it makes it significantly harder to engage with anything related to it.

Just do what I do and keep the old EU while putting Disknee's stuff into the poor fan fiction category. In my opinion, the fans decide the canon not the company when said company did all it could to shit over what we love.

grimace

Arcane
Is Nightdive Studios working to put Dark Forces on console game stores?

Modders are unable to publish to Nintendo Switch. Gaymers want ease of access.

Vyadhis

Learned
Oh, another remaster.
Hip hip hurray!
So bloody excited...
Can you feel my excitement?...
Yawn...

Just stop already with the fuckin' remasters...
But how else will a new generation get to experience all these old gems? Their attention spans are too short to google some bug fixes or install a virtual machine. Also their poor baby eyes need everything upscaled to 10X the resolution the game was meant to run at or else they'll whine on the steam forums.

Seriously though, looks like shit.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It also introduced the Krayt Dragon
I think it's a Kell Dragon.
But, yeah, Dark Forces did a lot of things right.

You're right it is a Kell Dragon. Still it's shocking to have all your weapons stripped and having to melee that beast.
Kyle Mothafuckin' Katarn.
Punching Kell Dragons to death and shaving his beard with a lightsaber.

I'm playing DF 1 right now and so far it's as good as I remember. I'm using The Force Engine which makes the game so much easier to play with the standard Doom controls. DF 1's controls were....poor....

I had a blast playing the entire series though.

Vyadhis

Learned
Is it possible to get Dark Forces II running on an XP vmachine at all? I run the JK.exe in the install folder and the farthest I get is the first cutscene then the game crashes. I've messed with 3d acceleration but the only difference is that I'll get a blackscreen with sound effects. Still no go.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is it possible to get Dark Forces II running on an XP vmachine at all? I run the JK.exe in the install folder and the farthest I get is the first cutscene then the game crashes. I've messed with 3d acceleration but the only difference is that I'll get a blackscreen with sound effects. Still no go.
Have you tried DgVoodoo?
Also make sure to install the unofficial patch for both Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/...ight-df2-mots-pre-patched-unofficial-patches/

Vyadhis

Learned
Have you tried DgVoodoo?
Also make sure to install the unofficial patch for both Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/...ight-df2-mots-pre-patched-unofficial-patches/

Thanks, I think that mostly fixed it. Had to fool around with a few mouse setting but it runs now in beautiful 90s polygonal 3d glory.

9z6o288.png

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Have you tried DgVoodoo?

Thanks, I think that mostly fixed it. Had to fool around with a few mouse setting but it runs now in beautiful 90s polygonal 3d glory.
You installed the patches or just messed with DgVoodoo?

Vyadhis

Learned
Have you tried DgVoodoo?

At first I did the patches but it made the game stutter on XP so I uninstalled those but DgVoodoo fixed my other problems.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Have you tried DgVoodoo?

At first I did the patches but it made the game stutter on XP so I uninstalled those but DgVoodoo fixed my other problems.
Cool.
So all runs smoothly then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom