Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
One of SOTFS goals seems to be reducing the "bum rush" effect. Seems to be working, from what I've seen so far.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Yes, rolling into attacks to make better use of iframes is definitely a DS2 exclusive thing. Holy shit, have you even played these games? It's even much easier to do so in DeS and DaS. I'm half convinced the whole Agility idea in DaS2 was an attempt to make this less ubiquitous.

It WAS. I'm pretty sure they even said so. This guy sperging about i-frames, saying "Dark Souls did it better!!!11" makes zero sense, since maxed out agility in DaS2 STILL GIVES YOU LESS I-FRAMES THAN DEFAULT ROLLING IN DARK SOULS.

If anything, Dark Souls 2 nerfed i-frames, forcing people to actually invest on them in order to reap some benefits.

DramaticPopcorn

If anything, Dark Souls 2 nerfed i-frames, forcing people to actually invest on them in order to reap some benefits.
No... it forces people to actually invest in agi because otherwise the game is barely playable

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
No... it forces people to actually invest in agi because otherwise the game is barely playable

No leveling, therefore no AGI investment, no deaths, no bonfires.

GIT GUD!:troll:

Srsly, tho, I agree dodging is very awkward before you get some extra agility, but everything is working fine, people more skilled than you (and me) do it consistently. The way roll-immortality worked in DaS1 was god awful and I'm glad they changed it.

DramaticPopcorn

No leveling, therefore no AGI investment, no deaths, no bonfires.

Yeah and there are people beating the game with a fucking guitar controller or voice recognition software, doesn't make my point any less valid.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I love DaS for it's gameworld design but I have to admit that DaS2 mechanics are better. Almost any build is viable while the same cannot be said about DaS.

It's pointless to argue about which is better cause in the end it doesn't matter: DaS2 mechanics and DaS are customizations of the old combat mechanics inherited from DeS.

On the other hand DaS3 will inherit the combat mechanics from Bloodborne which are new and have little in common with the old engine.

It should be noted that DaS combat is slow paced intentionally while Bloodborne combat is fast paced intentionally.

Well, I did not play Bloodborne and I don't intend to, but I'm pretty sure about one thing: DaS3 will not feel like a DaS game because of this.

Despite smart calibrations there is no way to recreate the exact combat felling in a different engine because different algorithms are working in different ways.

I know that they will try as much as possible to do it but they lie to themselves and all the Miyazaki's raging fans. Also all the famous utubers are lying with a straight face about this (but who wouldn't do it in their place).

I hope I'm wrong and this is only fear of unnecessary changes. But discarding everything from DaS2 betrays a retarded and revengeful attitude.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Yeah and there are people beating the game with a fucking guitar controller or voice recognition software, doesn't make my point any less valid.
It does, actually. Because if the mechanics were unreliable, only insane amounts of luck would allow one to what these people do consistently. AGI mechanics made dodging harder, sure, but don't even try to pretend that it's "broken", unreliable, barely playable or anything like that. It works fine. You think DaS1 did it better? Oukay, you're entitled to your opinion. But that's just it: your opinion. You're free to say "I don't like how they changed the roll", but I'll call bullshit whenever someone says "the new mechanics don't work, muh hitboxesss!!!"

Back OT,

TBH, it's too early to have an opinion about DaS3. I remember the early builds of DaS2, they were completely different from the finished product. And DaS2 at release was completely different from what it is NOW (anyone remember 1-shot hexes?). Gotta remain cautiously optimistic.
One thing is certain, tho: after Scholar we should ALL realize that these guys aren't really "nice" and are not above making cheap cash grabs.

praetor

Arcane
One shit thing about DaS2 combat was that there were definitely WAY more enemies with super high/unreachable levels of poise. All those fucking lion dudes, the giant knights, the mastodon knights, the dwarves, Ruin Sentinels, etc. Pretty much the only enemies with 'low' poise that weren't in the tutorial were the royal sword knights. I suppose maybe the varangian guys too, maybe some mages or some shit?

dwarves definitely have poise. stunned them more than once. and it makes sense for the huge enemies to have huge poise. do you really expect to stagger a huge dude 2-3 times your size with enough armour the weight of a tank and the size to cover a small building with anything? i mean, a zweihender is the size of a shortsword for those dudes... but yeah, those lions are bullshit. anyway, there's plenty of low/no poise enemies in the game besides the tutorial, like most of the regular mooks in the DLCs, or the "undead knights" in the forest, heide knights, a big chunk of "animal-like" enemies (f.e. the basilisks or the spiders), those falcon mercenaries or whatever they're called, the peasants/miners (they can definitely be stunned. i have no idea what you were doing), syan knights... pretty much everything that isn't 2-3 times your size or isn't one of those stupid lion warriors

anyway, my biggest problem with poise is the way poise works on the player character. actually, the mechanics are good (poise working only during actions that aren't walking or running is an excellent idea compared to the original), but the breakpoints are waaaay too high and the stone ring exists

i also think adaptability/agility is a good idea (i.e. one stat for how "bulky" you want to be and a separate stat for how "agile" you are), but the execution leaves a lot to be desired (there's exactly 0 visual or other indication that you have more/less i-frames). and base agility/adp is perfectly playable, you just have to practice the different/more precise timing on your rolls, which is admittedly hard after who knows how many playthroughs of des/das1/das2 with 100+ agility

btw, bandit (only 82!), warrior and cleric have lower base agility than deprived, i.e. 3 less iframes! i wonder if there are any challenge runs with one of those characters without levelling

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, I always thought a better way of implementing a stat that makes your character "more agile", would've been to have it reduce the overall roll frames (so you have the same amount of iframes but a shorter overall roll animation) and increase the distance covered. I suppose it's not so easy to balance which aspects of a roll should be controlled by a stat like Agi, and which by equip burden. But yeah, any change to the iframe count should definitely be accompanied by an easily recognizable change to the animation.

The "enemies have too much poise" complaint I do understand, and agree with to some extent. Part of it is definitely difficulty balancing, stunlocking low poise enemies is too powerful in DaS (it's absolutely comical, for instance, how easy it is to finish the game by abusing the Zweihander 2HR2). DaS2 also has a thing where some enemies (Alonne Knights spring to mind) do get staggered, but can recover really quickly.

Overall, DaS2 tried to iterate on DaS1's mechanics in that they definitely looked them over and tried to change the broken stuff. Results were mostly positive in my opinion, not perfect, but there was definite progress. A real pity that, due to all the bullshit whining about the game, Miyazaki is likely to regress back to DaS1's imbalanced crap. Kinda expecting another game where you'll need to SL1 to get a modicum of challenge.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Poise does get silly when you realize you can stunlock Dragonrider (a fucking boss), but you can't stunlock peasant derpwads in Brightstone Cove.

Alas...mace power stancing, aka PvE easy mode. :codexisfor:

praetor

Arcane
but you can't stunlock peasant derpwads in Brightstone Cove.

but... you can! (7:54 if timestamp embedding doesn't work. and he's using a frigging longsword... and it's definitely still doable in SotFS as i did it last week with a mastodon halberd ;)). oh, and just to be clear, i kinda do agree that there's too many enemies who have too much poise, i just also think that a lot of those make sense.

Gozma

Arcane
Do they not just get hyperarmor when they run at you holding the pick over their heads? I figured that was what people were complaining about, nothing ever really tripped my poise-weirdness sense there.

countrydoctor

Novice
Almost any build is viable while the same cannot be said about DaS.
What DS1 builds are you talking about exactly?
In my opinion DS2 outright removed the possibility for some builds from the game. Like hypermode glass cannon mages because red tearstone ring ain't working with magic anymore and there's no power within/sanctus/curse shenanigans with base vitality. Plus made scaling almost irrelevant, a weapon with S scaling gets absolutely pathetic damage increase compared even to B-C scaling from DS1, making it much easier to just stop at base requirements for weapons, make them elemental and throw ring of blades+flynn's on top of it for them ~80 AR increase.

Seaking4

Learned
I wish they were keeping DS2 style Estus recovery. Had to be more careful using estus because the get hit/estus tradeoff was almost never worth it in DS2.

LivingOne

Savant
From a gameplay perspective, Dark Souls III seems much like the merging of several of From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki’s design philosophies, almost a mixing bowl of Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. While this might indicate certain features that will make it to the third installment of the franchise, Miyazaki has chosen specific elements to return from the series, and others to return to the catacombs. Here’s a rundown of some key aspects that players can expect – or not expect – to see in Dark Souls III.

Fast Travel

Players can expect to use fast travel from the very beginning of the game, much like Dark Souls II. Miyazaki wants to keep the convenience aspects from previous titles, unless they interfere with game design.

Respecialization

While Miyazaki is unsure if the “Soul Vessel” item will be available in Dark Souls III, he says there will be a method for players to reallocate stat points so that they can change builds around without having to create a completely new character. “I’m not sure if the same sort of item will be implemented, but there will be a method for players to re-assign souls,” Miyazaki says.

New Game+

New Game+ will look more like Dark Souls II than other games, with new weapons, items, and reconfigured enemy locations and placements to keep the surprises and exploration elements fresh in Dark Souls III. Of particular note is that bonfire ascetics will not be returning, so players will be unable to artificially + zones.

Durability

Miyazaki’s take on durability is that Dark Souls III will find a happy medium between the two extremes of Dark Souls and Dark Souls II. “Still tuning the balance, but I personally think that the weapons in Dark Souls II break a little too easily. This was implemented intending for the players to try out many types of weapons, but even so, I felt they broke too quickly. However, in Dark Souls I, they didn’t break enough, and so I’m hoping to find a good balance for Dark Souls III. “

Summoning And Invasion

If you were worried that Dark Souls III would be shifting toward Bloodborne’s bell summons, not to worry; it will have the standard summoning system found in Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, and will use soul level for matching, not soul memory. Here’s something interesting – Miyazaki states that players won’t be locked behind consumable items for invasion; they’ll be able to do so as they wish without having to worry about keeping stocked up on cracked red orbs.

Hidden Walls

Hidden walls will still be there for players to find in Dark Souls III, but forget walking to each section of a zone and tapping the interact button – they’ll be tied to attacking again, like the first Dark Souls. “This is due to my thinking behind this type of feature,” Miyazaki says. “I like to have coincidences happen during battles, or accidental reveals due to swinging weapons around, randomly shooting arrows. I want to implement this sort of surprise discovery in a natural way when playing the game.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/09/08/dark-souls-iii-what-s-in-what-s-out.aspx

magic(mana is back,meh):
"We will make sure that they are not just the same type of spells with different attributes (i.e. Spear type, lightning type) but actually have specific characteristics that can enhance the players' play styles and strategies," Miyazaki says. "Players will be able to have more criteria to accurately choose the different types of spells to best fit their tactics and strategies. This is similar to the thinking behind the characterization of each weapon and their specific battle arts."

Similar to battle arts, Miyazaki hinted that magic would have its own system that would provide players new options with core spells.

Another change coming to the magic system affects limitations on usage. In the previous two Dark Souls games, magic was limited by the number of available charges, which refresh when you sit at a bonfire. Magic in Dark Souls III will be ruled by a more traditional MP bar, similar to Demon's Souls. "By changing the magic management system to an MP scheme, options and freedom of utilization should increase. This way we can better clarify the differences in managing items and magic," Miyazaki says.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...s-up-about-dark-souls-iii-s-magic-system.aspx

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Who cares whether Vancian or MP if even with top notch equip and stuff magic in DS2 was still doing subpar damage, and they dropped most utility spells.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, it really only mattered in DaS anyways, in DaS2 you had so many charges and herbs to replenish magic you'd never run out. Same in DeS. Which I don't mind too much, since it basically just meant more expensive spells required extra time to cast in the form of using herbs as well.

What they really need to do for magic is actually fucking playtest the spells for a change. So sick of having cool looking but utterly worthless spells that fire lasers or rain shit from the sky but do no actual damage or can't hit the broad side of a barn. Sucks all the fun out of exploration when you find a new spell with an awesome description only to find out it's basically just for show.

praetor

Arcane
what they need to do for magic is a complete overhaul to actually make it "magical" (think Dragons Dogma but not quite so extreme). pew pewing different coloured projectiles gets boring really quickly.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Fast Travel

Players can expect to use fast travel from the very beginning of the game, much like Dark Souls II. Miyazaki wants to keep the convenience aspects from previous titles, unless they interfere with game design.

This is terrible news and the reason why From Software will never make an (a)RPG with world design as brilliant as that of King's Field II and IV ever again.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
nice map

003.jpg

Ps: I don't know why the image is not loading. Please see the post below. It's the same thing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom