Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls II Gets Release Date, Collector's Edition, and New Info

Servo

Arcane
Correct, you can not be invaded with halved health in Demon's Souls.

Right, and you couldn't summon in soul form either. So I'm not sure how hollow form is a step down from Demon's Souls aside from the fact that there is no health penalty.

Wait, did the amount of health actually matter for invading? With clever rat's ring did you become vulnerable to invasion?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, you just had more health. Though I am no expert; I have been without a PS3 since May. Pretty sure the "step down" guy is wrong.

:<

dunno lah

Arcane
Soul Form in Demon's Souls had plenty of benefits than being in Body Form. With White Tendency, you dealt more damage and you could also sneak up on crystal lizards waaaayyyy more easily.

Lerk

Learned
To those of you who played DS rather successfully:
Did you play with keyboard+mouse or gamepad?

I ask because I played with keyboard + mouse (I always do on PC, even if the game tells me otherwise) and ragequit after 6 hours or so. Finally beat some boss, then couldn't find a campfire (note to game designers: ALWAYS have some kind of saving mechanism after a boss) and got killed by random mobs. Lost ~3 hours of trying to beat the boss. Couldn't be assed to march through all the cannon fodder mobs to the boss again. Too frustrating for me.

Maybe it would have been easier with a gamepad? Not that I would ever like to use one on PC (note to game designers: if you do a game for PC, make the PC controls work!), but it would be interesting to know.

Honestly, this attitude completely baffles me. It's a console port, designed from the ground up with a pad in mind.

Complaints about DS being unplayable with a MKB setup is kinda like wondering why you cant play tennis very well when armed with a baseball bat.

Get a fucking pad, they're cheap and you'll use it for more than just DS.

Lerk

Learned
Soul Form in Demon's Souls had plenty of benefits than being in Body Form. With White Tendency, you dealt more damage and you could also sneak up on crystal lizards waaaayyyy more easily.
Should also be pointed out that the Cling Ring basically reduced soul form health penalty by 50%, but the "DeS wuz hardur than DS" crowd always like to overlook that. Actually, rings in DeS are far more useful generally than the mere 3 rings that are worth a damn in DS, but they like to gloss over that too.

DeS had better bosses though.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly, this attitude completely baffles me. It's a console port, designed from the ground up with a pad in mind.

Complaints about DS being unplayable with a MKB setup is kinda like wondering why you cant play tennis very well when armed with a baseball bat.
That someone expects a PC game to be well playable with typical PC controls baffles you? You should work on your logic.

A console port is no excuse. Many console ports can be played just fine with MKB (and to be honest, DS controls were not that bad, but certainly not good, either).
Darksiders can be played perfectly with PC controls. So it can be done, and it's not too hard, which means there is no excuse for not doing it properly.
This works in both ways, btw. Games that are ported from PC to consoles (some strategy games, Diablo, Minecraft, ...) also have to work on controls and nobody would expect console users to buy MKB for "proper" controls.
Only with very few games, your "tennis with baseball bat" argument is valid. Beat-em-ups come to mind (like Street Fighter). But action games like DS or Darksiders can be done well with MKB, so they should be. Maybe your standards are just that low, fine. But mine aren't.

subotaiy

Cipher
In Souls games analog movement makes a huge difference sadly, so k+m will always be dissappointing. Just a buy a cheap chinese controller.

Servo

Arcane
Darksiders can be played perfectly with PC controls. So it can be done, and it's not too hard, which means there is no excuse for not doing it properly.

The Batman games had great PC controls too. I actually broke down and bought myself a gamepad when I wanted to play Darksiders though. Not necessary but I didn't want to break my keyboard.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Psycho Mantis (or whatever his name was) was a trick boss with the things he does to your controller.

Mantis was more of a puzzle boss. There is no trick to it, he's legitimately threatening from the beginning to the end, you just have to survive long enough until you find out how to bypass his invulnerability (or wait until the Colonel tells you, which is what I imagine most people had to do if they didn't read spoilers)
I beated MGS in wapanese, so i didn't know the controller trick. You just need to try to hit him seven or eight times, and the next hit will score damage. It's a bit longer tough.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
People who complain about dark souls controls in Kb+mouse are pussies. Try playing mgs2 and RE4 with kb+mouse to see what a bad kb+mouse configuration is.

I beated MGS in wapanese, so i didn't know the controller trick. You just need to try to hit him seven or eight times, and the next hit will score damage. It's a bit longer tough.

How did you manage to get past the "Call Meryl, her codec frequency is on the CD cover" part? Even knowing I was supposed to use the codec to advance the plot, I still had to try every frequency available (0 to 200, I think).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

How did you manage to get past the "Call Meryl, her codec frequency is on the CD cover" part? Even knowing I was supposed to use the codec to advance the plot, I still had to try every frequency available (0 to 200, I think).
You answered your own question. Still, that was a lot of hours stuck without knowing what to do.

dunno lah

Arcane

You answered your own question. Still, that was a lot of hours stuck without knowing what to do.

Strange...For me, I only had to try a couple of times and suddenly her frequency appeared in the codec memory.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Strange...For me, I only had to try a couple of times and suddenly her frequency appeared in the codec memory.
I didn't know what to do, since it was wapanese

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom