Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Dark Souls/Elden Ring modding megathread (Archthrones demo available now)

Hell Swarm

Educated
I've put some more time into Archstones and I'm actually going to highly recommend it. The starting weapons all suck so you should drop them for literally anything else you can use. Upgrade material is plentiful in the war torn village so you can get a +3 weapon (or more if you want to farm) pretty early. Once you have a few levels your damage and survivability starts to match up well with what you're fighting. Very rough start but totally worth it. Some of the early bosses I've fought I would say are up there with the best From have done. Absolutely fantastic timing on the attacks. Many look over the top but the dodge timing is just right to be comfortable but needing you to be focused on what you're doing. This is a solid 9/10 game so far. Prepare to get your shit kicked in but enjoy the exploration because it's by far the Fromest souls mod/souls like I've played. It's additions are good, they even improve on From's Elden ring design with the parry timing guard counter and it's as useful here as Elden Ring. And very interesting to see enemies using it too.
High praise. Any idea when they will be done with the mod?
Probably years. If it doesn't crash and burn first.

They have 1 major design flaw. The start of every area is bullshit hard. Enemies way too powerful to deal with. But if you run past them to the 2nd bonfire enemies are reasonable again. Complete bullshit but interesting to note. If you can't handle the start of an area you can probably handle the later parts of it fine. A room with 4 stone knights and a heide knight is way harder than fighting a couple of large hollows in a row.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Archstones just got a sizable patch for the demo. It rebalances a bunch of stuff, adds more upgrade material and the sharp gem. Really helps the game and it feels a lot farier now.

Highly recommending it if you haven't got it yet. Demo has 17 bosses and most of them are pretty decent.

Spike

Educated
I am enjoying this. I am about 9-10 hours in I think. The Carthus area is unfinished, correct? I mean I know most of it is unfinished, but Carthus in particular- ringing those 3 bells does nothing, correct? I also beat a couple areas and I haven't received any souls for the Archthrone yet. Maybe that's in the final product.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I am enjoying this. I am about 9-10 hours in I think. The Carthus area is unfinished, correct? I mean I know most of it is unfinished, but Carthus in particular- ringing those 3 bells does nothing, correct? I also beat a couple areas and I haven't received any souls for the Archthrone yet. Maybe that's in the final product.
You need to ring 5. An NPC will tell you how manys left.

Spike

Educated
You need to ring 5. An NPC will tell you how manys left.
I didn't realize I hadn't explored nor found the actual place where the necromancer is. I have since rung them. Does that NPC girl mention it? I don't recall anyone keeping track. Either way, he's a stamina-emptier. A little obnoxious but overall fun fight!

EDIT: Man, getting real tired of these endless combos. I'm fighting the Phoenix bird guy and it's just obnoxious. Almost got him though even after tanking several hits because it just melts your stamina! And there's no room to counterattack!
EDIT 2: Okay I finished the demo. Super fun! 12 hours. Good stuff and well worth playing.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
This Elden Ring mod sounds amazing.

Sorry about the twitter linking, but it's the only place where there's any information about it so far.

Also, turns out the mod name was already taken by another project, so they're going to change the name to something else.

ADL

Prophet
That sounds great and what I was expecting given GRRM's involvement. If I could take one feature from one game and give it to another, it'd be STALKER's A-Life system in Elden Ring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom